Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares
Feb 18, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #1,441 of 2,614
In case anyone is wondering, the glass icon is made from the brass ring of the main menu meter combined with a photo I took of one of my wife's glass marbles she has in some decorative dish. Combined in Photoshop with the FiiO icons and colour balanced for the colour I want for each icon.

Some of the glass icons I made use a transparency to go over the base FiiO icons as they remain separate from each other in the FW (glass and FiiO icon/text) because they are used multiple times for different options (this was the proof of concept I needed to test). That's why the ones in the Now Playing shortcuts look better than the alert icons, because they are combined as one cohesive icon. I can't get around this with the current FW.

When I release the FW maybe some of the other modders will get some inspiration when they see how it's done.

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #1,442 of 2,614
In case anyone is wondering, the glass icon is made from the brass ring of the main menu meter combined with a photo I took of one of my wife's glass marbles she has in some decorative dish. Combined in Photoshop with the FiiO icons and colour balanced for the colour I want for each icon.

Some of the glass icons I made use a transparency to go over the base FiiO icons as they remain separate from each other in the FW (glass and FiiO icon/text) because they are used multiple times for different options (this was the proof of concept I needed to test). That's why the ones in the Now Playing shortcuts look better than the alert icons, because they are combined as one cohesive icon. I can't get around this with the current FW.

When I release the FW maybe some of the other modders will get some inspiration when they see how it's done.
Can't wait to see all the mods you mentioned. Any flavour of this theme I'm up for trying :)

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #1,443 of 2,614
Ah.. good. So you can choose which speed looks best by using 1,2 or 5 frames of green then red.

Even on the many android apps involving battery icons, nobody seems to have got away from the ugly battery image you mention. A glass one may fit your theme

but I think the LED representation will look better.

Yeah.......... I hate those glass batteries.................

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #1,444 of 2,614

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm9crr1vb55w41v/x5.fw?dl=0

Going in..

Being there

Getting out  

Relic your a lunatic.
It takes one to know one....
wink.gif

That theme looks awesome and like mine it's almost pointless to do vids unless some amazing thing brings it to a close.
For me that's learning how to use photoshop for you it's your wife taking away stuff to take pics of and turn into awesome.
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #1,445 of 2,614
That Maxell "blown away" guy is the backdrop on my HTPC - soooo cool :)

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #1,446 of 2,614
I love it and THANK YOU for all the time you put into making it look so good!!

It almost feels wrong saying this, but I have a suggestion to make it a bit better.  It would be even more analogue if the pointer didn't loop back to the other side (from 'system settings' to 'browse folders').  That looping motion makes it feel kinda digital.

Again, thanks for all you do.  And BTW, the keylock screen is really cool.

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #1,447 of 2,614
[COLOR=000080]I love it and THANK YOU for all the time you put into making it look so good!![/COLOR]

[COLOR=000080]It almost feels wrong saying this, but I have a suggestion to make it a bit better.  It would be even more analogue if the pointer didn't loop back to the other side (from 'system settings' to 'browse folders').  That looping motion makes it feel kinda digital.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000080]Again, thanks for all you do.  And BTW, the keylock screen is really cool.[/COLOR]

Agreed, but there's nothing we can do about it. FiiO has setup a very very simple way to point the user to the menu items and we can not do much but change the pictures in this kind of a layout. The default layout loops off screen so it works for that, but not to have all the icons on screen at once.

Thanks. :)

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #1,448 of 2,614
Agreed, but there's nothing we can do about it. FiiO has setup a very very simple way to point the user to the menu items and we can not do much but change the pictures in this kind of a layout. The default layout loops off screen so it works for that, but not to have all the icons on screen at once.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

There is one layout where it works to have all the icons on screen and that is a circle (see Knob)

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #1,449 of 2,614
There is one layout where it works to have all the icons on screen and that is a circle (see Knob)

Yes, true. But in the end it's just cycling through images in a circle. For this to happen in the meter I don't think it would work well / look as good.

Perhaps in a future theme idea!

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #1,450 of 2,614
Analogue II has been updated. Same link, same name. Sorry, I'm lazy. LINK

I've re-done EVERY shortcut and alert item in the FW as I conceptualized earlier.

Update media lib...... Check!
Format card...... Check!
Reset to Factory....... Check!
Add to playlists.......... Check!
Add to favourites......... Check!
Etc, etc, etc,......... Check! Check! Check!

The base icons from FiiO are the same but the shortcuts and alerts are all changed. The ONLY thing that I think I'll fix if enough of you guys say it doesn't jive well is the brightness icons. They just seem to be better off as a graphic representation and I feel they may take the glass button idea a bit too far. Please let me know.

