FiiO X5 firmware 2.20 download and discussion
Aug 25, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #91 of 266
well, guess I don't like 2.2  firstly it cannot add anything to your favourites playlist.  I got that red heart icon turned red, but when i look on the favourites list, its not there.  It plays just fine if I go to it though.  I didn't mind that messed up animation on startup, but I can't even add any tracks and update, it will just freeze.  back to 2.05 for now...

Use the playlist icon.......it's a series of horizontal lines.

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #92 of 266
An addendum to my earlier post reporting a freeze when trying to build the library.  It would always freeze around the same point when trying to build the library but the spot where it would freeze would vary by several songs on different tries.  This made me suspect a resource problem of some sort and not a file problem.  Based on a recent post also reporting freezing in 2.2, I loaded 2.05 beta on my X5 (which I had not tried before) and tried to build the library, this worked fine on the same cards that were freezing under 2.2 so I definitely think it's a problem with 2.2 and not a problem in my files or card.  I should also note the album order problem I reported on FW 2.07beta was not present on 2.05 either.  That problem was fixed in 2.2 but the library build problem means for now I am going to go with 2.05beta.

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #93 of 266
  An addendum to my earlier post reporting a freeze when trying to build the library.  It would always freeze around the same point when trying to build the library but the spot where it would freeze would vary by several songs on different tries.  This made me suspect a resource problem of some sort and not a file problem.  Based on a recent post also reporting freezing in 2.2, I loaded 2.05 beta on my X5 (which I had not tried before) and tried to build the library, this worked fine on the same cards that were freezing under 2.2 so I definitely think it's a problem with 2.2 and not a problem in my files or card.  I should also note the album order problem I reported on FW 2.07beta was not present on 2.05 either.  That problem was fixed in 2.2 but the library build problem means for now I am going to go with 2.05beta.

Although the freezing issues do change between different FWs in my experience, they are all solvable by tidying up your files. I had an issue exactly like yours when upgrading from one firmware or other, but was able to solve it. Of course, ideally the X5 would just skip past any troublesome files or flag them as previously mentioned, but I can confirm that 2.2 works flawlessly with a clean library.

Just for reference (not saying I've got it right), my tagging system that seems to work includes:
  1. Title
  2. Artist
  3. Album artist
  4. Album
  5. Genre
  6. Rating
  7. 500x500 (occasionally 600x600) artwork as jpeg in file tags
  8. Year of release

Everything else is left empty

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #94 of 266
I have 2 64gb cards with a total 4862 songs and by chance I scanned slot 1 and after that I scanned slot 2 with the slot 1 still in there and all of them showed up and so far no issues, I use monkey media to. Something to try anyways.

Sep 1, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #95 of 266
All,

thanks for update to 2.2, i will now check and provide feedback.  however what is not solved is that on Win7, when connecting via USB, the PC always recognizes just ONE of the TWO MicroSD cards.  This means that i need to eject card 1 and swap with card 2 if i want to make any changes.  Are others experiencing this problem too?  Any solution?

thanks
c

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #97 of 266
  All,

thanks for update to 2.2, i will now check and provide feedback.  however what is not solved is that on Win7, when connecting via USB, the PC always recognizes just ONE of the TWO MicroSD cards.  This means that i need to eject card 1 and swap with card 2 if i want to make any changes.  Are others experiencing this problem too?  Any solution?

thanks
c

no problems here. W7 recognizes both as before.
My guess is that the problem is on the computer.
Pls check if anything is blocked on the PC from unsafe release before.

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #98 of 266
After updating - I am no longer able to use the 'update media library' either in auto or manual mode. It just hangs. I have tried the fix that is posted on the FIIO web site:
1. Pls extract the Micro SD card from the X5, then select "Update Media lib" through 'System Settings'. This step aims to delete the old database file.
2. After step 1, pls insert the Micro SD card, and check files via "Browse files"  to find out any problematic files in the Micro SD card, then delete them.
3. After delete all the problematic files, pls update the Media library again which helps creating a new database file in the X5.

This solution did not work for me.

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #99 of 266
  After updating - I am no longer able to use the 'update media library' either in auto or manual mode. It just hangs. I have tried the fix that is posted on the FIIO web site:
1. Pls extract the Micro SD card from the X5, then select "Update Media lib" through 'System Settings'. This step aims to delete the old database file.
2. After step 1, pls insert the Micro SD card, and check files via "Browse files"  to find out any problematic files in the Micro SD card, then delete them.
3. After delete all the problematic files, pls update the Media library again which helps creating a new database file in the X5.

This solution did not work for me.

If it's hanging, there is a very high likelihood of one of your files having a corruption or an image format (or similar information) which is not compatible with the X5. Does it always hang in the same place or does it vary slightly each time?

If it varies slightly, you may need to wipe the card causing the fault and reload it. If it's always at the same number then you have a file needing cleaning (or replacement). There are lots of discussions in this thread about how to identify and clean rogue files.

