Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares
Apr 16, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #1,982 of 2,614
You folks Rock! Now I am unable to download it from the site. Is hi vynal in Dropbox? And again, thankyou all for your hard work, and beautiful art.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/86wcw7ujqlxxzsk/AADLUh7nXFH9pfQJu9kSXKf6a?dl=0

This is a temp link

The box link is maxed out and has no more bandwidth and my 2nd dropbox is dead.
They are only 10gig each
frown.gif

I don't know if it resets 30 days from account open or by month

That link above is the same as was just tested.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #1,983 of 2,614
Its always encouraging to know something works for someone else, but I don't think it proves anything - even if you were using michael2's files.

However I agree that a "full reset" will probably turn out to be the solution.

Having been in this situation myself I thought I'd chime in because achieving a "full reset" is not as easy as it might sound. The "pin-hole" reset and the hold-the-power-button-for-30-seconds restart, and the "reset factory defaults" may all fail after a failed fw flash. And you may not realize that the flash failed. There are little clues though. For example when I had problems updating the media library after flashing to a 2.4 mod, I noticed that "about X5" showed the wrong fw version and the wrong size of the TF cards. I went back to various 2.3b mods, then 2.2 factory issue - still problems. The themes were changing as expected, but not the "about x5" details. Finally I went to 2.0 and everything came back to normal. After that, upgrading to my favrorite 2.4 mod (the one where all the problems started) worked perfectly.

So with that in mind I agree that "a full reset should do the trick".
That's a lot of effort to get the device to fully reset. I have only ever had one mod go belly up post install and the reset seemed to work for me. I must've gotten lucky. Good to know.

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #1,984 of 2,614
That's a lot of effort to get the device to fully reset. I have only ever had one mod go belly up post install and the reset seemed to work for me. I must've gotten lucky. Good to know.

Next time I update, I'll probably go straight back to 2.0 first and avoid most of that effort. I tend not to update as often as you guys because the media update takes so long (close to an hour usually). Part of me wants to try and reproduce the problem to be able to know what caused it, but I doubt I'll ever find the time.

Something I know little about is how these modified themes get packed into X5 memory. From what I can see, some modders leave out language fonts and some images. I'm sure they do this for creative reasons, but would it also be true that it frees up space? Or, thinking about that the other way... if a theme contains images that are more detailed than the original X5 fw, is there a possibility that they hit some memory boundary? Or is that not possible due to the way the data is unpacked when it is flashed into rom? I guess I'm assuming that the on-board storage for fw is quite small.

I've probably used some tech terms incorrectly here, but I'm sure you'll get the gist and I'd love to gain some more insight if anybody knows how the fw works at that level.

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #1,987 of 2,614
As Hawaiibadboy has said he's running out of room on his Dropbox...

Just a suggestion but have you guys every tried Mega for filesharing?  I only ask as I use it myself; it's 50GB of free storage and I do not believe there are download limits but I could be mistaken about that (as I don't share any items that have as much download activities as these wonderful mods do :))!

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #1,989 of 2,614
HBB, love that picture, looking good. B&W sometimes more powerful.

PS - stop winging about quotas, you shouldnt have had so many downloads!! Looking forward to this new theme.

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #1,991 of 2,614
I am almost there making everything look good, and better read friendly... i am hardcore editing everything now, trying to make everything better, it is quite a hard work, but i think that it will be worth it. 

Unfortunately, i will not be able to make it very friendly to read and elegant, it seems almost impossible, so there will be an elegant version, and a more read-friendly version, which should be great for using outside, in direct sun, but still trying to look as elegant as possible.

I am still using vortex and modern simplicity, with some original fw files. 

Apr 16, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #1,995 of 2,614
Next time I update, I'll probably go straight back to 2.0 first and avoid most of that effort. I tend not to update as often as you guys because the media update takes so long (close to an hour usually). Part of me wants to try and reproduce the problem to be able to know what caused it, but I doubt I'll ever find the time.

Something I know little about is how these modified themes get packed into X5 memory. From what I can see, some modders leave out language fonts and some images. I'm sure they do this for creative reasons, but would it also be true that it frees up space? Or, thinking about that the other way... if a theme contains images that are more detailed than the original X5 fw, is there a possibility that they hit some memory boundary? Or is that not possible due to the way the data is unpacked when it is flashed into rom? I guess I'm assuming that the on-board storage for fw is quite small.

I've probably used some tech terms incorrectly here, but I'm sure you'll get the gist and I'd love to gain some more insight if anybody knows how the fw works at that level.
I am not a modder myself but I suspect the tutorials tell them there are bounds they have to work within around how large the FW can go due to storage restrictions. I also know based on my own testing is some mods are a lot snappier than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back