Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Oct 15, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #15,827 of 15,899
I have checked 3 portable external DACs (Hidiz Sonata s9+, Cayin Ru6, Megatron) on X5 (vanilla firmare) NO LUCK

I have successfully installed custom firmware 3.41.

Is it possible to use external DACs with this or do I even bother to try it?

Is there any chance that in a future firmware it will be possible?

It would be wonderful!

Thanks in advance
The only DAC that I've got that relies on the power from X5III is my Meridian Explorer2 (ME2). This is a full MQA hardware decoder. I had it working pretty much from the get go after it was connected. I was streaming Benjamin Lackner's new album "Last Decade" on Tidal. It's MQA 24/88.2.

Here's how I connected it:

1. With UAPP still not open in the DAP, connected X5III to the ME2 via USB. Immediately got the "USB Audio Device Initialized" message. The connection was OTG cable (micro B to USB A female) from X5III, connected to a USB A male to mini B cable into the ME2.

2. UAPP player reflecting that a USB DAC is connected.

3. Started the song. Result: Green light reflecting MQA on the ME2 and song playing fine. UAPP player showing ME2 was decoding 88.2 kHz. Volume ctl on the X5III.

I had similar success with an iFi Nano iDSD BL Amp/DAC (has internal battery), Topping NX4DSD Amp/DAC (internal battery) and Schiit Modi2 Uber DAC (powered).

I wonder if your issue might be the X5III not supplying enough power to those particular DACs.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #15,828 of 15,899
New attempt made but without success.
More dongle cheched USB-C Apple dongle, Terratec Sonata Pro, Terratec Sonata E44, ibasso Dc3
The only DAC that I've got that relies on the power from X5III is my Meridian Explorer2 (ME2). This is a full MQA hardware decoder. I had it working pretty much from the get go after it was connected. I was streaming Benjamin Lackner's new album "Last Decade" on Tidal. It's MQA 24/88.2.

Here's how I connected it:

1. With UAPP still not open in the DAP, connected X5III to the ME2 via USB. Immediately got the "USB Audio Device Initialized" message. The connection was OTG cable (micro B to USB A female) from X5III, connected to a USB A male to mini B cable into the ME2.

2. UAPP player reflecting that a USB DAC is connected.

3. Started the song. Result: Green light reflecting MQA on the ME2 and song playing fine. UAPP player showing ME2 was decoding 88.2 kHz. Volume ctl on the X5III.

I had similar success with an iFi Nano iDSD BL Amp/DAC (has internal battery), Topping NX4DSD Amp/DAC (internal battery) and Schiit Modi2 Uber DAC (powered).

I wonder if your issue might be the X5III not supplying enough power to those particular DACs.

Never appears: "USB Audio Device Initialized" message with none of the DACs
Cables used are OK (OTG verified with another hardware) . I don't think it's a power problem since they are portable DACs (low consuption)

I use custom firmware 3.41. Maybe I need to "reconfigure" the custom firmware?

What vanilla firmware are you using?

thanks in advance

Oct 16, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #15,829 of 15,899
Custom kernel version is 3.4.1, your firmware version is likely 1.2.3 or 1.2.5... (i recommend stock fw over any fidelizer roms)

Oct 16, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #15,830 of 15,899
Custom kernel version is 3.4.1, your firmware version is likely 1.2.3 or 1.2.5... (i recommend stock fw over any fidelizer roms)

Sorry. Yes. correct. I use Fidelizer Rom 1.2.5 (from your instruccions) and kernel 3.4.1 (from your instructions, too)

Maybe this Fidelizer ROM is the problem of "no external DAC suported"?

I think that to reinstall the official roms it is enough to use the Fiio firmware upgrade tools 1.2.1 or 1.2.3. it's correct?

Oct 16, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #15,831 of 15,899
New attempt made but without success.
More dongle cheched USB-C Apple dongle, Terratec Sonata Pro, Terratec Sonata E44, ibasso Dc3

Never appears: "USB Audio Device Initialized" message with none of the DACs
Cables used are OK (OTG verified with another hardware) . I don't think it's a power problem since they are portable DACs (low consuption)

I use custom firmware 3.41. Maybe I need to "reconfigure" the custom firmware?

What vanilla firmware are you using?

thanks in advance
I'm using firmware 1.25 and USB Audio Player Pro v. 6.0.8.9., totally stock/vanilla X5III. I wonder if the directionality of the USB cables might be an issue ? Did you try reversing them ? (if both sides are Micro-B). Are you connecting to a DAC with other than micro-B interfaces?, as maybe the X5 doesn't acknowledge the other interface. My ME2 DAC has mini-B (not micro) on its end and X5 does see it. There may be some kind of interface incompatibility issue along with just the possibility X5 is not getting enough power to the dongles and of course maybe it just needs to have the stock firmware. I think you can add in external USB power to dongles but I haven't looked into that area in a while. Do you have a powered DAC you could try?