Good luck and let us know how you go!

Sep 5, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #100 of 266
Good day everyone. Newbie "audiophile" here. Got me an X5 2 days ago. I only got into the high quality sound game a few months ago. started off with a set of JVC FX1X, then got me the Fiio e6, then a Cowon J3. Absolutely loved it, but thought there was just a little something missing. Then I got a pair of JVC FXZ200. Wow, these things are incredible. I do like bass, hard hitting powerful bass, but quality bass. So decided to get the e12 and it gave me exactly what I wanted for the bass. Then, I started at looking to get a DAC to use with my PC.

I was really torn between the X3 and X5, seeing as the X3 is almost half the price. But after looking at reviews, the X5 seemed like the better choice. Anyways, walked into Virgin Megastore, and to my surprise they had a few Fiio products...only 1 X5 though, so decided to get it. When I hopped in the car, first thing was to swap the card from the J3 to the X5, and hook it up to my car stereo.

Wow wow wow. The detail and clarity was phenomenal, My car stereo never sounded that good. So I got home and updated to the latest firmware (from 2.0). I had read through this thread and noted that people said the sound had changed for the worse. Earlier tonight I went for a drive and for some strange reason it just didnt sound as impressive as the first time. I didnt even think about the firmware change at the time. Only a few hours later at home did it strike me that I had updated the fw. So I downgraded and went back to my car. It sounded as impressive as the first time.

Now, I can accept that it may just be some really twisted placebo effect and on some subconscious level I was aware of the firmware change...I dunno lol.

Anyways, I had noticed something strange. I have the the X5 connected to the e12 via the LO jack. Now, as I understand it, that's suppose to bypass the internal amp of the X5. When I change the volume on the X5 nothing changes, as I'd expect. But strangely enough if I change the equaliser, the sound changes. Is that normal, or do I just not quite understand how its suppose to work?

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #101 of 266
  Good day everyone. Newbie "audiophile" here. Got me an X5 2 days ago. I only got into the high quality sound game a few months ago. started off with a set of JVC FX1X, then got me the Fiio e6, then a Cowon J3. Absolutely loved it, but thought there was just a little something missing. Then I got a pair of JVC FXZ200. Wow, these things are incredible. I do like bass, hard hitting powerful bass, but quality bass. So decided to get the e12 and it gave me exactly what I wanted for the bass. Then, I started at looking to get a DAC to use with my PC.

I was really torn between the X3 and X5, seeing as the X3 is almost half the price. But after looking at reviews, the X5 seemed like the better choice. Anyways, walked into Virgin Megastore, and to my surprise they had a few Fiio products...only 1 X5 though, so decided to get it. When I hopped in the car, first thing was to swap the card from the J3 to the X5, and hook it up to my car stereo.

Wow wow wow. The detail and clarity was phenomenal, My car stereo never sounded that good. So I got home and updated to the latest firmware (from 2.0). I had read through this thread and noted that people said the sound had changed for the worse. Earlier tonight I went for a drive and for some strange reason it just didnt sound as impressive as the first time. I didnt even think about the firmware change at the time. Only a few hours later at home did it strike me that I had updated the fw. So I downgraded and went back to my car. It sounded as impressive as the first time.

Now, I can accept that it may just be some really twisted placebo effect and on some subconscious level I was aware of the firmware change...I dunno lol.

Anyways, I had noticed something strange. I have the the X5 connected to the e12 via the LO jack. Now, as I understand it, that's suppose to bypass the internal amp of the X5. When I change the volume on the X5 nothing changes, as I'd expect. But strangely enough if I change the equaliser, the sound changes. Is that normal, or do I just not quite understand how its suppose to work?

That's completely normal. FiiO decided to implement the EQ so you can use EQ even if you're externally amping.

It's been proven that the 2.2FW sounds no different so that's amazing that you experienced what you did - our brains and subconsciouses (is there a plural for subconscious?) are amazing things!

In case you haven't yet discovered, the EQ doesn't work on hi-res files so don't stress if it suddenly has no effect - it'll just be a hi-res track or album you're on 

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #104 of 266

That's completely normal. FiiO decided to implement the EQ so you can use EQ even if you're externally amping.

It's been proven that the 2.2FW sounds no different so that's amazing that you experienced what you did - our brains and subconsciouses (is there a plural for subconscious?) are amazing things!

In case you haven't yet discovered, the EQ doesn't work on hi-res files so don't stress if it suddenly has no effect - it'll just be a hi-res track or album you're on 

Prove that 2.2 is different from the sound of 2.07. Tests were carried out on an oscilloscope.

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #105 of 266
  Prove that 2.2 is different from the sound of 2.07. Tests were carried out on an oscilloscope.

How about you prove - properly blind tested and volume matched - multiple tests - that the perceived minor distortion changes you measured - are actually audible.

Seeing how you have the gear - maybe record the output under both FW versions (playing real music), and post examples of the clips for other people to abx as well ........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back