Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares
Jan 10, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #766 of 2,614
Yup, some themers have a bit of extra time to composite a "screen grab" I'm photoshop or paint.net. I haven't done that with mine, nor do I worry about with others. It's so easy to download a new fw, flash it, and see if I like it. There's a lot more than just a nice looking "screen grab". The fw needs well thought out navigation. I've really enjoyed @AsianInvasion's and have used them as a base for further modding. If you're interested try out the dark FW2.4 version of Fragments Blue I threw together. I posted a link recently.

This took a minute

In your way someone might take 15 minutes downloading... not liking.... then going back to the previous one because they didn't like the G.U.I. which is what the average person maybe cares more about than a themers pride or whatever prevents them from introducing their creation in a manner that took me less time than typing this.

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #767 of 2,614
Not wanting to put the pressure on nor am I criticising. I couldn't ask for more in regards to so many people putting so much effort into modding and making this player look and function beautifully. I also understand half of it is about the navigation. All I'm suggesting is it's a nice to have as I for one would know whether I would like to try out a modded version based on screenshots alone, then I could proceed to test navigation accordingly. The other advantage of this is not all my installs have gone perfectly. They haven't resulted in anything disastrous by any means, but I have had crashes and unexpected audio changes which were only rectified through a full reset or reinstall. This meant I had to redo my equaliser again post the install as I am one of those people that does not listen to the flat setting. Another thing to keep in mind is some of the modded firmware resets everything while others retain everything, another nice thing to avoid through minimised trials of the installs.

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #768 of 2,614
Not wanting to put the pressure on nor am I criticising. I couldn't ask for more in regards to so many people putting so much effort into modding and making this player look and function beautifully. I also understand half of it is about the navigation. All I'm suggesting is it's a nice to have as I for one would know whether I would like to try out a modded version based on screenshots alone, then I could proceed to test navigation accordingly. The other advantage of this is not all my installs have gone perfectly. They haven't resulted in anything disastrous by any means, but I have had crashes and unexpected audio changes which were only rectified through a full reset or reinstall. This meant I had to redo my equaliser again post the install as I am one of those people that does not listen to the flat setting. Another thing to keep in mind is some of the modded firmware resets everything while others retain everything, another nice thing to avoid through minimised trials of the installs.

Yup, it'd be awesome if we all had the time to composite "screen grabs", but I've got a wife, kids, stuff to read / watch, etc. I'm happy modding to suit myself and sharing with others - and have recently updated other themer's mods for the community.

I'm wondering if your custom EQ settings got deleted because the fw was changed to allow customization of all EQ presets. It'd be nice if we could generate / load a text file with customized EQ presets. I renamed the presets on my fw with my HP / IEM names and use them to fine tune my gear.

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #769 of 2,614
Yup, it'd be awesome if we all had the time to composite "screen grabs", but I've got a wife, kids, stuff to read / watch, etc. I'm happy modding to suit myself and sharing with others - and have recently updated other themer's mods for the community.

I'm wondering if your custom EQ settings got deleted because the fw was changed to allow customization of all EQ presets. It'd be nice if we could generate / load a text file with customized EQ presets. I renamed the presets on my fw with my HP / IEM names and use them to fine tune my gear.
Completely understand family commitments and all. I have one of my own and music and all this stuff is just a hobby for me. No idea why my equaliser as well as my settings go out the window with some mods but not with others. It would be nice to be able to save them to SD and load them as required. The rest of the settings I'm not fussed about as they take no time to revert as required.

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #770 of 2,614

I just spent an hour trying to change these and few more folder icons with the techno ones on the main screen and they were 128x128 .png

I tried to resize them to 85 like the files they were replacing and I ended up with white background behind the images.

Can I not resize .png files?

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #776 of 2,614
I'm pretty sure MS Paint cannot save images with transparency. Use something like paint.net or photoshop instead.

If I want to change the animation of the heart (for example) I need to replace all three events/images with same size and same names?
also the background has white squares. Is that related to the movement or just static outlines that the images roll into? So I could use bigger images? Would 128x128px work if they didn't have to fit in the squares?

@rontant totally hooked me up on resize THANK YOU!!!!

Sorry for the questions but I wanna try and contribute so I gotta ask and this is the place. I don't want to be a taker all the time I'd like to contribute. Forgive my ultra nooblet questions

Also Im in Japan and will sleep soon but I appreciate the help

I was thinking about these icons

http://www.iconarchive.com/show/pry-frente-black-special-2-icons-by-binassmax.html

http://www.iconarchive.com/search?q=speaker
I would have to use a gray BG for the dark folders but that might look cool....dark....but cool. The aztechno wheel is just nutz awesome so unless he says no I wanna try and keep that. I don't know usage rights so anyone tell me what is no touch.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #777 of 2,614
I am new to this mod thingy too. For rookies like us, I think best is to keep the file name and size the same. We might be able to change size but you will have to adjust the numbers in the coordinate file. It's 8pm here but I have a morning work shift tomorrow. .  

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #778 of 2,614

If I want to change the animation of the heart (for example) I need to replace all three events/images with same size and same names?
also the background has white squares. Is that related to the movement or just static outlines that the images roll into? So I could use bigger images? Would 128x128px work if they didn't have to fit in the squares?

@rontant totally hooked me up on resize THANK YOU!!!!

Sorry for the questions but I wanna try and contribute so I gotta ask and this is the place. I don't want to be a taker all the time I'd like to contribute. Forgive my ultra nooblet questions

Also Im in Japan and will sleep soon but I appreciate the help

I was thinking about these icons

http://www.iconarchive.com/show/pry-frente-black-special-2-icons-by-binassmax.html

http://www.iconarchive.com/search?q=speaker
I would have to use a gray BG for the dark folders but that might look cool....dark....but cool. The aztechno wheel is just nutz awesome so unless he says no I wanna try and keep that. I don't know usage rights so anyone tell me what is no touch.

I'm using a X3, so my experience might be a little different.....

So far I've found the the newer firmware is a lot more forgiving if you try to change the resolution size, just make sure you keep the same file names.

As far as the heart animation, yes you would need to change the 3 .png files (I'm pretty sure that the white background is just the way Windows Explorer shows transparency - when you open in an image editor, there should be no background.). I would highly recommend getting a free image editor BTW, I use GIMP myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back