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #15,832 of 15,899
I wonder if the directionality of the USB cables might be an issue ? Did you try reversing them ? (if both sides are Micro-B). Are you connecting to a DAC with other than micro-B interfaces?, as maybe the X5 doesn't acknowledge the other interface. My ME2 DAC has mini-B (not micro) on its end and X5 does see it.

I use various microUSB to USB-C cables, and various microUSB male to USB-c female adapter + USB-C cables. All combis recognize Fiio X5 mk3 from PC (can read/transfer files charge FIIO) .
There may be some kind of interface incompatibility issue along with just the possibility X5 is not getting enough power to the dongles and of course maybe it just needs to have the stock firmware. I think you can add in external USB power to dongles but I haven't looked into that area in a while. Do you have a powered DAC you could try?
The Megatron can be used powered. Checked but non luck. I have a Topping D10. Still not checked.

The only difference is that I use custom kernel and of course other DACs.

We will keep trying
:)

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #15,834 of 15,899
Como se dice en España. Mi gozo en un pozo.

Reinstalled vanilla 1.2.5. Android 5.1.1. Kernel 3.0.101+

First attemp: Powered DAC Megatron: not detected :tired_face::tired_face::tired_face::tired_face:

From
https://www.headphonesty.com/2022/05/review-venture-electronics-megatron/

"Connecting a power source to the CHARGE port while the Megatron is connected to my iPhone X, causes my phone to disconnect. YMMV."

That DAC seems to have a somewhat unconventional powering design. It's possible that the X5III may be responding like that iPhone. I wonder, do you just have a regular amp/DAC with an internal battery, or one with a plug-in power/standard AC adaptor that you could try?

Oct 17, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #15,835 of 15,899
From
https://www.headphonesty.com/2022/05/review-venture-electronics-megatron/

"Connecting a power source to the CHARGE port while the Megatron is connected to my iPhone X, causes my phone to disconnect. YMMV."

That DAC seems to have a somewhat unconventional powering design. It's possible that the X5III may be responding like that iPhone. I wonder, do you just have a regular amp/DAC with an internal battery, or one with a plug-in power/standard AC adaptor that you could try?

I know that problem. Thanks.

It depends on the manufacturer's software implementation when the mobile is in charge: Some manufactureres disable OTG function (The samre problem witrh some Google mobiles)

No problem with my Oppo and LG G7: Megatron battery conected (and not connected, only feed by mobile USB-c conection) and no problem (and the mobiles are at the same time charging with Megatron battery conected).

I only have portable DACs (none with internal battery or AC adaptor). Checked another time with 1.2.5 vanilla and not luck.

It's not a serious problem either, but it pisses me off not knowing why this happens.

I'm not a excesively purist and the FIIO internal dac doesn't sound bad, especially because of the balanced output.

Oct 17, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #15,836 of 15,899
I have had success with attaching dongles to the X5 iii I have attached a Hiby FC3, a Hidiz S3 Pro and a Jcally Mqa dongle all of which went purple on MQA decode I had to use many combos of cable before it worked its very picky on what it will accept I have had to buy loads of cables to get it to work they have to support OTG I find a regular usb c to mini for data will not work.

Oct 17, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #15,837 of 15,899
I have had success with attaching dongles to the X5 iii I have attached a Hiby FC3, a Hidiz S3 Pro and a Jcally Mqa dongle all of which went purple on MQA decode I had to use many combos of cable before it worked its very picky on what it will accept I have had to buy loads of cables to get it to work they have to support OTG I find a regular usb c to mini for data will not work.
Many of the portable DACS I have use a USB-c. I have checked a lot of microUSBtoUSB-C adapters but with none the DACs work.. The other option is for the DACs that use a USB-c-to-USB-c cable is replace this for a microUSB-to-USB-c OTG cable. I have checked too a lot of diferent cables but...

Oct 18, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #15,838 of 15,899
Finaly, Succes!!!!

Hidiz Sonata S10+ and Cayin Ru6 recognized by UAPP on Fiio X5 iii But only when open UAPP, not when conecting them. Finally I think is a question of cable compatibility.

Now the problem is knowing where to really buy this cable to find a spare part.
:dt880smile:

edit: This (at least to use it instead of the original cable of the Cayin and Sonata S9+):

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005...5ae63634f3d97d32acdebbafa2c&afSmartRedirect=y

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #15,840 of 15,899
A simple question: is there a fully charged indicator for the X5 iii?

Maybe the Charge Icon "Full white" and "not animated"?
From powered down state and charging, full white battery icon can mean just a few ticks under 100%, it's not the most precise indicator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back