Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
Aug 17, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #211 of 578
@jkbuha... so I know I said I'd pass along the info on the battery months ago, but amazingly, FiiO has STILL not managed to figure out how to get a replacement battery to me after nearly six months. (Grr.)
Having said that, here's the best I can decipher what's printed on the dead battery... in hopes you can figure out anything that will make adaptive charging a reality on the player in the future:

On one side, AFC 12.92W 4.3V However on the other side, there's a bar code with what seems to be conflicting info:
AEC604495 (?) 3400mA
6436K08481 3.8V

Bear in mind some of the above was VERY hard to read even under a magnifying glass (that last 5 in the upper-left series on the bar code side, for example) and I can't claim more than semi-accuracy.

Does any of that make ANY sense whatsoever?

S.

It does make sense indeed - thank you very much. This proves the standard X5iii battery is the LP604495 family. The good news is it can be quite cheaply sourced, as @shiro75fr pointed out. I'll see if it is a smart battery (ie: I can write a specific driver for it) and will report back.

An update on the FiiO kernel development. A lot of work is happening under the (kernel) hood; I have had to write a lot of new (foundation) code to support the upcoming new functionality such as anxiety schedulers, power-efficient workqueues and additional DXBOOST performance for 1416/1704/2016 kernels. For anyone that has more than a passing interest in C code, feel free to peruse the changes and daily updates at https://github.com/jkbuha/FiiO_Kernel_Android

V3.4 (or likely V4.0) will be released once I've squashed a couple of nasty bugs. In the meantime, happy holidays :)

Aug 17, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #213 of 578
EF5EB206-7963-4A15-8B5D-51092A465D3E.png

42902D5D-5C03-4FA9-AF95-90BE1BC04127.png

9577A62F-25A0-4F5A-A7DE-018C9C05AF65.gif

Aug 17, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #214 of 578
Aug 17, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #215 of 578
As I recall when I had mine open, it wan't a simple pull and replace deal. Can you provide tips for installing new battery for future users? Much appreciate whatever you can tell us.
I could use a little assistance in that area as well. To remove the old battery you need to separate the battery from the back cover by loosening the adhesive (a credit card or a paint scraper works well as long as you avoid tearing the battery open and venting any nasty gases). Detaching it from the player is as simple as removing one screw and a small bracket that keeps the ribbon cable in place.

The tricky part seems to be that the circuit board/ribbon cable assembly on the original battery is not present on the replacement so clearly one needs somehow to remove that from the damaged battery and attach it to the leads on the new one. Any tips on that would be welcomed. (I'm assuming there's some soldering required...?)

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #216 of 578
I could use a little assistance in that area as well. To remove the old battery you need to separate the battery from the back cover by loosening the adhesive (a credit card or a paint scraper works well as long as you avoid tearing the battery open and venting any nasty gases). Detaching it from the player is as simple as removing one screw and a small bracket that keeps the ribbon cable in place.

The tricky part seems to be that the circuit board/ribbon cable assembly on the original battery is not present on the replacement so clearly one needs somehow to remove that from the damaged battery and attach it to the leads on the new one. Any tips on that would be welcomed. (I'm assuming there's some soldering required...?)

Shame i didn't took pictures when i done it. This is surprisingly super simple to do. Just take a picture of how the battery is connected to avoid to invert the positive and the negative.

You just have to remove the rubber, and disconnect the battery. When you change it, or you solder it like before to the small circuit, or you cut the cable of the old battery and you connect the new one instead. Honestly i am super bad with electronics but i found it very simple.

Just a shame i didn't found a battery of the same size with more capacity...

Aug 18, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #217 of 578
Shame i didn't took pictures when i done it. This is surprisingly super simple to do. Just take a picture of how the battery is connected to avoid to invert the positive and the negative.

You just have to remove the rubber, and disconnect the battery. When you change it, or you solder it like before to the small circuit, or you cut the cable of the old battery and you connect the new one instead. Honestly i am super bad with electronics but i found it very simple.

Just a shame i didn't found a battery of the same size with more capacity...

