FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Feb 19, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #1,381 of 1,895
Why do Fiio need these review dap's back? Just let them float around for review as long as there are interests.

The last person who receive no further request for review within 30 days will keep it. So if you want to keep the unit, you better let others review first.

Let the new game begin.
wink_face.gif

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #1,382 of 1,895
Why do Fiio need these review dap's back? Just let them float around for review as long as there are interests.

The last person who receive no further request for review within 30 days will keep it. So if you want to keep the unit, you better let others review first.

Let the new game begin. :wink_face:

I'll just tell the reviewer after me that I never received it. I should be able to keep it than right.

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #1,388 of 1,895
Hey guys, I've got the x3 when it first came out and I pair it with my jds labs C5 amp (and turn on bass boost).  I'm addicted to the c5's bass, and I own a jh16 fp.  That being said, I was wondering if anyone who has used the x5 messed with the bass eq?  I think I already got a great setup, but at the same time I also like clarity and brightness (Like what I got from my car audio set up when I was younger).  I was thinking about maybe just getting the x5 and not using an amp with it, just maxing the bass.  Anyone got comparisons?  (Yeah yeah I know 'ewww bass head')

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #1,390 of 1,895
Keep in mind that both bcarr and miceblue are third in line in reviewing thier samples of the X5. lee730 and HK_sends have reviewed the same X5 as miceblue and gelocks has reviewed the same unit as bcarr (vitavox has heard it too but has yet to post his review).

I can assure you that any problems I may be encountering are not the result of vitavox's packing job. The unit I received was so well protected that I suspect it could have survived a nuclear blast wave.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #1,391 of 1,895
Mmk, I just handed the touring X5 unit to barra today. We had a nice chat about some of the problems I've brought up and I got the chance to hear the DX50.

Even though I didn't completely enjoy the X5's sound, I think I'd take the X5 over the DX50 both in terms of usability (my #1 thing to consider in a portable media player) and in terms of overall sound.

I fully charged the X5 from this morning and it took about 9 hours total via laptop USB. That's quite a long time.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #1,392 of 1,895

Could be - but the reviews so far have been too consistent.  I'm more wondering whether there is a variation in the review samples.  That would actually be more worrying .......

I'm 27 so I kinda doubt its the age factor in this. Plus having owned the O2 amp and finding it very fatiguing and aggressive itself is a complete 180 from miceblues impressions on that amp. I'm not the only one to find it to be that way either.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #1,393 of 1,895
I informed Joe Bloggs yesterday, but when the X5 is set to a storage device (accessing the microSD cards), sometimes the device will randomly eject from my computer and Mac OS gives me the "you have improperly disconnected a device from your computer" kind of message. This has happened in both firmware 1.0 and 1.10, but I'll try doing this on a different USB port since it may very well just be a bad port (even though this is a 2013 computer).

Are you running OS X Mavericks by any chance? If so, a lot of people are complaining about random USB ejection with the Mavericks builds so far. I know I've got it. It happens with USB external HDs and mounted SD cards - like my X3, for instance. I don't blame it on my X3, though, since I know this is a known issue with my computer's OS.

Anyone running Windows or an earlier version of OS X experiencing random ejection of their X5's cards?

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #1,394 of 1,895
I informed Joe Bloggs yesterday, but when the X5 is set to a storage device (accessing the microSD cards), sometimes the device will randomly eject from my computer and Mac OS gives me the "you have improperly disconnected a device from your computer" kind of message. This has happened in both firmware 1.0 and 1.10, but I'll try doing this on a different USB port since it may very well just be a bad port (even though this is a 2013 computer).

Are you running OS X Mavericks by any chance? If so, a lot of people are complaining about random USB ejection with the Mavericks builds so far. I know I've got it. It happens with USB external HDs and mounted SD cards - like my X3, for instance. I don't blame it on my X3, though, since I know this is a known issue with my computer's OS.

Anyone running Windows or an earlier version of OS X experiencing random ejection of their X5's cards?

Nope, I'm still running OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion. I've heard a lot of issues going on with Mavericks so I'm avoiding that for now.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #1,395 of 1,895
Mmk, I just handed the touring X5 unit to barra today. We had a nice chat about some of the problems I've brought up and I got the chance to hear the DX50.

Even though I didn't completely enjoy the X5's sound, I think I'd take the X5 over the DX50 both in terms of usability (my #1 thing to consider in a portable media player) and in terms of overall sound.

I fully charged the X5 from this morning and it took about 9 hours total via laptop USB. That's quite a long time.

Having just gotten the X5 from miceblue tonight, my first quick impressions are quite good. Given the recent conversations in the forum, I was worried that something may have gone wrong with the unit, but I don't think that is the case as it sounds great and handles anything I throw at it with great authority. I would just chalk the differences up to a difference in opinion or expectations, some sort of bad pairing, or some other uncontrollable circumstances. However, to put it into perspective, as miceblue mentioned above, he liked the X5 sound more than my DX50 (FW1.2.8) paired with my BH2 which sounds great as well. The X5 is definitely a step above by itself leaving no desire to add an amp. Now back to listening to see just how much of a step above. 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back