FiiO X5 firmware 2.20 download and discussion
Sep 19, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #181 of 266
Does the X5 run hotter with 2.00 or 2.20?

If you haven't measured the two versions with a thermometer under repeatable conditions, then you don't know.
Sorry!

I did not flash 2.20. My concern is not about differences in temperatures between two versions of firmware, but about high temperature of payer overall.

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #182 of 266
Running very warm will be normal, mine becomes a hand warmer while I'm using it some times when it's cold.
It seems to change in temperature throughout the battery cycle, this leads me to believe it's the dc to dc inverter to keep the voltage stable, this again is normal operation.
Plus the CPU and the output stage will create heat in usage, and that will vary on cpu load and load on the amp.

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #183 of 266
Try the new 20,000 song beta, it solved the issue for me

ly Posted by jvos213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Exactly the same problem here. I have not changed anything in terms of content in the library and it freezes at song 23 when building the media library so I'm still having to browse the folders....

I'm not too fussy about playlists (its amazing how much time was spent on this in previous posts
smily_headphones1.gif
) and for the most part this update is minimal so don't expect anything amazingly different. The lock screen function is kind of nice...

Features that I'd still like to see implemented:

- No option to tweak existing EQ settings as initially advertised (more than one custom EQ would even suffice).
- Custom shortcuts or add EQ to the play screen so you don't have to navigate all the way through the main menu.

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #184 of 266
New machine, came with 2.0.  Listened to it, then flashed to 2.2.0.  Listened to it again.  Sounds the same to me.  Yes, it runs a bit warm, but it's an electronic machine.  They do that sometimes.  

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #186 of 266
Quite a bit.  It's much better than my DX50 WITH the C5 amp.  However, the brightness is going to take a while to get used to.  I like it, it's just....bright.  My Altone200s skew bright already, but my Dunu1Ks tend to be bass-heavy and I'm not picking up enough top end for my tastes with them.  I may sell my DX50 and C5, and a TF10 I have, and see what other iems are around that have good bass without being bass-heavy and also have good uppers without being too bright.  Never ending quest, isn't it?

For now I'm hoping that a week with it, using the Altones, will let my ears/brain acclimate and all will be fine.  Maybe some burn-in will help as well.  But even with not being used to how it sounds, I listened to a Beatles track yesterday and heard something in the upper end I've NEVER heard before.  So maybe the bright is a good thing after all.  
darthsmile.gif

EDIT  Had one of those moments, oh!  Changed out the tips (smaller Complys) for some newer, bigger Complys.  Took just a little brightness away (not very much) but has made a big difference.  Duh.  

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #188 of 266
Hi guys, I played around with foobar a little and may have found a slightly easier method. Only caveats are that you will need the same folder structure on your microSD card in your X3/X5 and on your computer (just the music part), and also be able to install components for foobar.

Step 1: Install the EXTM3U playlist component from here: http://skipyrich.com/wiki/Foobar2000:EXTM3U_playlist_format_plugin

Step 2: Create playlists in foobar like as usual (manually or using the autoplaylist function) and then select the playlist you want to make a file out of. Make sure the playlist is playing (or at least, has its songs shown on the main window).

Step 3: Move your cursor to the top, you should be able to see "File". Click on it, and then click on "Save Playlist as EXTM3U".

Step 4: Rename the playlist (It will name the playlist with whatever song you have highlighted by default) as desired. Save the playlist such that it is just one folder above all your songs (foobar will create relative paths for you if you do this. It will create absolute paths if you save it at other locations.)

Example:
You have songs at the following folders (and each of them have their own subfolders):
C:\Music\Jazz
C:\Music\Rock
C:\Music\Anime

Save the playlist in here:
C:\Music

The playlist now will look like this in NotePad (In between each entry leading to the song location, there will be another line starting with # and have the metadata of the song; this is meant for EXTM3U usage. I hope the X3/X5 will be ok with that):
#EXTM3U
#[song metadata]
Jazz\AlbumA\Song1
#[song metadata]
Jazz\AlbumA\Song2
#[song metadata]
Jazz\AlbumB\Song1
#[song metadata]
Rock\AlbumA\Song1
#[song metadata]
Anime\AlbumA\Song1

Step 5: Copy the playlist over to the X3/X5 and you are done! If you want, you can use FreeFileSync to make things a little easier.

Note: You can also just use foobar to work on the files on the X3/X5 directly, but this means that you will need to drag and drop the files onto the foobar window each time you want to do all these.

