Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Oct 12, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #15,871 of 15,897
I've accidentally removed Google Play services from my device, and I can't figure out how to restore them.
I'm on the stock ROM with the latest version of jkbuha's custom kernel.

I've tried reinstalling the kernel and doing a factory reset, but neither worked. Could anyone give me some guidance?

If you did a removal of play services using the kernel installer, it may have backups that the kernel installer's restore menu may have a chance with.

The only surefire way to restore google play services, is to flash a stock firmware image using the firmware upgrade tool.

Does that bring you back to square one?

Unfortunately, yes.

Oct 12, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #15,872 of 15,897
If you did a removal of play services using the kernel installer, it may have backups that the kernel installer's restore menu may have a chance with.

The only surefire way to restore google play services, is to flash a stock firmware image using the firmware upgrade tool.

Does that bring you back to square one?

Unfortunately, yes.

Unfortunately, backups got deleted when I factory reset the device. Was hoping there was some other way, but guess I'll reflash with stock. Thanks for the help

Oct 12, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #15,873 of 15,897
Unfortunately, backups got deleted when I factory reset the device. Was hoping there was some other way, but guess I'll reflash with stock. Thanks for the help
For manual backups in TWRP, best to set backup directory to your SD card in the future! The backups the kernel tool automatically makes does bury them in the system partition, unfortunately, I think in /system/app/X-Backup and /system/priv-app/X-Backup. Worth plucking those out in the future for replacement?

There's a mod/unlocked version of greenify
(here) that can hibernate system applications (like play store, services, framework, and account manager), once you set it to ignore working state, and catch and cut off all of the wake-up paths, it's essentially the same as gutting the play store altogether.

(Copy pasting this from my longer write-up)
With root access and a file explorer, by changing the following folders' permissions:
/data/data/com.android.providers.downloads/cache
/data/data/com.android.providers.downloads/files
from 771 (-rwxrwx--x) to 551 (-r-xr-x--x), Google Play store and Google Play services can be forced to NOT update themselves. To download any application updates from Play store you need to change these back momentarily to 771 (and then back to 551 before it gets wise and tries to download Play store updates). The stock GP Store and Services are far more lightweight compared to the updated ones. Note with those folder's permissions set to 551 you can still download files from any other browser application.

Oct 12, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #15,874 of 15,897
For manual backups in TWRP, best to set backup directory to your SD card in the future! The backups the kernel tool automatically makes does bury them in the system partition, unfortunately, I think in /system/app/X-Backup and /system/priv-app/X-Backup. Worth plucking those out in the future for replacement?

Thanks, that sounds like a good idea.

I'm still having trouble with the Play Store unfortunately. I've installed the updated kernel, connected to wifi, and signed into my Google account. When I try to connect to the Play Store, it just tells me that I have a server error.

Oct 12, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #15,875 of 15,897
Thanks, that sounds like a good idea.

I'm still having trouble with the Play Store unfortunately. I've installed the updated kernel, connected to wifi, and signed into my Google account. When I try to connect to the Play Store, it just tells me that I have a server error.
Are your date and time settings correct? The stock firmware defaults to a mainland china timezone.

Oct 25, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #15,878 of 15,897
Is x5 iii still a good device when it comes to streaming in 2023 ? Will I be able to run Apple music ? Or at least Spotify ?
No apple music, sorry. Spotify lite will run, but lately my unit has been extra picky about WiFi, not liking any sort of automatic band routing (2.4/5Ghz). It only will connect to a purely 2.4 GHz WiFi signal. Even then it's sorta painstaking.

The X5's rockchip cpu and the early M11's exynos cpu don't play nice with apple music, is my understanding.

The X5iii was never a good device for streaming, honestly. There's a reason I only use it with a topped off 1 TB card.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #15,879 of 15,897
No apple music, sorry. Spotify lite will run, but lately my unit has been extra picky about WiFi, not liking any sort of automatic band routing (2.4/5Ghz). It only will connect to a purely 2.4 GHz WiFi signal. Even then it's sorta painstaking.

The X5's rockchip cpu and the early M11's exynos cpu don't play nice with apple music, is my understanding.

The X5iii was never a good device for streaming, honestly. There's a reason I only use it with a topped off 1 TB card.
Thanks for the reply ! Was looking for exactly that.

Dec 17, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #15,880 of 15,897
Hi folks. I've been away for some time now, having drifted away from portable audio. I now find the need to return to this area. I've blown the dust off of my portable gear. I find that my X5-iii still works okay, but the battery life is dismal (as in an hour or less, using Neutron or HIBY, single-ended IEMs, not using BT or WiFi). There is a very slight bulge at the back side of the case.

Is it feasible to replace the battery with a 3rd party after-market battery? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!! TIA!

Dec 17, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #15,881 of 15,897
Hi folks. I've been away for some time now, having drifted away from portable audio. I now find the need to return to this area. I've blown the dust off of my portable gear. I find that my X5-iii still works okay, but the battery life is dismal (as in an hour or less, using Neutron or HIBY, single-ended IEMs, not using BT or WiFi). There is a very slight bulge at the back side of the case.

Is it feasible to replace the battery with a 3rd party after-market battery? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!! TIA!
15 months ago (approx) I replaced my FiiO x5iii with an identical sized 3rd party battery, but that appeared to start to bulge after about 12 months. So, in a fit of frustration/panic, I found an old small 700mAh that I had lying around and fitted that (with both limiters from the original FiiO battery and the 700mah one, in parallel). 3 months on, and I can report that it's happy, especially given that it sits in the dock most of the time, but it will run for 45 mins to an hour (IIRC) - I run the stock firmware and NeutronMP
Not sure if this link to the FiiO forum works for you but... https://forum.fiio.com/note/showNoteContent.do?id=202202202058584951285

Dec 17, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #15,882 of 15,897

In addition to the good link above with helpful instructions (such as the needed 0.8mm pentalobe screwdriver), you need to find a ~3400 mAh battery, 3.7v, 604495. Here's one for ~ $21 from digikey

Link

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #15,883 of 15,897
In addition to the good link above with helpful instructions (such as the needed 0.8mm pentalobe screwdriver), you need to find a ~3400 mAh battery, 3.7v, 604495. Here's one for ~ $21 from digikey

Link
Thanks very much, I'll look into it right after the holiday$. :wink:

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #15,884 of 15,897
15 months ago (approx) I replaced my FiiO x5iii with an identical sized 3rd party battery, but that appeared to start to bulge after about 12 months. So, in a fit of frustration/panic, I found an old small 700mAh that I had lying around and fitted that (with both limiters from the original FiiO battery and the 700mah one, in parallel). 3 months on, and I can report that it's happy, especially given that it sits in the dock most of the time, but it will run for 45 mins to an hour (IIRC) - I run the stock firmware and NeutronMP
Not sure if this link to the FiiO forum works for you but... https://forum.fiio.com/note/showNoteContent.do?id=202202202058584951285
Thanks for the info!!!

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #15,885 of 15,897
Hello to all,
I've been offered a X5iii but there is a slight problem, the owner deleted the FiiO Music App and for some reason can't reinstall it.

I've tried downloading the Music App but unable to locate a downloading source.

I believe you can obtain it from the Google Play store, is that correct?

I need more information before I commit to buy the item.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Best Regards
Raymond

Users who are viewing this thread

Back