FiiO X5 3rd gen Review Tour starts right now!!---Android based,Mastering Quality Lossless Playback Hi-Res Music Player
Feb 24, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #406 of 677
  Recently some friends are still asking us to join our review tour , if you do not mind to wait it for 2 months or more to review it , and then please apply by replying to this thread and including the following information in your reply:

-Headphone(s) / earphone(s) you possess:
-Any DAP(s) / DAC(s) / amp(s) you may possess
-Descriptions and links to review(s) you may have posted:
-Your geographical region (e.g. the city and country you live in):
-Your native language (and any other languages you may be able to write in)

Please kindly understand this is review tour ,and we will choose those friends are suitable for reviewing it finally. 

Thanks,

I can wait 2 months or more no problem. 

Here is my info:

-Headphone(s) / earphone(s) you possess: 1More Triple Driver (My daily IEM) & Rock Jaw Audio Resonate (Coming soon, I have already ordered) & Creative EP630 (My old friend, still working) & 1More Quad Driver (I am planning to buy when it will be available at the end of the March, 2017)

-Any DAP(s) / DAC(s) / amp(s) you may possess: As DAC/AMPs: I have Meridian Explorer 2 and Creative Sound Blaster E1 (For portable usage and also I am using it to AMP Meridian Explorer 2 line out) .I don't have a DAP now I am listening via LG V20 (Which is a great phone with Quad DAC) 

-Descriptions and links to review(s) you may have posted: I am new at head fi area but I have done a detailed review of Sennheiser Momentum In Ear for a Turkish hi-fi community if it counts I can share the link (It's in Turkish, but I can translate if needed) I like to share my ideas and I will be happy to review X5 3rd. 

-Your geographical region (e.g. the city and country you live in): Ankara, Turkey

-Your native language (and any other languages you may be able to write in): My native language is Turkish but I can easily review in English, too. 

Thanks @FiiO

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #408 of 677
  Just finished my review, hope you guys find it informative! Overall, the new 3rd Generation X5 boasts a far nicer build and finish to previous models in addition to improved sound quality. However, this time the device is not held back by a mediocre software experience. Fiio's adoption of Android grants the player with huge software flexibility yet the retention of hardware controls does not compromise on usability. Nice job Fiio!

https://everydaylisteningblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/24/fiio-x5-iii-review-affordable-luxury/
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-3rd-gen-premium-hi-res-dap/reviews/18084

Thanks for review, just I want to tell seems you are getting a better sound from Oppo-HA2 but we must keep in mind, HA2 is a DAC and at 300 USD. But X5 3RD is a complete solution to listen high res music and at 399 USD. What I get from your review is that X5 3RD is a very successful device at that price tag and between that kind of DAPs.

Again thanks for your detailed review and effort. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #409 of 677

Thanks for review, just I want to tell seems you are getting a better sound from Oppo-HA2 but we must keep in mind, HA2 is a DAC and at 300 USD. But X5 3RD is a complete solution to listen high res music and at 399 USD. What I get from your review is that X5 3RD is a very successful device at that price tag and between that kind of DAPs.

Again thanks for your detailed review and effort. 

Thank chaturanga, it is really impressive that the X5 III has similar sound quality to the HA-2 whilst including all of those other features and I think it's a really great device (9.25/10 is one of the highest scores I've ever given any device). It's kind of natural that the HA-2 sounds better than the X5 III since it employs a similar setup to the X7, even if it is an older device, I suspect that Fiio will likely use a similar setup in the X7 II when that comes out. And as you said, the Oppo almost the same price as the X5 III but functions purely as an audio device, I'll stress that differences in performance were minute between the two and that I do personally prefer a brighter sound which biases against the Fiio and towards the Oppo. Ultimately, it really depends what you want from your source and what you're currently using; my HTC 10 is already a great source for on the go, so I personally feel no need to buy a fully featured DAP, just a DAC/AMP that I can use at home with my HD700's (though this did not affect my score or review). 

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #410 of 677
Thank chaturanga, it is really impressive that the X5 III has similar sound quality to the HA-2 whilst including all of those other features and I think it's a really great device (9.25/10 is one of the highest scores I've ever given any device). It's kind of natural that the HA-2 sounds better than the X5 III since it employs a similar setup to the X7, even if it is an older device, I suspect that Fiio will likely use a similar setup in the X7 II when that comes out. And as you said, the Oppo almost the same price as the X5 III but functions purely as an audio device, I'll stress that differences in performance were minute between the two and that I do personally prefer a brighter sound which biases against the Fiio and towards the Oppo. Ultimately, it really depends what you want from your source and what you're currently using; my HTC 10 is already a great source for on the go, so I personally feel no need to buy a fully featured DAP, just a DAC/AMP that I can use at home with my HD700's. 
Im taking it that you prefer lean, colder treble sound. For me the X7 sounded difital, narrow and boring, hence I didnt buy it. You on the other hand seems to prefer the X7. Is the X7 with the stock amp? I had the HA2 but I greatly prefer my Hugo over the Oppo.

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #411 of 677

Thank chaturanga, it is really impressive that the X5 III has similar sound quality to the HA-2 whilst including all of those other features and I think it's a really great device (9.25/10 is one of the highest scores I've ever given any device). It's kind of natural that the HA-2 sounds better than the X5 III since it employs a similar setup to the X7, even if it is an older device, I suspect that Fiio will likely use a similar setup in the X7 II when that comes out. And as you said, the Oppo almost the same price as the X5 III but functions purely as an audio device, I'll stress that differences in performance were minute between the two and that I do personally prefer a brighter sound which biases against the Fiio and towards the Oppo. Ultimately, it really depends what you want from your source and what you're currently using; my HTC 10 is already a great source for on the go, so I personally feel no need to buy a fully featured DAP, just a DAC/AMP that I can use at home with my HD700's (though this did not affect my score or review). 

