FiiO X5 firmware 2.20 download and discussion
Sep 9, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #121 of 266
All,

One week left for those on Mac computers who use iTunes to get a free copy of Dapper in order to auto sync your iTunes library with your X5 (And X1,X3 for that matter).

http://www.map-pin.com/dapper/dapper-x5-case-giveaway-for.html

Intro video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHwjXvwqyCQ

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #122 of 266
Purpose: Show that the change in sound is, against the fact that the developers claim that the sound did not change. Noise? or Distortion?: Look at the test results that you see in the sine wave? that it shows?
Read carefully, the load 32 ohms. This load was chosen as most headphones are such a drag.

NFM

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #124 of 266

I did read carefully and you referred to "line out" which is for amplifiers, not headphones. Did you actually take the measurements from the headphone out or the line out? The pictures suggest you used the line-out in which case a 32 ohm load is way too low and putting far too much strain on the circuit. You need to conduct these measurements via the headphone out or raise your measuring load to around 10k ohm

chose the line-out as interested in the effect of the sound from the DAC. Influence of sound integrated amplifier I was not interested. Why do resistance 10 k Ohm?

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #125 of 266
  chose the line-out as interested in the effect of the sound from the DAC. Influence of sound integrated amplifier I was not interested. Why do resistance 10 k Ohm?

A line-out is not designed to drive low impedance loads (like headphones) and will be unstable with the level of current required from a load like 32 ohms. An external amp presents a much higher load (more like 10k ohms) and therefore draws much less current from the line-out. The amp stage (via the headphone out) is designed with buffers (or similar circuitry) to support the current requirements of low headphone loads. The line-out does not have such buffers.

If you want to test thoroughly, I would suggest measuring the headphone output with the 32 ohm load AND the line out, but with a load of 10-20k ohms.

Sep 10, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #126 of 266
I did a couple more listens, and I can definetely say theres a difference between 2.0 and 2.2. I can't say that I really hear it when listening on my FXZ200s, but it's definitely there when I use it in the car.

Another strange thing I've come to noticed, on 2.0 when using the lineout, the volume is locked at 0...on 2.2 you can change the volume (obviously it doesnt do anything though).

Sep 11, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #127 of 266
I am finding the same thing after updating to 2.2 the sound had lost its warmth and is cold sounding on 2.2, it sounds like it needing a bass boost.
I am really enjoying the sound on firmware 2 (its spot on like an ear massage) and don't understand why change it for the worse fiio in firmware 2.2?
Maybe give an option for a different sound signature but changing it with no choice or notice is bad.

I have gone back to to version 2 (which sounds fantastic great job fiio) with its bugs and will see what happens with the next version.

Sep 11, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #129 of 266
I'll check it again (3rd time) but with my ears using ue900 iem, I'm hearing a change in signature maybe beyond the gear used to detect the changes. (just a guess) my ears don't tell fibs.

Sep 11, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #130 of 266
I'll check it again (3rd time) but with my ears using ue900 iem, I'm hearing a change in signature maybe beyond the gear used to detect the changes. (just a guess) my ears don't tell fibs.

lmao

Try this thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/730848/fiio-x5-firmwares-sound-quality

You'll need an abx comparator (foobar plugin) - here's a how-to on that : http://www.head-fi.org/t/655879/setting-up-an-abx-test-simple-guide-to-ripping-tagging-transcoding

Make sure you volume match when making the comparisons

Post the logs - should be fun :)

Sep 11, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #131 of 266
  It's been proven (accurately and reliably) that there is no difference. What you're hearing is a placebo / expectation effect.

was demonstrated (accurately and reliably) that there is a difference.
beerchug.gif

Sep 11, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #133 of 266
  my wife did not know what was changed firmware. But when I turned on the music in the car on the track 2, said that the sound has changed for the worse. Effect of expectations / placebo - possible! Sound signature has changed in less detail and the deterioration of low frequencies.

Try ClieOS abx.  Yes there may be a measurable difference.  So far no-one who's tried it has actually demonstrated it is audible.  As pointed out by Loquah, your own tests appear to be flawed - no matter how well intentioned.

And please don't fall back to the old "must be your gear or your ears" comment.  People with both better gear and better ears than mine can't tell the difference either.

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #134 of 266
I am glad to read that others also hear the sound differences between the firmware versions. I do not understand the technical reasons and I do not understand the test results. All I hear is that the sound is not open and not spatially like the sound with FW2.0. Everything sounds a bit boring. I always hear the line-out. Never the amp. 
I'll stay with FW2.0. And I'm happy with that. The sound quality is impressive.

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #135 of 266
  my wife did not know what was changed firmware. But when I turned on the music in the car on the track 2, said that the sound has changed for the worse. Effect of expectations / placebo - possible! Sound signature has changed in less detail and the deterioration of low frequencies.

In the car?  Can one tell in a noisy environment such as a moving vehicle?  Or are you going to tell us you were sitting with the engine off?  Sigh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back