Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 16, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #15,856 of 15,897
Dear god no, do not recommend a new user Fidelizer roms
@WitzyZed, to install the kernal but keep stock FW (currently on standard ota FW1.2.5) do I still have to follow the instructions to restore stock FW or just start following your instructions from this bit?

"
- END OF FIRMWARE STEPS -
******************************************************************************************************

Next we've got to install the TWRP (Custom Recovery) loader.
"

Mar 16, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #15,857 of 15,897
@WitzyZed, to install the kernal but keep stock FW (currently on standard ota FW1.2.5) do I still have to follow the instructions to restore stock FW or just start following your instructions from this bit?

"
- END OF FIRMWARE STEPS -
******************************************************************************************************

Next we've got to install the TWRP (Custom Recovery) loader.
"
Yep, you're good to start from TWRP portion of the steps!

*edit*

only useful thing (to note) might be this little blurb from the firmware part:

Hold down the “Previous Track” rocker button (the one closest to the volume dial) with your player powered down and connect the micro USB cable from your computer to your player.
-You should have heard a connection chime, and your player's screen and blue LED should both remain off. The player is now in the "bootloader" mode
-If holding the Previous Track rocker button has not achieved desired effect, please re-attempt but instead hold the Pause Button when connection to USB cable. If then successful, use this method on subsequent steps requiring bootloader mode.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #15,858 of 15,897
It‘s a lot more fun and adventurous with replacing the battery in the FiiO X-III as xnuthecaveman mentions. He probably forgot about the cold sweat on his back during this operation. Or he was just a dumb witness.
Link to buy batteries
Aliexpress 15.67 Euro + Shipping - Original for FiiO X5-III with rivet contacts made of sheet metal strips
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32977183901.html?mb=6QAJb9BDegpWpyY&srcSns=Telegram&tid=white_backgroup_101&tt=org.telegram.messenger&image=H9b458d8fe30a4b76a89be47359d23f1dx.jpg&aff_request_id=87eefe3299424ccfaddf2e7a6a0c624c-1587170840733-02060-_dY1IZbo&spreadType=socialShare&aff_platform=default&sk=_dY1IZbo&aff_trace_key=87eefe3299424ccfaddf2e7a6a0c624c-1587170840733-02060-_dY1IZbo&businessType=ProductDetail&templateId=white_backgroup_101&title=491,03+грн.++7%СКИДКА+|+Аккумулятор+для+Fiio+X5+III+Gen+3+Player+новый+литий-полимерный+перезаряжаемый+аккумулятор+Repalcement+3&platform=AE&terminal_id=84c77e5fe12f4cee9905e8f572fed942
Original FiiO battery.jpg

Ebay - universal battery with crushed contacts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-7V-3400-...656428?hash=item3d6216a5ac:g:7wcAAOSwZ3Ja4kBl
baterka Ebay.jpg

Necessary tools !!
Suction cup to open the back cover max diameter 55 mm - I got the ideal load from ELLIX up to 2 kg Not even a razor blade can be inserted into the gap between the cover and the body of the player
ELLIS 2 kg.jpg
Torx kit with 5-pointed screwdriver for service iPhone, Samsung etc - my only available source AliExpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966404452.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.49004c4dNuvVFX
Torx.jpg

Of course, a microsolder or soldering iron, tin, insulating tape, pliers or fixed tweezers to remove the contacts of the old battery.
Unfortunately, the original strip wires of the battery are probably riveted by some industrial spot soldering iron with a higher soldering temperature - I was not able to solder it even with a large soldering iron.
So just carefully tear off the small PCB board stuck to the original battery.
I don't know what home technology can reliably imitate the original connection, I chose a battery with Ebay wires - but it's quite fun to get it all under cover and not destroy the board.

The biggest crap in the whole operation was to stuff the new battery back and tear the tape contacts of the old battery from the PCB board.
01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpgELLIS 2 kg.jpg01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg

05.jpg
Thanks for the teardown, it made life a little less stressful when I did mine (finished about 15 minutes ago).
After discharging the X5 as much as possible (first in the OS and then sat at the bootloader) I decided to repeatedly stress/bend the old tags until they broke (it's only soft metal) and then teased removed them from the board itself after they'd broken off the battery. Scratching the surface of the contacts made it much easier to solder to the board (noting the +/- symbols on the battery and on the board). I managed to recover the metallic shielding tape and re-attach it to the new battery - not sure how important it is. I kept the insulating tape as tidy as possible, given the tight fit - as you said, the hardest part was getting it back in, but it does if you're patient.
Thought I'd add my notes to your most helpful post. nb I didn't need the sucker thing as the back had bulged slightly - a plectrum did the trick. The screwdriver was a 0.8 Pentalobe (nb not a Torx) from eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223699741568

Mar 31, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #15,859 of 15,897
Yep, you're good to start from TWRP portion of the steps!

*edit*

only useful thing (to note) might be this little blurb from the firmware part:

Hold down the “Previous Track” rocker button (the one closest to the volume dial) with your player powered down and connect the micro USB cable from your computer to your player.
-You should have heard a connection chime, and your player's screen and blue LED should both remain off. The player is now in the "bootloader" mode
-If holding the Previous Track rocker button has not achieved desired effect, please re-attempt but instead hold the Pause Button when connection to USB cable. If then successful, use this method on subsequent steps requiring bootloader mode.
@WitzyZed Finally decided to give this a go but after the first stage of the twrp section, once it's out of bootloader and fully on again it was really unstable, keeps restarting itself.
And after the last restart it began optimising apps. Now it is stuck on app 57 of 63!
Any ideas how to get it out of this before the battery goes flat?

