FiiO X5 firmware 2.20 download and discussion
Sep 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #166 of 266
Also someone at local forum wrote interesting version: it may be that with new firmware processor (controller) has bigger load and draws more power resulting in less power for amplifier part.

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #167 of 266
Also someone at local forum wrote interesting version: it may be that with new firmware processor (controller) has bigger load and draws more power resulting in less power for amplifier part.

....but if you're not clipping the power amp......?

In actuality, if the processor really were drawing more power, then battery run time would be decreased.
The DC voltage would not drop significantly to actually affect the headphone power amp,

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #168 of 266
....but if you're not clipping the power amp......?

In actuality, if the processor really were drawing more power, then battery run time would be decreased.
The DC voltage would not drop significantly to actually affect the headphone power amp,

Well, we are talking about micro effects, micro fluctuations which can cause little differences in SQ. But of course it is pure theoretical...

Also has anybody measured work time? May be it is decreased in 2.20 

Sep 18, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #176 of 266
Hey. Strange hitch of 2.20 firmware. After spending a few days with it, I discovered that my X5 cannot play some mp3 files, saying "This format is not supported". These are the files that were played by any smartphone, cowon or PC app. Ok, I double-check it: connect the player to USB as storage and play these files through foobar to see if the files are bad. Nope - the files are fine, the sdcard is fine, everything is bit to bit with the PC original. Then I flash the 2.07 - tada!! it plays all the files. I speak not of some few rare files, but rather of whole albums. 

Then I run over one of these files a foobar utility "rebuild MP3 stream". The resulting file should conform to all mp3 requirements. AND the resulting file is played by 2.20 just fine. 

So now I have several albums in a large 128G library which cannot be played by 2.20 without running every file through "rebuild mp3 stream" procedure. And I don't know what these albums are, until I bump into them in the wild. Guess what? I return to 2.07. At the very least, it plays everything in the library. But this bug is rather annoying. Running the whole library through stream rebuild is risky (I do not know what it would change, what tags etc would be lost, and there is of course a risk of losing the files in the process, since it is overwriting every single file).

If you are interested, here are the links:

Original, not played by 2.20 (but played by 2.07)

After mp3 rebuild, played by 2.20

(both downloadable from the linked pages, hope the hosting wouldn't mess them up)

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #178 of 266
Does the X5 run hotter with 2.00 or 2.20?

If you haven't measured the two versions with a thermometer under repeatable conditions, then you don't know.
Sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back