Sure success of a product is a different thing, what we need is another thing. Buying something depends what we need. If someone does not have a sufficient DAC to use with phone, and needs a complete high quality Android DAP solution (at that price), he or she can go with X5 3rd surely.

But if someone has a portable high level DAC as you, he will not need to change setup.

Edit: For example I have Meridian Explorer 2 and may be I will like it's sound more but I am not able to use it as portable DAC. (I can make it work with my phone but the setup seems funny with few cables connecting each other and I can not find a place in my pocket to put it) :)

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #412 of 677
Im taking it that you prefer lean, colder treble sound. For me the X7 sounded difital, narrow and boring, hence I didnt buy it. You on the other hand seems to prefer the X7. Is the X7 with the stock amp? I had the HA2 but I greatly prefer my Hugo over the Oppo.

From memory the X7 is Saber based too? I guess, it's all a matter of personal taste and I do personally like a brighter sound which would bias me towards the HA-2 and X7 (though I haven't had too much time with the X7). I haven't heard the Hugo, but have extensive experience with the Mojo and I do also prefer the Mojo over the Oppo even though it is darker since this sound does not come at the cost of resolution and detail. I found the X5 III to have that same kind of fuller sound but I also felt that it was more compromised in pursuing that sound. But that's just my experience from my headphone collection, I respect your differing preferences and your opinion, there are many factors that would affect your appreciation of the device in comparison to mine.  

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #413 of 677
From memory the X7 is Saber based too? I guess, it's all a matter of personal taste and I do personally like a brighter sound which would bias me towards the HA-2 and X7 (though I haven't had too much time with the X7). I haven't heard the Hugo, but have extensive experience with the Mojo and I do also prefer the Mojo over the Oppo even though it is darker since this sound does not come at the cost of resolution and detail. I found the X5 III to have that same kind of fuller sound but I also felt that it was more compromised in pursuing that sound. But that's just my experience from my headphone collection, I respect your differing preferences and your opinion, there are many factors that would affect your appreciation of the device in comparison to mine.  
I agree the Mojo has a great dac and sound and I prefer the Mojo over the X5III but I did buy the X5III and I sold the Mojo. I prefer the Hugo over the Mojo but I sold the Hugo aswell.

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #414 of 677
thanks for review ryanjsoo. finally a full english review and quite thorough! i want to ask few questions if you don't mind...
1. what do you think about sound of astell junior? i love it's sound signature, but it's usb-dac is broken and it has low resolution display and slow ui. Very happy to read new x5 is warm and smooth and hope it will sound something like junior.
2. can you compare it's sound to x5 2nd gen? I find 2nd gen quite harsh on upper mids, cold, detailed, not musical. Really hope x5iii has not much in common.
3. im very glad for your opinion on htc 10, im considering it as well. How much better is x5iii over htc 10 with portable closed design headphones... you know.. those who benefit from an amp, but don't necessary need one.

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #415 of 677
  thanks for review ryanjsoo. finally a full english review and quite thorough! i want to ask few questions if you don't mind...
1. what do you think about sound of astell junior? i love it's sound signature, but it's usb-dac is broken and it has low resolution display and slow ui. Very happy to read new x5 is warm and smooth and hope it will sound something like junior.
2. can you compare it's sound to x5 2nd gen? I find 2nd gen quite harsh on upper mids, cold, detailed, not musical. Really hope x5iii has not much in common.
3. im very glad for your opinion on htc 10, im considering it as well. How much better is x5iii over htc 10 with portable closed design headphones... you know.. those who benefit from an amp, but don't necessary need one.

I haven't heard the astell junior sorry, but if warm and smooth is your preferred sound than the X5 III should fit the bill. I did briefly compare with the X5 II when I was taking photos and the X5 II was definitely the brighter player, the X5 III never stood out as harsh to me, I would call it quite musical compared to the darker E17K and brighter HA-2. I really do like the 10, the X5 III has a firmer sub-bass impact, the sound is a little more detailed across the board and soundstage is reasonably improved when listening to my ie800's. The 10 is easily sufficient for portable usage, it isn't quite as good as the X5 III even with Denon's and Sony's. That being said, the difference in SQ between my HTC and X5 III and my laptop and X5 III is significantly less. The 10 also produces zero background noise which is great for earphones.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #416 of 677
  Recently some friends are still asking us to join our review tour , if you do not mind to wait it for 2 months or more to review it , and then please apply by replying to this thread and including the following information in your reply:

-Headphone(s) / earphone(s) you possess:
-Any DAP(s) / DAC(s) / amp(s) you may possess
-Descriptions and links to review(s) you may have posted:
-Your geographical region (e.g. the city and country you live in):
-Your native language (and any other languages you may be able to write in)

Please kindly understand this is review tour ,and we will choose those friends are suitable for reviewing it finally. 

Thanks,

- headphones: 64 Ears Adel A12 CIEM, VSonic GR07, Audeze Sine, Denon AH-D5000, MrSpeakers Ether C Flow
- DAPs: Sony NW-ZX2, iBasso DX200
- reviews:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/cayin-i5/reviews/17416
http://www.head-fi.org/products/cayin-n5-dsd-lossless-music-player/reviews/14671
- Poland, EU
- languages: Polish (native), English (fluent)

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #417 of 677
I have added my review for X5-3. 

Feels bad to let it go as it was a cool companion for the time being 
redface.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-3rd-gen-premium-hi-res-dap/reviews/18091

Users who are viewing this thread

Back