FiiO X5 firmware 2.20 download and discussion
Aug 23, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #76 of 266

Or just test to test variation.
Are these test results repeatable?

Ummmmm.......BTW.......I can't access them........just sayin'

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #78 of 266
Aug 23, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #83 of 266
Aug 24, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #84 of 266
I finally got a 128 Gig memory card and had enough room to download  all my music.  If I use a 128 Gig in slot 1 and a 64 Gig in slot 2.  It's around 420 ripped CD's, over 4000+ tracks.   If I try to update the library with both cards in place  (The music is split about 2/3 on the 128 Gig and 1/3 on the 64 Gig).  Then it proceeds rapidly building till No. 3559 then it seems to freeze.  If I pull card 1 and just build with card 2 in place then it builds successfully.  And If I try to build with just card 1 in place then it freezes at No. 3562.  So there seems to be some problem with building the library in this firmware.  Not sure what further info I can provide to help determine what might be the problem.  The music seems to play fine If I just access it via the folder interface.  Although I haven't tried listening to every single track.  I really like the X5 but bugs like this make it a bit frustrating to use.

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #85 of 266
  I finally got a 128 Gig memory card and had enough room to download  all my music.  If I use a 128 Gig in slot 1 and a 64 Gig in slot 2.  It's around 420 ripped CD's, over 4000+ tracks.   If I try to update the library with both cards in place  (The music is split about 2/3 on the 128 Gig and 1/3 on the 64 Gig).  Then it proceeds rapidly building till No. 3559 then it seems to freeze.  If I pull card 1 and just build with card 2 in place then it builds successfully.  And If I try to build with just card 1 in place then it freezes at No. 3562.  So there seems to be some problem with building the library in this firmware.  Not sure what further info I can provide to help determine what might be the problem.  The music seems to play fine If I just access it via the folder interface.  Although I haven't tried listening to every single track.  I really like the X5 but bugs like this make it a bit frustrating to use.

You conclude the firmware is the problem. Does the library build successfully with these cards under a different firmware?
Your post reads as if you have recently added files with a new card rather than recently updated the firmware, so it is the added files or the new card which must be suspect...

Aug 24, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #86 of 266

I had a random issue like this which occurred after I tried to transfer tracks to both cards simultaneously. I don't know if that's what you did, but the point is that doing this created a glitch in the files somewhere. Erasing the cards and refilling them one card at a time fixed the problem and I've had no issues since. It takes a while of course to transfer 2000+ files, but it's worth taking the time to remove any potential file errors.

Also check that you aren't accidentally using huge album art files or unrecognized formats (MediaMonkey started using a random file extension (thm or htm or something) on me at one stage for album art which caused some issues)

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #88 of 266
I did copy to each card separately, transferring one artist directory at a time.  The cards were formatted in the x5 then mounted on my PC with a card adapter to transfer from my music master disk.   There should be only directories, .wma files and Cover,jpg and Folder.jpg files on the disk.  They were all ripped with dbpoweramp. Album art is no larger than 800x800 at the max and I generally try to pick around 500x500 when doing the rip and choosing the art.  If there is a bad file extension or an album art too large then it would be far more user friendly for the library builder to emit an error message such as "bad file type, file foo.xxx"  or "album art too large file bar.wma"  rather than just freezing.  As to why I complain about this particular firmware.  It seems to be the latest released firmware and not a beta firmware afaict and it fixes problems I was seeing with the 2.07 beta with file sort order.  If the card is bad, windows gave no indication of that when it successfully wrote and read it while creating the music directories on the card.  I am suspecting there is something about one of the files that it doesn't like but to track it down It would be nice if I knew the order that the files are processed.  Alphabetical  by folder then file?  or possibly creation time order?

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #89 of 266
  I did copy to each card separately, transferring one artist directory at a time.  The cards were formatted in the x5 then mounted on my PC with a card adapter to transfer from my music master disk.   There should be only directories, .wma files and Cover,jpg and Folder.jpg files on the disk.  They were all ripped with dbpoweramp. Album art is no larger than 800x800 at the max and I generally try to pick around 500x500 when doing the rip and choosing the art.  If there is a bad file extension or an album art too large then it would be far more user friendly for the library builder to emit an error message such as "bad file type, file foo.xxx"  or "album art too large file bar.wma"  rather than just freezing.  As to why I complain about this particular firmware.  It seems to be the latest released firmware and not a beta firmware afaict and it fixes problems I was seeing with the 2.07 beta with file sort order.  If the card is bad, windows gave no indication of that when it successfully wrote and read it while creating the music directories on the card.  I am suspecting there is something about one of the files that it doesn't like but to track it down It would be nice if I knew the order that the files are processed.  Alphabetical  by folder then file?  or possibly creation time order?

I'm not sure you can track down the rogue file that easily. The quickest way will be binary logic...

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #90 of 266
well, guess I don't like 2.2  firstly it cannot add anything to your favourites playlist.  I got that red heart icon turned red, but when i look on the favourites list, its not there.  It plays just fine if I go to it though.  I didn't mind that messed up animation on startup, but I can't even add any tracks and update, it will just freeze.  back to 2.05 for now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back