Fiio x5 vs Ibasso dx90
Sep 11, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #106 of 446
X5 sound is neutral with a bit of warmth it works for any headphones out there. Dual micro sd card, stand alone USB DAC and good internal amp, Great value!
Dx90 slightly clinical, very clean and less textured sound. Better for modern music. Single micro sd, no usb DAC and weaker internal amp.

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #107 of 446
X5 sound is neutral with a bit of warmth it works for any headphones out there. Dual micro sd card, stand alone USB DAC and good internal amp, Great value!
Dx90 slightly clinical, very clean and less textured sound. Better for modern music. Single micro sd, no usb DAC and weaker internal amp.

what do you mean by "better for modern music"?

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #108 of 446
I don't agree with that description. DX90 is very smooth, harmonic, more textured and already on the warmer side of things. Rockbox makes it more forward and jump a bit more. I personally prefer the stock FW but prefer either to the X5. All IMO of course. I didn't find the X5 very natural sounding. IMO, it has too much bass and a less even sounding top end. To me it creates more of it's own sound than the more natural DX90. Extra bass is not more natural. It's an unnatural amount of bass. Of course, not all will agree on my take on two good pieces whose differences get overstated to help describe them and you should always listen for yourself.
smile.gif

Sep 12, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #109 of 446
  I don't agree with that description. DX90 is very smooth, harmonic, more textured and already on the warmer side of things. Rockbox makes it more forward and jump a bit more. I personally prefer the stock FW but prefer either to the X5. All IMO of course. I didn't find the X5 very natural sounding. IMO, it has too much bass and a less even sounding top end. To me it creates more of it's own sound than the more natural DX90. Extra bass is not more natural. It's an unnatural amount of bass. Of course, not all will agree on my take on two good pieces whose differences get overstated to help describe them and you should always listen for yourself.
smile.gif

well now im completley in a mist.....:frowning2: i dont have where to audition them thats why i need some onest opinions on both....

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #111 of 446
  There's always the poll results to consider. It shows a preference but also that agreement will never be universal.

off course but considering some of the reviews here i lean twords the x5 becaus of its stronger internal amp and body off the sound but i like the ergonomics on the dx 90 more ........ duno

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #112 of 446
X5 is as strong as they get but the DX90 will drive anything but high impedance, inefficient full size phones quite well. More power doesn't sound better unless you need it. DX90 has more than enough body. I guess it comes down to what is enough and what is too much. X5 had too much for me and DX90 is full bodied, IMO. AKs are leaner for instance and I'd go their direction before the X5s, but again, that's only for me. What I may personally consider big bass and sparkly highs seems to be favored by many posters so how that relates to every individual will vary.

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #113 of 446
  what do you mean by "better for modern music"?

get more confuse? Yep, it happens here..

EDM, electronics, Rap , hop and new pop are modern music to me. Both players are capable of doing that just fine but according to my taste DX 90 sounds more suitable for this kind of music. I listen to 80's, 90's, rock n roll, R&B, Slow Jams, EDM, Classical and I found X5 to be better sounding as it has more soul and natural timbre while DX feels a bit artificial IMO.

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #114 of 446
Just the opposite for me though I don't listen to much Rap, House or current top 40 type stuff though some things do catch my ear. I do own some of each and like you, own lots of old rock along with things like Radiohead, Jack White etc. etc. When I evaluate, I always make sure to use some  acoustic jazz and classical recordings that I have 1st hand knowledge of and thought the DX90 was more true to them. There a specific cut (First Song) with Laurence Hobgood, Kurt Elling and Charlie Haden that sounds good on everything yet can tell you a lot. Charlie used a Vuillaume bass with a uniquely full sound that's difficult to capture both in recording and playback. It's a good test for bass character on anything, a well tuned and recorded Steinway is also telling and I have heard Kurt without a mic.

None of these DAPs are perfect, far from it but I appreciate what iBasso have accomplished for the price and package. I don't think it's necessarily the best I've heard but the things I've heard that I feel are competitive all cost over twice as much. For me the X5 obviously isn't one of those but for others it is. In an imperfect DAP world, I find the DX90 a nice place to hang my hat for a while if not longer. I honestly prefer a couple of my Hisound players to the X5 even if they have a bit of an unwarm sound, some thermal noise and are limited to 24/48.