Good enough. I'm sure I can figure it out... and perhaps take some photos of the process myself. And that's probably enough thread hijacking for now. We now resume our regularly scheduled kernel discussion... :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #218 of 578
Good day.

I have an x5iii with stock firmware 1.1.5

This is the FW where BT sound quality is great. firmwares beyond that makes the treble crack.

is it possible to flash your kernel in an old firmware version? thanks

Aug 25, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #219 of 578
A86D10AD-BEC2-4B19-B55E-CC6E49B44443.jpeg
What...? No issues with Bluetooth here on current firmware (1.2.5 or 1.2.5 fidelizer)

I don’t know if the libaudioflinger even affects Bluetooth, but just install the kernel on new firmware and replace libaudioflinger with the version from the firmware you like. IDK. Seems weird.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #220 of 578
In wired audio, no problem. i have been experimenting for days. The song I am using fro testing is Lindsey Stirling's Phantom of the Opera Medley. Using the X5iii latest firmware and so as the Fidelizer ones, the high notes around the 3:31 mark cracks. Sounds like rustling plastic baggie. In my iPad or Android phone, sounds great. I switched firmwares and found out that the the 1.1.5 and 1.1.4 sounded better. No rustling/cracking trebles.

My BT headset is the Sony WF1000xm3. I havent tried using other bt headsets

http://fiio.net:8000/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=43153

Aug 25, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #221 of 578

What...? No issues with Bluetooth here on current firmware (1.2.5 or 1.2.5 fidelizer)

I don’t know if the libaudioflinger even affects Bluetooth, but just install the kernel on new firmware and replace libaudioflinger with the version from the firmware you like. IDK. Seems weird.

i did that. latest firmware, libaudioflinger that contains the 1.1.4. still no good.

Aug 25, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #222 of 578
Well the custom kernel isn't officially supported before 1.2.1 UNLESS TOLD OTHERWISE.

You want to try it on an earlier version, be my guest. What player are you using, stock music app?

Your headphones only support SBC & AAC, so whatever is happening in an earlier firmware, must be playing nicer with those formats.

I recommend trying free version of poweramp or neutron, and see if this persists across all firmwares.

Aug 25, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #223 of 578
Lindsey Stirling... wow good taste.

1.1.5 is a bit uncharted territory here, but what I'd suggest is to install 1.2.3 and then the latest version of the custom kernel. The setup wizard will allow you to select all the versions of lubaudioflinger from 1.1.0 to 1.2.5.

Aug 25, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #224 of 578
Well the custom kernel isn't officially supported before 1.2.1 UNLESS TOLD OTHERWISE.

You want to try it on an earlier version, be my guest. What player are you using, stock music app?

Your headphones only support SBC & AAC, so whatever is happening in an earlier firmware, must be playing nicer with those formats.

I recommend trying free version of poweramp or neutron, and see if this persists across all firmwares.

Thanks.

I tried using non-stock music player with firmwares 1.2.1, 1.2.4 and 1.2.5. Onkyo, the sony music center, neutron etc. Still not good. Still cracking

But I think you are on to something. the HWA support did not come out until 1.2.* So i think that did something to the SBC/AAC codecs.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #225 of 578
Lindsey Stirling... wow good taste.

1.1.5 is a bit uncharted territory here, but what I'd suggest is to install 1.2.3 and then the latest version of the custom kernel. The setup wizard will allow you to select all the versions of lubaudioflinger from 1.1.0 to 1.2.5.

I already did. Still cracking. I guess the lubaudiofinger doesn't touch BT transmission parameters or whatever they are called.
But anyway, i tried flashing the 3.3.2 kernel to 1.1.5 ROM. works just fine. no crashing......yet. I will update if some adverse events happen.

What would could happen if a kernel is not supported by the firmware? it wont run? get bricked?

I see the notifications that 3.3 optimizations has been applied. I chose the average setting. Only Google apps remain. Also checked the Fiio app to autostart; and it does. So i guess, I am good to go.

1.1.5 firmware with the latest kernel would tide me over for now. I use the WF-1000xm3 more than the wired 'phones.

Thanks for your responses

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back