FiiO X5 3rd gen Review Tour starts right now!!---Android based,Mastering Quality Lossless Playback Hi-Res Music Player
Feb 20, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #318 of 677
If we can still be added to the review list, I'd like to be added:

64 Audio ADEL A12
Chord Mojo
Empire Ears Zeus XRA (soon)
ALO CDM

Modules:
B1, G1, S1, MAM

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #319 of 677
So here goes, I've loaded three SanDisk Ultra 256GB MicroSD, one full for the x7 and two split for the x5iii with an identical music misic selection everthing from classical to rock in mp3, DSD and FLAC. The fiio player on the x7 and the x5iii I would consider is identical eventhough the FW version numbers differ so I will not dwel on the outsanding issues......check out the x7 thread. Both scanned the same number of tracks, not all my music by about a 1000, but Fiio are on the case so hope fully this will be fixed before I have to pass the x5iii on. So I have also added the Neturon (paid for) player so I can compare SQ on that. Phones are Meze 99 clasics, Audeze LCD-XC and Fidue A83 all using standard cable and balances cables on each one. Also to test out the bluetooth a a pair of Sennheiser momentum 2.0 on-ear wireless. I do not tend to mess with output ie no Viper and no equiliser, so hopefully I'm reflecting what each player has to offer with each other.The x7 is about 8 months old, as a bliever in run-in electronics the x5iii has been sat playing to its self for about 6 hours. By the way the clear plastic cover is a nice touch but it gets in the way of getting a 2.5mm balanced plug in fuly seated especially if its a chunky one. But the included leatherette(?) cover is open at the bottom so has no such problem.

In 'pure' mode:

Sennheiser momentum 2.0 on-ear wireless:
Aptex is enabled, mid range appears a bit less clear than with the x7 but bass is the same.
ps no angry birds

Meze 99 clasic:
With the stock 3.5mm unbalanced you would be hard pushed to tell which player was which. However with the balanced cables and the x7 with the AM3, the x7 presents a better sound stage, bass is the same with both but top end a bit brighter with th x5iii

Fidue A83:
I hate to say this but with IEM I think the x5iii has it, perhaps because they are easier to drive? The difference on volume being 30 on the x7 AM3 and 42 on the x5iii for a similar percieved volume, unbalanced. But again with the balanced cable the x7 has it by a slim margin more open mids.

So lets put something silly on the end of them....... Audeze LCD-XC:
Sorry the x7 wins just more of everything.

Android, DLNA play, Tidal etc to follow. Coz my head is buzzing!

But its early days yet. I'll post a full review towards the end of my test period, but suffice to say I've put a pre order in at a UK dealer. 2x 256 is a lot more space for DSD tracks when your away from base and for use with IEM it appears to be a very promising player!

Thank you FIIO for letting me have a play with the x5iii and if anyone wants anything trying out let me know.

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #320 of 677
How's the line-out quality on both players?

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #321 of 677

Both are very good, they support analog or coaxial digital on the 3.5mm jack.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #322 of 677
  Android, DLNA play, Tidal etc to follow. Coz my head is buzzing!

Thank you FIIO for letting me have a play with the x5iii and if anyone wants anything trying out let me know.

Cheers for the impressions.

When you come to try Tidal is there any chance you could listen to a couple of offline tracks downloaded to one of your Micro SD cards and let me know if they play without any 'hiccups'?

I recently tried a Pioneer XPD-100R and experienced intermittent split second audio drop outs (1-2 times per track say) and have read similar reports with a couple of other Android DAPs I was considering.  It didn't half take the shine off things and I'm hoping the Fiio handles Tidal well as it tickes most other boxes for me.

Thanks & best wishes!

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #323 of 677

Cheers for the impressions.

When you come to try Tidal is there any chance you could listen to a couple of offline tracks downloaded to one of your Micro SD cards and let me know if they play without any 'hiccups'?

