Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
Jul 31, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #182 of 575
Thanks so much for your hard work. I’ve installed the latest version and all seems to work well but I have noticed I’m losing a large chunk of battery on sleep mode.
Left the unit on standby this morning at 63% and came back after work 8 hours later and I’m down to 48%.
Is that a normal battery drain when player is idle, or is that excessive?

Jul 31, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #183 of 575
Recommendations: install better battery stats to see details about any drain
as well as greenify.

Not to squash any hope of improving that, but 63->48 is 15% in 8 hours?
However that's about 1-2% per hour, that's not far off what to expect. Idle power off timer would certainly cut down on that drain, without question. Player only takes 30 seconds to power on, optimizations prompt appears 10-15 seconds later, then you're good to go.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #185 of 575
Hi everyone! Again with the same problem. I did a full wipe using Fiio Tool back to 1.2.3 and everything worked fine (no loading problems) then I installed 3.3 kernel and again: stuck in Welcome screen. What happen? Every time I install the kernel I will get the player corrupted? What are the steps to delete the corrupted file that every time gets me stuck in welcome screen? I’ve tried many things and nothing...maybe my device can’t use the custom kernel anymore.

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #186 of 575
Hi everyone! Again with the same problem. I did a full wipe using Fiio Tool back to 1.2.3 and everything worked fine (no loading problems) then I installed 3.3 kernel and again: stuck in Welcome screen. What happen? Every time I install the kernel I will get the player corrupted? What are the steps to delete the corrupted file that every time gets me stuck in welcome screen? I’ve tried many things and nothing...maybe my device can’t use the custom kernel anymore.

I have not happened upon (myself) the 1.2.3 img to use with the firmware upgrade tool. I have always used the 1.2.1 img if I needed a fresh start.
But do you perform a subsequent factory data reset with erase of internal storage afterwards?
There should be little reason why your player can't use custom kernel even in 1416 MHz variant.

My steps are always:
FW upgrade tool -> 1.2.1 OFW
Factory data reset w/ internal storage wipe
Technical support application upgrade w/ local 1.2.X .zip
sometimes another courtesy factory data reset
Android Tool to add TWRP
TWRP flash superSU, wipe dalvik/cache, advanced- fix permissions, reboot
TWRP flash kernel 2.8 (fixes any bugs with init.d scripts)
Get optimizations prompt
TWRP flash kernel 3.32
Wait for reboot prompt,
Reboot,
Get optimizations prompt.
Go back to TWRP and delete whatever system applications/musicFX backups AROMA installer created, as well as pre-install apk for es file explorer found in system partition.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #187 of 575
I followed your steps and it worked. Now I installed SuperSU and the device doesn’t get stuck in welcome screen. I used the 1.2.1 official firmware too. One last question, is there any difference in sound between the old music app (the one in 1.2.1) and the newest one?
Greetings.

Aug 3, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #188 of 575
I followed your steps and it worked. Now I installed SuperSU and the device doesn’t get stuck in welcome screen. I used the 1.2.1 official firmware too. One last question, is there any difference in sound between the old music app (the one in 1.2.1) and the newest one?
Greetings.
Sounds differences are aligned with the audio_flinger variant chosen in the kernel installer, and the removal of system EQ (musicfx, etc).

Aug 3, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #189 of 575
Aug 14, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #190 of 575
Aug 14, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #191 of 575
I've noticed that FiiO Music App on Google play (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fiio.music&hl=en) is 1.1.4.
Don't update to this version? Or is it a good idea to use the Google Play version?
Change notes only list “fixes for crashes on certain models of phones”. So there’s nothing to see here for us X5iii-ers. Installing from google play has been a source of breaking Pure Music Mode (unless there’s some permissions that need to be set that I’m unaware the specifics about)

Aug 14, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #192 of 575
Change notes only list “fixes for crashes on certain models of phones”. So there’s nothing to see here for us X5iii-ers. Installing from google play has been a source of breaking Pure Music Mode (unless there’s some permissions that need to be set that I’m unaware the specifics about)

True, Pure Music doesn't work if you install this version. Uninstalling this version restores Pure Music.
Also realizing that I asked this question in the custom kernel thread - sorry about that!

Aug 15, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #193 of 575
I'm new to all this but today I upgraded my X5iii with the Purist 1.2.4 and the v.v32 kernel (running at 1416) but wow did it get hot when Iwas scanning for music/charging! (this thing needs a heatsink!). So the SD Cards came out and it went in the fridge for 5 minutes and now I'm back with the stock FiiO 1.2.1 firmware (aand upgrading to 1.2.5 via the OTA). Any thoughts, or suggestions, as to what might be wrong before I try again?
FYI I followed these instruction :https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-dual-card-slot.828402/page-965#post-14769688 (though the link to SuperSu is broken)

Aug 15, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #194 of 575
I'm new to all this but today I upgraded my X5iii with the Purist 1.2.4 and the v.v32 kernel (running at 1416) but wow did it get hot when Iwas scanning for music/charging! (this thing needs a heatsink!). So the SD Cards came out and it went in the fridge for 5 minutes and now I'm back with the stock FiiO 1.2.1 firmware (aand upgrading to 1.2.5 via the OTA). Any thoughts, or suggestions, as to what might be wrong before I try again?
FYI I followed these instruction :https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-dual-card-slot.828402/page-965#post-14769688 (though the link to SuperSu is broken)
Sorry about that! Just fixed the link.

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #195 of 575

Use a 5V charger or power bank to charge and play. 9V charger will bake your player - added value of 9-12V quick chargers. Smartphones probably have a better devised heat dissipation from the interior of the device through the surface - maybe also control the interior temperature.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back