FiiO X5 II Custom Themes Thread
Feb 5, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #213 of 321
  Is anyone able to make anything out of it?

I might want an un-scrambled version too, I might dig deep into it, but from the start, I am going to be too afraid to install it on my X5II. 

I have zero experience with mipsl and disassembly, but I will see what I can do. My main player is now the Plenue 1, so I'm not too afraid of installing modded firmwares onto my X5.

In case you want to know how to scramble and descramble manually, here's the detailed tutorial: 
1. Have a linux machine or virtual machine ready; I will only cover steps for distros using apt/dpkg that comes with debian/ubuntu/derivatives

2. Install the regular prerequisites, either by installing build-essential (sudo apt-get install build-essential) or just g++ (sudo apt-get install g++)

3. Download the files here, easier to do using wget on the raw files

4. If not in a terminal already, open one and cd to the place you have the downloaded files

5. Build packtools (g++ packtools.cpp -o packtools)

6. Throw the Fiio firmware into the same directory

7. If it's not unpacked yet (still in .fw format), ./packtools --unpack -i firmware_file_name.fw -o /your/output/directory)

8. Take the sys.bin from the unpacked firmware and place it into the directory with packtools as well

9. Unscramble the bin (./packtools --descramble -i your_original_sys.bin -o the_new_sys.bin)

10. You can rescramble by running the exact same command (./packtools --descramble -i your_modified_sys.bin -o modified_scrambled_sys.bin)

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #215 of 321

I have zero experience with mipsl and disassembly, but I will see what I can do. My main player is now the Plenue 1, so I'm not too afraid of installing modded firmwares onto my X5.

In case you want to know how to scramble and descramble manually, here's the detailed tutorial: 
1. Have a linux machine or virtual machine ready; I will only cover steps for distros using apt/dpkg that comes with debian/ubuntu/derivatives

2. Install the regular prerequisites, either by installing build-essential (sudo apt-get install build-essential) or just g++ (sudo apt-get install g++)

3. Download the files here, easier to do using wget on the raw files

4. If not in a terminal already, open one and cd to the place you have the downloaded files

5. Build packtools (g++ packtools.cpp -o packtools)

6. Throw the Fiio firmware into the same directory

7. If it's not unpacked yet (still in .fw format), ./packtools --unpack -i firmware_file_name.fw -o /your/output/directory)

8. Take the sys.bin from the unpacked firmware and place it into the directory with packtools as well

9. Unscramble the bin (./packtools --descramble -i your_original_sys.bin -o the_new_sys.bin)

10. You can rescramble by running the exact same command (./packtools --descramble -i your_modified_sys.bin -o modified_scrambled_sys.bin)

works for the 1st gen X5 as well. do you think it is possible to gain access to the internal memory via USB, or copy the internal memory to micro SD?

it seems there's the following drives possible: a,b,c,y,z.  z seems to be where the firmware is located, a seems to be for logfiles of sorts.

as proof of concept, i changed one letter in the "about X5" (notice hige, not high)

be aware that you can change it, however, you can't delete the bytes, and when changing the value to 0, it can cause some errors (all text missing for instance)

all throughout the file are mentions of "FILE.c", (.c is usually a C program) but i have no clue where to find these. is that possibly the unreadable code within the descrambled sys.bin?

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #217 of 321
Thank you for this, it sounds very useful.

Is there any way to modify the font size?  While the font itself is very good, my sight is imperfect and I would like to make the text a little larger.  Can that be done using this utility?

Mar 1, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #218 of 321
  Thank you for this, it sounds very useful.

Is there any way to modify the font size?  While the font itself is very good, my sight is imperfect and I would like to make the text a little larger.  Can that be done using this utility?

If you find a .ttf file with physically larger letters, you can replace the original msyh.ttf for larger text.

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #219 of 321
I changed mine to Roboto Condensed but discovered I had to change the name of the file to msyh.ttf.  Maybe the name for the Roboto Condensed file wasn't recognized.

I was hoping the change would affect the track time and track number underneath the progress bar.  No such luck.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #220 of 321
I changed mine to Roboto Condensed but discovered I had to change the name of the file to msyh.ttf.  Maybe the name for the Roboto Condensed file wasn't recognized.

I was hoping the change would affect the track time and track number underneath the progress bar.  No such luck.

Any new font packs need to be re-named to msyh.ttf or the system won't know what to look for.

The numbers under the progress bar are actually images of numbers 1-10 etc.. To increase the size you need to enlarge those images in the playing folder (I think that's where they are). Be careful because you can not adjust the coordinates for the numbers and it may get in the way of other display items.

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #222 of 321
Thank you for your help!  Found them.  The numbers are at ..\litegui\\numbers

That means color and transparency can be changed!

Yeah, that's where they are! It's been a while since I've looked. :)

Just remember, if changing images they need to have the exact same name as the ones you are replacing.

Have fun playing around, but remember that if you muck anything up you can always go back to a working version.

:beerchug:

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #223 of 321
Thank you! Understood.

I've been playing around with the firmware, settings and examining other people's work with themes (including yours!).  The X5II seems to be almost impossible to brick.  I even flashed X3II firmware onto the X5II as a test.  It booted and displayed the initial logo screen but then the display became garbled.  Flashed back to X5II firmware with no problem.

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #224 of 321
Your help appreciated!!
This is my first time working with the X5ii custom themes.  I thought I would start with a few simple "typo" corrections I found in the Chinese/English translations in FW 1.27beta.  My modifications worked very well and the X5ii updated successfully and all my title/menu changes appeared on the unit.
Next I wanted to tackle the boot up "WELCOME" screen and modify the rather quaint "Born for Music and Happy" slogan.
I found the original 400x360 logo bmp. file and adapted it using MS Paint. ( I brushed over the slogan with a black brush tool and added words more suited to my taste.)  In the saving process the file size decreased from 562.6kb to 422kb, the logo was still 400x360 pixels.
I re-packed the FW with the new logo bmp file to check it out.
Although the update was successful, the "WELCOME" screen now appears briefly as just a dark black screen followed by the usual FiiO X5 boot animation.
Reverted back to the FW with the original logo and booted up normally .
I would appreciate any help as I am new to trying to work with customizing the graphics of the player.
I must be missing some crucial steps in order to do this correctly.
Thanks!
Charlie 

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #225 of 321
Your help appreciated!!
This is my first time working with the X5ii custom themes.  I thought I would start with a few simple "typo" corrections I found in the Chinese/English translations in FW 1.27beta.  My modifications worked very well and the X5ii updated successfully and all my title/menu changes appeared on the unit.
Next I wanted to tackle the boot up "WELCOME" screen and modify the rather quaint "Born for Music and Happy" slogan.
I found the original 400x360 logo bmp. file and adapted it using MS Paint. ( I brushed over the slogan with a black brush tool and added words more suited to my taste.)  In the saving process the file size decreased from 562.6kb to 422kb, the logo was still 400x360 pixels.
I re-packed the FW with the new logo bmp file to check it out.
Although the update was successful, the "WELCOME" screen now appears briefly as just a dark black screen followed by the usual FiiO X5 boot animation.
Reverted back to the FW with the original logo and booted up normally .
I would appreciate any help as I am new to trying to work with customizing the graphics of the player.
I must be missing some crucial steps in order to do this correctly.
Thanks!
Charlie 

This is a common issue depending on what program is used to save the .bmp. I use Photoshop and have never had an issue. Check to see if there is any different save parameters in MS Paint. The file needs to be a 32 bit .bmp. That logo.bmp file has caused a lot of grief for X5 custom themers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back