Attachments

• 16802758662471978203022186029374.jpg
    16802758662471978203022186029374.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Mar 31, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #15,860 of 15,897
@WitzyZed Finally decided to give this a go but after the first stage of the twrp section, once it's out of bootloader and fully on again it was really unstable, keeps restarting itself.
And after the last restart it began optimising apps. Now it is stuck on app 57 of 63!
Any ideas how to get it out of this before the battery goes flat?
Just a few questions in no particular order :

Did you make any backups once TWRP was installed?
Have you installed root or the kernel via TWRP?

Other questions might come to me, but this miiiight be a sign that restoring to a barebones stock firmware image might be beneficial before installing the kernel. Just a thought.

Apr 1, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #15,861 of 15,897
Just a few questions in no particular order :

Did you make any backups once TWRP was installed?
Have you installed root or the kernel via TWRP?

Other questions might come to me, but this miiiight be a sign that restoring to a barebones stock firmware image might be beneficial before installing the kernel. Just a thought.
I think I made any backups just got to the end of step of installing the twrp recovery tool thing. Step highlighted in screenshot.
I have since managed to get it back to powered off state and did the stock firmware instal, installed 1.2.1(not sure if this was necessary?), then 1.2.3, the also did X5-ota-1.2.5.
After that and data reset it was behaving again.
I then tried again with the rest of the steps but it had the same issue after trying to start it up at this point. Seems to start booting, showing welcome text but then looks like it restarts again, shows welcome once more, then starts optimising apps and gets stuck on one of them. I was able to get it to restart again by holding down the power but now it's got black screen but power light on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230401_182142_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230401_182142_Chrome.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 0
Apr 1, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #15,862 of 15,897
I think I made any backups just got to the end of step of installing the twrp recovery tool thing. Step highlighted in screenshot.
I have since managed to get it back to powered off state and did the stock firmware instal, installed 1.2.1(not sure if this was necessary?), then 1.2.3, the also did X5-ota-1.2.5.
After that and data reset it was behaving again.
I then tried again with the rest of the steps but it had the same issue after trying to start it up at this point. Seems to start booting, showing welcome text but then looks like it restarts again, shows welcome once more, then starts optimising apps and gets stuck on one of them. I was able to get it to restart again by holding down the power but now it's got black screen but power light on.
After pressing "reset device" in android recovery tool, your device should have power light on and show battery charging/charged icon. The very next boot attempt is where you start having trouble?

Before attempting a normal boot, try unplugging cable from the player, use the key combination to enter TWRP, and just mount internal storage on your PC and copy SuperSU and Kernel zip over to it. From there, skip to the following point in the guide then continue on ->

Code:
Go to Home in TWRP

Press 'Install' Tile

Just last night, I did a firmware restore to 1.2.3 (+factory data reset), ota zip upgrade to 1.2.5 (+factory data reset), replaced stock recovery with TWRP, installed SuperSU in TWRP, rebooted, gave access to my root requiring apps at that point, then went back to TWRP to install the kernel. No problems like these crashing/bootloops, especially at this early point in the process..

Apr 1, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #15,863 of 15,897
After pressing "reset device" in android recovery tool, your device should have power light on and show battery charging/charged icon. The very next boot attempt is where you start having trouble?

Before attempting a normal boot, try unplugging cable from the player, use the key combination to enter TWRP, and just mount internal storage on your PC and copy SuperSU and Kernel zip over to it. From there, skip to the following point in the guide then continue on ->

Code:
Go to Home in TWRP

Press 'Install' Tile

Just last night, I did a firmware restore to 1.2.3 (+factory data reset), ota zip upgrade to 1.2.5 (+factory data reset), replaced stock recovery with TWRP, installed SuperSU in TWRP, rebooted, gave access to my root requiring apps at that point, then went back to TWRP to install the kernel. No problems like these crashing/bootloops, especially at this early point in the process..
Thank you so much! That seems to have worked. Although some weird crap happened during this, but looks fine after successful instal of the kernel.
The weird crap is when I opened super SU the screen would go black and nothing would wake it, just black screen and power button illuminated. After holding down power button till it restarted. It boots up like the old screen is still there and the rebooted display is over layed on top..

Attachments

• 20230401_222553.jpg
    20230401_222553.jpg
    747.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230401_223257.jpg
    20230401_223257.jpg
    912.5 KB · Views: 0
Apr 1, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #15,864 of 15,897
Thank you so much! That seems to have worked. Although some weird crap happened during this, but looks fine after successful install of the kernel.
The weird crap is when I opened super SU the screen would go black and nothing would wake it, just black screen and power button illuminated. After holding down power button till it restarted. It boots up like the old screen is still there and the rebooted display is overlaid on top..
That's a new one! Phantom apps from different sessions, interesting..
Relieved that you got your player over that hurdle, friend.

May 12, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #15,866 of 15,897
Been using an 'Extreme Plus" without issue. From factory it should be exfat format, which custom kernel behaves best with.

May 30, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #15,867 of 15,897
Hi,

I broke that little band/strap when opening the fiio. How can I find a replacement ?

02.jpg

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #15,869 of 15,897
I've accidentally removed Google Play services from my device, and I can't figure out how to restore them.
I'm on the stock ROM with the latest version of jkbuha's custom kernel.

I've tried reinstalling the kernel and doing a factory reset, but neither worked. Could anyone give me some guidance?

Oct 12, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #15,870 of 15,897
I've accidentally removed Google Play services from my device, and I can't figure out how to restore them.
I'm on the stock ROM with the latest version of jkbuha's custom kernel.

I've tried reinstalling the kernel and doing a factory reset, but neither worked. Could anyone give me some guidance?
Can’t you just browse to Google and download it?

EDIT: I didn’t watch this but maybe it will help?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back