I recently tried a Pioneer XPD-100R and experienced intermittent split second audio drop outs (1-2 times per track say) and have read similar reports with a couple of other Android DAPs I was considering.  It didn't half take the shine off things and I'm hoping the Fiio handles Tidal well as it tickes most other boxes for me.

Thanks & best wishes!

Tidal is only down loading to the internal memory at the moment,  Fiio hope to get it to go to external sd's soon at least on the x7 but I would think on the x5iii as well. I've not had any dropouts but the odd click/pop, I think when I've moved out of good wifi reception at the back of the house while downloading.but that's only on the x7 not tried the X5iii yet on that. Thats tomorrows challenge while I'm at work, along with DLNA from my Synology over wifi.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #324 of 677

Both are very good, they support analog or coaxial digital on the 3.5mm jack.

There will be some differences due to the different DACs installed in both, but I would expect them both to be awesome in their quality! X5ii's line out never let me down and is one the DAC inside is brilliant. 

The DAC inside X5-3 is probably even better but DHL decided to keep my X5ii one more day and I'm already in 10 mails sent with them because of some errors they made in Romania. Expect me to have a rash review of DHL somewhere if they continue this for too long. The bright side is that it's not been 7 days since X5-3 was sent from China.  The dark side is that X5-3 was in Romania Friday morning and DHL didn't process it faster, even worse, I had to contact their local area manager to sort things out, and they still aren't fully sorted 
eek.gif

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #325 of 677
  Tidal is only down loading to the internal memory at the moment,  Fiio hope to get it to go to external sd's soon at least on the x7 but I would think on the x5iii as well. I've not had any dropouts but the odd click/pop, I think when I've moved out of good wifi reception at the back of the house while downloading.but that's only on the x7 not tried the X5iii yet on that. Thats tomorrows challenge while I'm at work, along with DLNA from my Synology over wifi.

Do you have the latest FW installed? 

FiiO mentioned a few times that you can download to external memory today, I will attach their post. You should update to latest FW to enjoy it's full functionality! 
beerchug.gif

Hi psikey ,

We did 
fix issue where some third-party music apps could not save downloads to the external SD cards on the FW1.1.0 already.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #326 of 677

Do you have the latest FW installed? 

FiiO mentioned a few times that you can download to external memory today, I will attach their post. You should update to latest FW to enjoy it's full functionality! 
beerchug.gif

Yes, but as I say I havent tried it yet on either as use Tidal at work, hope you get yours soon. The x5iii is playing at the moment via coax out into my Naim/Neat system...... can not fault it so far

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #327 of 677

Many thanks for the quick response and your impression so far with Tidal. Look forward to hearing how you get on with the 'road test' tomorrow.

That's a shame about Tidal not being able to use external storage at present. I think every other device I've used it with has supported it so hopefully it's something Fiio can address in the near future. Currently have  a pre-order in with AMP3 but as Tidal forms a big part of my daily listening I'll need to decide if I'm willing to slum it with just the onboard storage or whether it'd be better to hold off and see how things mature.

Cheers again.

Edit: just noticed Dobrescu George's post above so will keep an eye on how things go with the latest f/w. Touch wood!

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #328 of 677
My review unit arrived Friday. Tinkered with it on Saturday some, loaded to latest firmware yesterday afternoon.

Initial impressions are good as well. Packaged well, fired up easily, and after a little poking about easy to navigate.

I couldn't figure out why my tracks weren't in order no matter how I browsed to them (library or folders). Then I realized you can tap a little icon on the right in the bottom corner and sort by A to Z, track number, etc...

I don't own any android devices, so it's a learning curve for me, but it's super intuitive so far. Makes me think seriously about switching my phone to an android....

I switched with my last phone. iPhone 5s -> OnePlus 3. Couldn't be happier. Can't imagine going back to iPhone...

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #329 of 677
X5iii Tour unit received. Had to pay some import fees. Bah.

Let the testing commence!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back