Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares
Nov 20, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #541 of 2,614
I can not find any release notes on the betas that were released... were there specific issues addressed and or features.  Just wondering. 
L3000.gif

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #545 of 2,614
This is the Custom/Modded Firmware thread Try on the main X5 thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/13755

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #546 of 2,614
I just Received my X5,

and it sounds AMAZING, but i have problems with the usability and navigation as its not easy at all,

iam getting used to it but i would like to suggest some modifications if could be added to next firmwares :

1- external Playlists of 2000+ totally freeze the device for may be 10 min and when it works, if you accidentally moved backwards to access it again it goes through the same scenario, while on my rockboxed dx50 it worked like a breeze, the playlist opens instantly.

2- Would like to create playlists from folders recursively on the device.

3- Would like to add a delete option to folders and files.

4- For ease of navigation in big folders, when you press down or up for more than 5 seconds or turn the wheel fast for more than 5 seconds, it starts moving through letters (like ipod classic),
because apparently the x5 buttons seems totally not reliable or heavy duty, so scrolling in big folders might take forever while its wearing the buttons.

5- One last thing that might not be important at all :D adding a search function, and i think the easiest way to be implemented, will be the same as ipod classic also.

thats some thoughts from the top of my head, if i had any more ideas i will point them out.

other than that its going great !!

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #547 of 2,614
The modders can only do aesthetic changes such as colors, fonts, backgrounds and in some screens, layout.

What you're asking can only be fixed by FiiO. You can go over to the main X5 thread and ask over there or directly in the bugzilla page for which I lost the link.

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #548 of 2,614
http://www.head-fi.org/t/742815/x5-firmware-2-34beta-now-playing-gets-a-good-memory-ape-cuesheets

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014

The X5 is neither a DX50 nor an iPod.  It is what it is, and the wholesale changes you are requesting (many of which have been discussed on the main X5 thread) don't seem to be something Fiio is going to be doing.  Especially as there is no touchscreen.  

Different devices bring with them different features.  You've moved up considerable in sound from the DX50 and an iPod, and part of the "cost" of that is losing features you might have liked with those devices.  I'd suggest that you read through the X5 thread and learn how to make your own playlists that will work with the X5.  Many of us use folders to achieve some of what you want (playlist folders, for example).  There is also a button that allows for deleting files (the shortcut button) though I've never tried it.  And you can make your own playlists in the device (though I've never tried that, either).

Also, the more files you put in the X5, the longer it will take you to navigate through them.  As it is not an iPod, it's best to keep that in mind when you are setting it up.  
smile.gif

Enjoy your new toy, the sound is superb.

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #549 of 2,614
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/742815/x5-firmware-2-34beta-now-playing-gets-a-good-memory-ape-cuesheets

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014

The X5 is neither a DX50 nor an iPod.  It is what it is, and the wholesale changes you are requesting (many of which have been discussed on the main X5 thread) don't seem to be something Fiio is going to be doing.  Especially as there is no touchscreen.  

Different devices bring with them different features.  You've moved up considerable in sound from the DX50 and an iPod, and part of the "cost" of that is losing features you might have liked with those devices.  I'd suggest that you read through the X5 thread and learn how to make your own playlists that will work with the X5.  Many of us use folders to achieve some of what you want (playlist folders, for example).  There is also a button that allows for deleting files (the shortcut button) though I've never tried it.  And you can make your own playlists in the device (though I've never tried that, either).

Also, the more files you put in the X5, the longer it will take you to navigate through them.  As it is not an iPod, it's best to keep that in mind when you are setting it up.  
smile.gif

Enjoy your new toy, the sound is superb.

With all due respect to your opinion, but we will only agree on one thing "the sound is superb" other than that i can't agree with you on all other points, that X5 is not an ipod and not a DX50,

and i don't want them to be the same, iam talking about trivial things, its not normal to take one minute to scroll through a folder, it is not normal that the library takes only 5800 files while they have 2 sdcard slots, iam not asking wonders, and iam not comparing to other players.

you gave a capability of 2 sdcard slots, then you should handle too many files quite better than this.

as for the delete and the playlist, they work on single songs which is not practical at all, i want to choose 5 folders into a playlist, not go through songs one by one and add each to playlist, as far as i understand how it works.

and i went to bugzilla, and it seems they have some of my thoughts already in progress, so its cool.

anyway no need for distractions, just let anyone mention any bugs or any enhancement, and let it be for fiio to accept or reject depending on its seriousness.

I will take a better look under the X5 thread.

and btw iam enjoying it very much :D

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #550 of 2,614
If you're using a Windows computer, some have found MusicBee helpful for creating playlists.

If you're using a Mac, you might check out Dapper in the App Store. It was created by a fellow headfi-er to help simplify playlist creation on Fiio DAPs.

Other than that, take olddude's advice and enjoy your new DAP as is. If you're looking for a step up from the DX50 experience, get the DX90. I've got both but find myself preferring the non-touchscreen experience of the X5. Touchscreen is great when implemented well but I find the touch points waaaaay too small of iBasso products. Rockbox helps with that by allowing me to tweak the UI, which is nice.

Maybe a Rockboxed DX90 would suit you better?

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #551 of 2,614
If you're using a Windows computer, some have found MusicBee helpful for creating playlists.

If you're using a Mac, you might check out Dapper in the App Store. It was created by a fellow headfi-er to help simplify playlist creation on Fiio DAPs.

Other than that, take olddude's advice and enjoy your new DAP as is. If you're looking for a step up from the DX50 experience, get the DX90. I've got both but find myself preferring the non-touchscreen experience of the X5. Touchscreen is great when implemented well but I find the touch points waaaaay too small of iBasso products. Rockbox helps with that by allowing me to tweak the UI, which is nice.

Maybe a Rockboxed DX90 would suit you better?

i dont know whether this is for me or not,

But if your talking to me then i guess you havent read my post because i never had problems with creating playlists at all :/

Any way thanks guys for the advice,

Iam just better off enjoying my X5 :)

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #552 of 2,614
Thanks for the tip on MusicBee. MUCH easier to create playlists then the other tools i've tried.

Thus far, my X5 strategy has been to manage music in two folders on the computer, one folder per card slot. The folder structure is:

Card Slot 1
    Artist
        Album 1
        Album 2
    Artist
        Album 1
Card Slot 2
    Artist
        Album 1
    Artist
        Album 1
        Album 2

I use Windows SyncToy to synchronize to the cards in the X5.

This is beautiful. I have upbeat music on one card for driving, working out, etc. and the other card contains albums I listen to start-to-finish, like jazz & classical & podcasts. The upbeat music I can shuffle and keep the selections constrained to the songs that are on that card.

From comments I've read from others, think of the X5 as a jukebox player, and your computer is the music manager. Configure on your computer, copy to the X5 and enjoy the best sound!

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #553 of 2,614

1- external Playlists of 2000+ totally freeze the device for may be 10 min and when it works, if you accidentally moved backwards to access it again it goes through the same scenario, while on my rockboxed dx50 it worked like a breeze, the playlist opens instantly.

2- Would like to create playlists from folders recursively on the device.

Both he and I were referring to this past of your post.  If we both misunderstood, sorry.

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #554 of 2,614

From comments I've read from others, think of the X5 as a jukebox player, and your computer is the music manager. Configure on your computer, copy to the X5 and enjoy the best sound!

Yes.  Like many others, I use folders, not Artist or Album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back