The G=L / G=H has been shortened to L / H for the gain in the top bar. This balances it out much better with the right side as Romani has pointed out.

The ugly battery charging icons have been replaced. I tried going from red to green but with only 6 images it just felt too abrupt so I did a dark green to bright green cycle. I love it! I did keep the critical battery icon red so that'll really pop when it shows up (hopefully it won't for you guys).

Has anyone seen the USB DAC screen yet? I think it's pretty cool.

I'm not posting any pics this time as it pretty much looks the same as my last pics I posted, just much cleaner! If Hawaiibadboy happens to do another video (no expectations here) he really should push every button and do a media update, and charge it, and add to favourites, and check out the language selection, and and and and and........ LOL. I've just gone mad.

Except for the screen brightness icons, YES, this one is DONE!! :cool:

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #1,451 of 2,614
Analogue II has been updated. Same link, same name. Sorry, I'm lazy.

I've re-done EVERY shortcut and alert item in the FW as I conceptualized earlier.

Format card...... Check!

The base icons from FiiO are the same but the shortcuts and alerts are all changed. The ONLY thing that I think I'll fix if enough of you guys say it doesn't jive well is the brightness icons. They just seem to be better off as a graphic representation and I feel they may take the glass button idea a bit too far. Please let me know.

The G=L / G=H has been shortened to L / H for the gain in the top bar. This balances it out much better with the right side as @Romani has pointed out.

The ugly battery charging icons have been replaced. I tried going from red to green but with only 6 images it just felt too abrupt so I did a dark green to bright green cycle. I love it! I did keep the critical battery icon red so that'll really pop when it shows up (hopefully it won't for you guys).

I'm not posting any pics this time as it pretty much looks the same as my last pics I posted, just much cleaner! If @Hawaiibadboy happens to do another video (no expectations here) he really should push every button and do a media update, and charge it, and add to favourites, and check out the language selection, and and and and and........ LOL. I've just gone mad.

Except for the screen brightness icons, YES, this one is DONE!!
cool.gif

I am working on the _______....it's endless that's why I didn't do a real theme  video of mine cuz it's changed since last night.
If it's ready I'll be doing one for you and one for me this weekend if not sooner. My girlfriend needs love and my X5 can't be listened to when I mod it...it can but I am not focused as it's FW is ssplashed across 2 wide screens and having it's guts colored,trimmed,changed...changed again.

LOL

Do I own an X5 or does an X5 own me......

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #1,452 of 2,614
Analogue II has been updated. Same link, same name. Sorry, I'm lazy.

Format card...... Check!

The G=L / G=H has been shortened to L / H for the gain in the top bar. This balances it out much better with the right side as Romani has pointed out.

I'm not posting any pics this time as it pretty much looks the same as my last pics I posted, just much cleaner! If Hawaiibadboy happens to do another video (no expectations here) he really should push every button and do a media update, and charge it, and add to favourites, and check out the language selection, and and and and and........ LOL. I've just gone mad.

Except for the screen brightness icons, YES, this one is DONE!! :cool:
Thanks Relic. On my way home now, likely to download and install this before attempting to have dinner. I'm not obsessed at all. Thanks for taking on some of my feedback too. Will let you know how i go. And yes, you've gone mad, and we wouldn't have it any other way! :)

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #1,453 of 2,614
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm9crr1vb55w41v/x5.fw?dl=0

Going in..

Being there

Getting out  

Relic your a lunatic.
It takes one to know one....:wink:
That theme looks awesome and like mine it's almost pointless to do vids unless some amazing thing brings it to a close.
For me that's learning how to use photoshop for you it's your wife taking away stuff to take pics of and turn into awesome.:D  
Somehow missed this too. That's another update I need to install. My X5 is having an identity crisis.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #1,455 of 2,614
I am working on the _______....it's endless that's why I didn't do a video of mine cuz it's changed since last night.
If it's ready I'll be doing one for you and one for me this weekend if not sooner. My girlfriend needs love and my X5 can't be listened to when I mod it...it can but I am not focused as it's FW is ssplashed across 2 wide screens and having it's guts colored,trimmed,changed...changed again.

LOL

Do I own an X5 or does an X5 own me......

Man, I was going to let it go for a while but it was just nagging at me so I HAD to finish it off. Now I've got to work double time to catch up with the real world!! :eek:

I hope you guys that download it get to play around a bit and check out all the nuances. I really went too far with this one and didn't expect it to get so involved.

Ok, one more pic.......

Thanks guys for all the compliments BTW. It really gets me jazzed to try and do a good job!! :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back