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #115 of 446
  Just the opposite for me though I don't listen to much Rap, House or current top 40 type stuff though somethings do catch my ear. I do own some of each that have caught my ear and like you own lots of old rock along with things like Radiohead, Jack White etc. etc. When I evaluate, I always make sure to use some  acoustic jazz and classical recordings that I have 1st hand knowledge of and thought the DX90 was more true to them. There a specific cut (First Song) with Laurence Hobgood, Kurt Elling and Charlie Haden That's sounds good on everything yet can tell you a lot. Charlie used a Vuillaume bass with a uniquely full sound that's difficult to capture both in recording and playback. It's a good test for bass character on anything, a well tuned and recorded Steinway is also telling and I have heard Kurt without a mic.

None of these DAPs are perfect, far from it but I appreciate what iBasso have accomplished for the price and package. I don't think it's necessarily the best I've heard but the things I've heard that I feel are competitive all cost over twice as much. For me the X5 obviously isn't one of those but for others it is. In an imperfect DAP world, I find the DX90 a nice place to hang my hat for a while if not longer. I honestly prefer a couple of my Hisound players to the X5 even if they have a bit of an unwarm sound, some thermal noise and are limited to 24/48.

well  its clear you dont like the x5 even if it had 100,000$ electronics in it........ ,i like the sound to be alive with body and clear i dont consider myself a basshead but for electronica you need a good bass reproduction, i like to have a wide sound stage BUT to wide and some music that is not meant to sound like they sang in a stadium will sound unatural(my honest opinin)........

Second i want to have at my disposal many functionalities beacuse it makes the experience even more lovley.Yes i like the touch scren and the 3 buton combos of the ibasso more but at the end of the day its just a music player and it does just that,play music,not browsing the internet watch clips or other stuff so it doesent matter to much if it has touch screen or not.

just my 2 cents.......

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #116 of 446
I couldn't care less about the touch screen or buttons or I wouldn't like my HiSound. I was only referring to my take on the sound and I am a lot more into getting the message than I am soundstage and the like. I just find that when it's really good at playing music, those other things present themselves but only if in the recording.

You are correct. Even though I'm accustomed to rather costly home kit, I don't think cost of components equates to goodness and I just didn't care for the x5 as an all in one. My understanding is that it works well with an external amp though I didn't try it that way. It's also Fiio so it's also going to be well built, sorted and work well as DAC on multiple platforms etc. but that's something else I wont do because no DAP will be a good enough source for my home setup. We probably have somewhat different needs and what works for me may not for you but for my ear and needs, there's clear preference. 
smile.gif

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #117 of 446
If no DAC will be good enough and hate the idea of all in one gadget so why are you here and giving people suggestions?

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #119 of 446
If no DAC will be good enough and hate the idea of all in one gadget so why are you here and giving people suggestions?

Because it's a portable device and quite contrary to your assertion, I only like DAPs as all in ones (just not the X5 that way) for their primary purpose of portability. Though I've made a couple amps for fun, I won't use them as I think you often do, which is great but not for me. A DAP needs to be what I desire as an all in one. The specificity regarding the X5 was used to differentiate from it's LO use as I didn't try it that way. I'm also sensible enough to know that things aren't all good or all bad as most forums make them out to be. Never said no DAC will be good enough. I said no 'DAP' will be a good enough DAC though I quite enjoy my stand alone dedicated DAC... not used via usb. It also doesn't mean some DAPs can't be good DACs, it's just relative to expectations and associated kit.

There's no need to be rude because we disagree and please reread my last post because you've misunderstood what I said on a couple of points. I respect your opinion even if I don't agree with it. I'm quite honestly happy that you're happy with your device. Seems you're not happy until I'm not happy. I can very much enjoy my DAPs on the go and not expect them to be as good as my home system. In fact headphones can never sound as natural as a well setup, great pair of speakers in a good room. Doesn't mean I can't love and thoroughly enjoy my earphones and DAPs because I very much do. I'd like to think I can appreciate products for they are without deceiving myself into thinking it needs to best at everything. Doing one thing very well is difficult enough and to be lauded. The rest is gravy.

I'd hope that we could agree to disagree about our diverging opinions without confrontation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back