Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares
Jun 3, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #2,296 of 2,614
Jun 11, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #2,299 of 2,614
any thai guys here? anyone know if X5 can support Thai fonts??? 

If you replace the default font, yes it can :)

Jun 11, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #2,301 of 2,614

sorry.....but how to replace the default font? I do not know how to do it 

I think this should work:

1. Unpack any firmware using packtools
2. In the unpacked theme, go to the fonts folder
3. Replace the .ttf files inside with Thai fonts
4. Run packtools to pack the firmware

However, I have never tried this, so I don't know if it will work.

Also, I have unpacked the Fiio X5II's firmware and am theming it blindly without any testing.

Here's my findings so far from an unpacked beta firmware:

1. Many more boot animation images. (45 just for startup, but based on the reports of a faster startup, they should be played faster now.)
  2. The original boot animation is strikingly similar to Android L's boot animation, with four orbs (Red, Yellow, Green, and Blue) flying in and creating the logo in the back.

and  for comparison. Android 5.0 on left, X5II on right.

1. A single firmware can contain 5 themes.
  2. Completely new launcher. Icons seem to be static.
  3. The "wheel thing" at the bottom of the launcher is actually a full-size 400x360 overlay which covers the entire screen. Perhaps this can be used to condense the launcher into 5 images for easier theming. This will require deleting/emptying of the other launcher images.
  4. Folder called "dock". Maybe the X5II can output digital from its MicroUSB; I doubt the player would dock upside-down to output from coax/line out.
  5. Relatively similar theme structure to original X5 firmware. It will be relatively easy to port themes from the original X5 to the new one, as long as attention is paid to the files of different filenames and image sizes.
  6. The selection menues in lists brought up with the top left button seem to take up 100% of the screen width, with each selectable option taking up an equal amount of space.
  7. Many of the images look a lot more refined now. Many of the images that served no purpose in the original X5's firmware have been removed.
  8. Topbar can now have transparency. Default is semi-transparent. It is overlayed on top of the elements on the screen, including album cover in playing (Based on photos in X5II thread), so it may not be a good idea to leave them opaque.
  9. The above fact may mean that resizing the topbar image to 400x360 will allow an overlay across the entire theme, similar to how the topbar shadow could be resized to do so.
  10. The launcher is 400x360 instead of 400x328, and so is many other full-screen images, such as list background. This means that the top 32 pixels of these images will be behind the topbar.
  11. Many images removed from Usb_Dac folder. Only one in there now is the playing background
  12. Background image removed from Usb folder. Only ones in there now are the USB cable icons.
  13. One shared coordinate folder across all themes.
  14. One shared boot animation and quick guide across all themes.
  15. Quick guide is transparent now. I am guessing it is overlayed over the active theme's background.
  16. None of the graphics seem to be shared across themes. Therefore, it is possible to contain 5 completely different themes inside one firmware, whether that be five different themes or different color variants.
  17. Font colors are specific to each theme as well.
  18. One shared boot splash (The bmp file) and font across all themes.
  19. Font color (config.ini) file contains one new element: about_dev_color.
  20. The firmware is easily unpacked with the firmware tools from the X3II Firmware thread. I haven't tried re-packing yet.

This is my findings based on the beta firmware; anything could change before 1.0.

Jun 11, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #2,302 of 2,614
  • The "wheel thing" at the bottom of the launcher is actually a full-size 400x360 overlay which covers the entire screen. Perhaps this can be used to condense the launcher into 5 images for easier theming. This will require deleting/emptying of the other launcher images.
  • Folder called "dock". Maybe the X5II can output digital from its MicroUSB; I doubt the player would dock upside-down to output from coax/line out.
  • Many images removed from Usb_Dac folder. Only one in there now is the playing background

This is my findings based on the beta firmware; anything could change before 1.0.

1: i've been doing that since i realised this was possible. I don't understand why FiiO doesn't just do this?
2: FiiO said a dock would be released later on. You can put it on there, similair to another dock/dac FiiO has (i can't remember the name)
3: i never understood why that had all the launcher images.

Where'd you get the firmware from?

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #2,303 of 2,614
1: i've been doing that since i realised this was possible. I don't understand why FiiO doesn't just do this?
2: FiiO said a dock would be released later on. You can put it on there, similair to another dock/dac FiiO has (i can't remember the name)

I got the firmware from page 83 of the X5II thread, roughly halfway down the page. The link to the newer firmware tools is at the bottom of the page as well.

I'm currently in the process of porting Harmony 3 to the new X5. Hopefully it will be finished before the player's release date.

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #2,304 of 2,614

Joe just posted 0.11 over on the X5ii thread (download) and mentioned 1.0 would be up on that thread soon :)

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #2,305 of 2,614
Some new info of the X5II firmware:
  1. Tons of different adjust bar backgrounds now. The spacing of the ticks on each is slightly different.
  2. The EQ is one combined file now, with the dB label and slider sticks already on the background file.

I won't be able to purchase the X5II for a while (Just got the Rx and some DIY cable material) so I will have to rely on feedback for porting the themes.

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #2,306 of 2,614
If I am going to continue modding the UI for the new X5II, I think that the one that I am going to change is theme5, It seems the least I would use in real life. 

will we use another thread for X5II, or keep modding in this one?

I think that Fiio has done a sweet job with the new icons and all. I might want to re-master my theme for x5 using icons from X5II theme!

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #2,307 of 2,614
Seeing as the themes won't be (directly) interchangeable a new thread makes sense. That and not all modders who have posted their hard work here will purchase a second-gen.

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #2,308 of 2,614
I think I'll use the 5 themes for different color variants or small differences, such as border vs borderless album cover on playing.
EQ is such a pain to theme now. As soon as I separate the BG into slider bars, scale, and background, I'll post it here.

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #2,309 of 2,614
Because i'm very curious i wanted to try flashing the X5ii firmware to my X5, and thus repacked it as X5 firmware. Here's the result:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back