Hope this works out (yes, even Japanese characters are showing up fine in Notepad in the sample playlist I made even though it is a m3u file), would love to be able to confirm that this will work on the X3/X5 right now but my paycheck issues are preventing me from getting the X5...

PS: Reposted from the playlist thread; just realised that it might be better to post here too...

Oct 1, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #189 of 266
  Quite a bit.  It's much better than my DX50 WITH the C5 amp.  However, the brightness is going to take a while to get used to.  I like it, it's just....bright.  My Altone200s skew bright already, but my Dunu1Ks tend to be bass-heavy and I'm not picking up enough top end for my tastes with them.  I may sell my DX50 and C5, and a TF10 I have, and see what other iems are around that have good bass without being bass-heavy and also have good uppers without being too bright.  Never ending quest, isn't it?

For now I'm hoping that a week with it, using the Altones, will let my ears/brain acclimate and all will be fine.  Maybe some burn-in will help as well.  But even with not being used to how it sounds, I listened to a Beatles track yesterday and heard something in the upper end I've NEVER heard before.  So maybe the bright is a good thing after all.  
darthsmile.gif

EDIT  Had one of those moments, oh!  Changed out the tips (smaller Complys) for some newer, bigger Complys.  Took just a little brightness away (not very much) but has made a big difference.  Duh.  

I highly recommend the JVC FXZ200 iems. Great bass, and clear mids and highs

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #190 of 266
Ok - I tried to upgrade to FW 2.2, followed the instructions to the letter, I've done it before from original as shipped version 1.3 to 2.0 no problem - but now my X5 is dead and all it will do is show "system error!" in red letters. I've tried resetting with a pin, tried to start upgrade process again - but all I get is that message.   Any ideas before I send it back to dealer?  thanks

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #192 of 266
Try going back to version 2.0.
That will tell you if your X5 is still OK.

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #193 of 266
I just bought a Fiio X5 used from this forum and it came already with v2.20 but there is a few things which are realllly bugging me so I'd like to know if there's a solution as here is my problem.

1- I bought 2x64Gb cards to put my 14,000 mp3 all on the player but when I build the library, it stops at 5800. Why the screw* is there such a low limitation, mostly on a player that is said to even allow 2x128Gb cards?!

2- When I switch mp3 on my SD card, it is horribly slow as hell. I'd say that the player will play the music but be unresponsive as if it was frozen, for 10-15 seconds everytime I skip a track. Why?

3- Is there a way to scroll faster through the library as since it isn't a touchscreen, I have to hold the "Next/Previous Button" or scroll with the wheel for 10 minutes everytime I want to go like from A to T 
mad.gif

I've heard previously about the limitation of 5800 files but I've been told it was a limitation PER FOLDER and that you could "by pass" it by creating more folder but does it mean that there's some tricky why to be able to build a library over 5800 files through several folders??? I'm really not happy about this limitation... it's pretty much a deal breaker for me, as well as the ultra slow scrolling.

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #194 of 266
5800 is what it is.  That would be a matter of due diligence.

I've read here you can put more on it, but they don't show up in some views.  

I believe there is a beta out that allows for many more files to be put on it, you might want to look into that.

I have two 64gb cards with about 1600 files and I can scroll through either one in less than twenty seconds.  Lets assume I have 700 individual tracks on one card, so you would have about 10X as many as do I on one card.  If mine takes 20 seconds to scroll through, 20X10=200 seconds, or a bit more than 3 minutes to scroll through yours.  If you want to have 7000 files on a card, you are going to have to allow for time for them to scroll past.  

Many of us use Folder view, and simply go into our Root and see all of the folders in alpha order.  Then we pick one and play it.  I can scroll my folders in about 5 seconds.

My files are FLAC and DSD, quite a bit larger in size than yours.  And yet I have no hesitations or freezes when jumping from track to track.  That includes 200-300mb DSD files that happily go from one to the next.

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #195 of 266
  My files are FLAC and DSD, quite a bit larger in size than yours.  And yet I have no hesitations or freezes when jumping from track to track.  That includes 200-300mb DSD files that happily go from one to the next.

There's no point in putting DSD files on the X5. It converts therm to PCM 88.2 anyway, so best to convert before transfer and save a lot of SD card space and time.
However if you are using a DSD capapble DAC via coax, you can wrap the DSD in FLAC for Dop. The X5 will happily pass through the pure DSD to your DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back