Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Aug 21, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #15,736 of 15,899
Dear friend,

Since the X5III does not has charge off option like our BTR5, the X5III will be charged by the iOS device when connecting. And because of this, the iOS device may not recognize it as a USB DAC. Can you use the X5III as USB DAC for the computer? If yes, it may be a compatibility problem between the X5III and your iOS device.

Best regards
I think the answer is a combination of both. The iPad is charging the X5III which is why it (probably) not recognizing it as an external DAC. I wonder if there is an iPad OS setting to turn the charging off and therefore solving this issue?

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #15,737 of 15,899
I think the answer is a combination of both. The iPad is charging the X5III which is why it (probably) not recognizing it as an external DAC. I wonder if there is an iPad OS setting to turn the charging off and therefore solving this issue?
Dear friend,

I did not find that charging off option in the iPad. But the charge option has been added in some of our DAC products. So when connecting to iPad, the user could turn off the charge option in the DAC first in order to avoiding the charging from iPad.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 24, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #15,738 of 15,899
Dear friend,

I did not find that charging off option in the iPad. But the charge option has been added in some of our DAC products. So when connecting to iPad, the user could turn off the charge option in the DAC first in order to avoiding the charging from iPad.

Best regards
Thanks. Where would I find that setting option to turn off the charging on the DAC? I’m assuming it’s on Android OS.

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #15,739 of 15,899
Thanks. Where would I find that setting option to turn off the charging on the DAC? I’m assuming it’s on Android OS.
Dear friend,

This function is not supported in our player. But it has been added for our DAC product like Q3, BTR5.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 31, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #15,740 of 15,899
I have a query, I've been happily using UAPP for MQA tracks but now my X5 shows me 44.1khz even with an MQA file. I'm not sure if I've done anything wrong. I've attached a photo below.

Attachments

• 16304203697695666668041714229257.jpg
    16304203697695666668041714229257.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Aug 31, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #15,741 of 15,899
I have a query, I've been happily using UAPP for MQA tracks but now my X5 shows me 44.1khz even with an MQA file. I'm not sure if I've done anything wrong. I've attached a photo below.
Looks fine, my X5III has the exact same output displayed when I'm playing one of those tracks using the UAPP MQA plug-in.

In Tidal when you stream MQA, Tidal sends either a 44.1kHz or 48kHz raw stream. The MQA plug-in in UAPP will MQA-unfold it to 88.2 or 96 kHz.

As it looks like you are using UAPP w/MQA plug-in and streaming Tidal MQA, The 44.1kHz is the raw sample rate of the streamed MQA file and the direct: 88.2kHz is the 2X unfolded MQA output done by the MQA plug-in.

Your particular file looks like one of those 16 bit, formerly CD quality HiFi tracks (16/44.1), that Tidal/MQA have converted to MQA (note that it is still 16 bit (not 24 bit). This conversion of these former regular CD/HiFi albums/tracks is a relatively recent (last couple of years) development at Tidal.

As far as I have seen, the more "official" Hi-Res 24 bit Tidal Masters will come up in UAPP as 48 kHz 24 bit on the right side of the display and direct: 96kHz as they are unfolded 2X in UAPP with the plug-in.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #15,742 of 15,899
Looks fine, my X5III has the exact same output displayed when I'm playing one of those tracks using the UAPP MQA plug-in.

In Tidal when you stream MQA, Tidal sends either a 44.1kHz or 48kHz raw stream. The MQA plug-in in UAPP will MQA-unfold it to 88.2 or 96 kHz.

As it looks like you are using UAPP w/MQA plug-in and streaming Tidal MQA, The 44.1kHz is the raw sample rate of the streamed MQA file and the direct: 88.2kHz is the 2X unfolded MQA output done by the MQA plug-in.

Your particular file looks like one of those 16 bit, formerly CD quality HiFi tracks (16/44.1), that Tidal/MQA have converted to MQA (note that it is still 16 bit (not 24 bit). This conversion of these former regular CD/HiFi albums/tracks is a relatively recent (last couple of years) development at Tidal.

As far as I have seen, the more "official" Hi-Res 24 bit Tidal Masters will come up in UAPP as 48 kHz 24 bit on the right side of the display and direct: 96kHz as they are unfolded 2X in UAPP with the plug-in.
Oh thank you! That's good to know!

Sep 26, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #15,745 of 15,899
Hi all, i am trying to get my device to go to bootloader, but no luck, tried for more than two hours hundreds of reboots and combinations of back/pause and power, nothing happening except two times got to the reset screen but when i chose reboot to bootloader it does nothing.
Please help! i have latest firmware and windows usb driver.

Sep 26, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #15,746 of 15,899
Hi all, i am trying to get my device to go to bootloader, but no luck, tried for more than two hours hundreds of reboots and combinations of back/pause and power, nothing happening except two times got to the reset screen but when i chose reboot to bootloader it does nothing.
Please help! i have latest firmware and windows usb driver.
Hold down the “Previous Track” rocker button (the one closest to the volume dial) with your player powered down and connect the micro USB cable from your computer to your player.
-You should have heard a connection chime, and your player's screen and blue LED should both remain off.

Holding Back/Pause/Power (releasing Power on Welcome Screen) will get you into Stock or Custom Recovery, and holding Back + connecting to USB should get you into Bootloader mode.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #15,747 of 15,899
Thank you for your answer!!

I have tried to do this exactly as you told me (which was the same that i had tried all the time) and i managed to get to the Stock recovery console more times than before.

If i choose reboot to bootloader, nothing happens (black screen blue power light on).

If i press back and connect usb also nothing happens, i hear a chime but the device in not recognized either by windows or the Android tool.

Either i am very stupid or the device is not working properly (i sincerely hope that i am stupid):sweat:

Sep 27, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #15,748 of 15,899
Thank you for your answer!!

I have tried to do this exactly as you told me (which was the same that i had tried all the time) and i managed to get to the Stock recovery console more times than before.

If i choose reboot to bootloader, nothing happens (black screen blue power light on).

If i press back and connect usb also nothing happens, i hear a chime but the device in not recognized either by windows or the Android tool.

Either i am very stupid or the device is not working properly (i sincerely hope that i am stupid):sweat:

Having the android tool open while you try is a good method, to at least see when the device becomes visible to the tool. When connecting to usb while holding back button, it should become visible to the tool (but NOT windows in any meaningful way except for connection chime).

I have never used the "reboot to bootloader" option from stock recovery as a means to reliably enter it.

I would see if "enable USB debugging" is enabled under your x5iii's developer options. (This might help, might not, I'm not at home to test right this moment)

Sep 28, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #15,749 of 15,899
Thanks again for the reply!

Yes i have the tool open, but the device is not recognized ever, whatever combination i do.

I must say that i have had problems with the usb connection to PC ( icould never use it as usb dac, i could see storage though) with this device in the past, but lately with the latest usb driver it does work as DAC without any problems with foobar.

I am waiting to see if usb debugging will work, i will try tonight when i get home from work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back