FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Jan 22, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #451 of 1,895
For all of you who are putting a lot of ALAC or FLAC files into your player - are you able to retain GENRE, ALBUM ARTIST and COMPOSER ID3 fields or do you have to delete them to get the player to recognize the songs?   And any issues with scanning/recognizing the songs?

Also, in the Album view, do you see a thumbnail of the album cover?

Thanks!

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #452 of 1,895

Can you elaborate on that, I would be concerned if gapless is not 100% gapless. Even the slightest break would put me off. 

OK - a little more time - and a few more albums trialed.

Gapless is very close - but not 100% seamless.  "In Absentia" was very good - but that album doesn't tend to transition from one track straight into the next.

On Pink Floyds "The Final Cut" - again very good transitions.

However on both "Wish You Were Here" and "The Wall", there are very slight transitions between tracks that are noticeable.  The little jumps/imperfections are very slight, but audible.  They haven't worried me in the slightest - but if you are particularly OCD about it I guess it could annoy some people.  All in all, gapless is pretty good IMO.

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #453 of 1,895
if x5 is connected to an android via otg cable as a dac will it drain the battery of the phone or will it be like the e18 not affecting the battery of the phone

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #454 of 1,895
  For all of you who are putting a lot of ALAC or FLAC files into your player - are you able to retain GENRE, ALBUM ARTIST and COMPOSER ID3 fields or do you have to delete them to get the player to recognize the songs?   And any issues with scanning/recognizing the songs?

Also, in the Album view, do you see a thumbnail of the album cover?

Thanks!

Player can list by Album, Genre and Artist (I haven't seen by Composer...). But they work with the previous 3 categories. I didn't have to delete or modify any FLAC file (tags). And it did recognize them.

Albums appear in list form not thumb form (as far as I have seen playing with it at the moment).

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #456 of 1,895
  How was the Line Out executed on the X5? Is it a absolutely clean LO from DAC completely bypassing the board?

Can't say for sure how they exactly implemented the DAC bypass, that would be a question for James to ask but I can tell you one thing, as much as the HO is very well implemented, so is the LO, clean as a whistle.

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #457 of 1,895

Can't say for sure how they exactly implemented the DAC bypass, that would be a question for James to ask but I can tell you one thing, as much as the HO is very well implemented, so is the LO, clean as a whistle.

I would like to try one dap with absolutely clean LO from DAC, by that I mean completely bypassing the board with or without caps (so at least I could remove it if needed).

You can tell when you have a clean LO and a clean output from amp because it sounds with a different sound stage and amount of details. In general I just want the neutral/transparent sound but hate the colored sound regardless of the dap price tag.

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #458 of 1,895
  However on both "Wish You Were Here" and "The Wall", there are very slight transitions between tracks that are noticeable.  The little jumps/imperfections are very slight, but audible.  They haven't worried me in the slightest - but if you are particularly OCD about it I guess it could annoy some people.  All in all, gapless is pretty good IMO.

Are you sure you have Gapless switched on in the system menu?  Are you getting this result with FLAC files or just mp3? 

If this is with FLAC, then this is totally unacceptable.  Even the X3's gapless playback is now flawless. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #459 of 1,895
Are you sure you have Gapless switched on in the system menu?

I'm sorry - but that's actually insulting my intelligence even asking that.  I mean really.  Of course I do.

Are you getting this result with FLAC files or just mp3? 

I've only had the unit just on 24 hours.  All the albums I've tested have been CD rips.  All to FLAC.  I'll try with MP3 later.

If this is with FLAC, then this is totally unacceptable.  Even the X3's gapless playback is now flawless. 

Wow - try rereading what you just wrote.  There is a very minute (but audible) switch on two albums.  Two others are fine.  I have some more testing to do - that's the nature of early impressions.  And considering that the X3's gapless wasn't 100% for early release - but improved as they developed - I'm sure that they'll do the same for the X5.  It could even be my albums (I have to check them too).  I have to admit though - I do find your sense of entitlement ("this is totally unacceptable") pretty much over the top.

Maybe try taking a breath and realising this is a DAP - it's not pacemaker or other life necessitating device.  Perhaps a sense of perspective ......

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #460 of 1,895
OK  - I just checked again.

With my iPhone4 and also home system - the opening transition between track one and two on "Wish You Were Here" is seamless (so it's not the album).  On the X5 there is a very small gap (very small).

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #461 of 1,895
  Wow - try rereading what you just wrote.  There is a very minute (but audible) switch on two albums.  Two others are fine.  I have some more testing to do - that's the nature of early impressions.  And considering that the X3's gapless wasn't 100% for early release - but improved as they developed - I'm sure that they'll do the same for the X5.  It could even be my albums (I have to check them too).  I have to admit though - I do find your sense of entitlement ("this is totally unacceptable") pretty much over the top.

Maybe try taking a breath and realising this is a DAP - it's not pacemaker or other life necessitating device.  Perhaps a sense of perspective ....

Oh, come on.  Who's being overly dramatic here, me or you?  Try taking a breath and re-reading what you just wrote. 

I was genuinely tring to be helpful when I asked if you had gapless switched on.  Several people complained that gapless did not work on the X3 because they didn't realize there was an on/off switch.  Which is perfectly reasonable BTW - why would anyone ever want to switch gapless off? 

I maintain that non-working gapless with FLAC is totally unacceptable, especially considering that FiiO has already gotten it right on the X3 firmware.  FLAC is a gapless format by design, mp3 is another story - that's why I asked. 

Sheesh.  People are SOOOO sensitive here! 

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #463 of 1,895
  if x5 is connected to an android via otg cable as a dac will it drain the battery of the phone or will it be like the e18 not affecting the battery of the phone

any an answer the above question

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #464 of 1,895
any an answer the above question

The X5 wasn't designed with being a smartphone DAC in mind. It is after all a mobile DAP in its own right :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back