Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jul 3, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #15,166 of 15,897
I came across this once as well. If it's the same issue I had, then you should still be able to ssh/adb into the player normally; it's just the screen that doesn't turn on. It's harmless, rebooting will revert player and screen back to normal.

If anyone else has this issue please let me know and I'll lower the GPU clock slightly for v3.4

Jul 3, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #15,167 of 15,897
I came across this once as well. If it's the same issue I had, then you should still be able to ssh/adb into the player normally; it's just the screen that doesn't turn on. It's harmless, rebooting will revert player and screen back to normal.

If anyone else has this issue please let me know and I'll lower the GPU clock slightly for v3.4

The serious problem is that the Power Knob absolutely stops responding when you try to turn on FiiO. Certainly this is not a mechanical button problem, I held it for 20 seconds and no response. What eventually kicked him off after a 10-hour break is a mystery to me. And absolutely no response when connected to a PC. And everything worked for 2 days correctly. Maybe a combination of sleep mode and GPU in conjunction with battery charging. Battery and system wake up and reflash without faults - at 3.2. The Kernel Adiutor also shows permanently 2 processors' cores at 3.2 and all 4 activated at system request.
I tried to wake him up by erasing both UAPP and FiiO Music databases and scans again. Everything OK.

Jul 3, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #15,168 of 15,897
The serious problem is that the Power Knob absolutely stops responding when you try to turn on FiiO. Certainly this is not a mechanical button problem, I held it for 20 seconds and no response. What eventually kicked him off after a 10-hour break is a mystery to me. And absolutely no response when connected to a PC. And everything worked for 2 days correctly. Maybe a combination of sleep mode and GPU in conjunction with battery charging. Battery and system wake up and reflash without faults - at 3.2. The Kernel Adiutor also shows permanently 2 processors' cores at 3.2 and all 4 activated at system request.
I tried to wake him up by erasing both UAPP and FiiO Music databases and scans again. Everything OK.

I'm going to be making some changes to the way the GPIO handles buttons in V3.4, so it will be worth you updating to that when it's released to fully test it.

Especially since V3.4 finally fixes the dreaded SD2 card shutdown bug found in the original firmware...

Jul 3, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #15,169 of 15,897
I'm going to be making some changes to the way the GPIO handles buttons in V3.4, so it will be worth you updating to that when it's released to fully test it.

Especially since V3.4 finally fixes the dreaded SD2 card shutdown bug found in the original firmware...

I thought I was the only one that had the issue with SD Card slot 2. Good to know it might be fixable

Jul 3, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #15,170 of 15,897

What is the dreaded SD2 card shutdown? I think I might have had a few instances of it not being recognized but that was awhile ago. Since using your Kernel I have not notice it at all.

Jul 3, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #15,171 of 15,897
I only have a problem with SD2 if I have turned on (autorun) UAPP or Foobar after boot. Just turn off the autorun, or increase the sleep value in the 60Main configuration file to 50. The problem has definitely disappeared after the first restart.
But I didn't have a regular problem with the SD2 card - 2 x 128 Gb Samsung SDXC

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #15,172 of 15,897
Both in the original firmware and kernel versions up to 3.31, the SD2 bug still persists in some form or other. I've never really gotten round to fixing it because I mainly use streaming services, and the issue never occurred to me. But it's very common to spot, and mostly happens when the player is paused on screen off and left for more than 2 mins. SD2 powers off 2 out of 3 times in that scenario, and pressing play again on screen off doesn't bring the card back online.

V3.4 (which will be released in a few days) fixes that scenario.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #15,173 of 15,897
i had similar issue where the player booted with garbled screen.
now I got a bigger issue.
i cant download apps from play store anymore
it just hangs at downloading but never actually starts,
no app downloads
its not internet issue as I can browse play store or websites fine

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #15,174 of 15,897
i had similar issue where the player booted with garbled screen.
now I got a bigger issue.
i cant download apps from play store anymore
it just hangs at downloading but never actually starts,
no app downloads
its not internet issue as I can browse play store or websites fine

If you have Google Play active, reset your settings / app / GPlay or remove your GPlay account. Especially when recovering from a backup from TWRP it fooles

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #15,176 of 15,897
I customized a 3d printed phone stand to fit my new fiio m11 and find it works also for the X5III. It holds the player securely and allows access to the bottom of the player. i am pleased how sturdy and functional it is. Anyway, if you can get at a printer the file is free. Maybe someone will find it useful. more info and download here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3725259

20190705_132651[1].jpg

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #15,177 of 15,897
Huge, er, I mean "Yooge" shoutout to our resident good-guy, WitzyZed for accepting my plea (on bended knees, I might add) for someone to update my player with JK's Kernel. Super fast turnaround and I am now in love with my player once again!!!

Shoutout shared with JK as well. The only "kernels" I'm familiar with are the type that get stuck in my teeth whilst eating an ear of corn.

Oh yeah, this "kernel" as well! LOL

https://crooksandliars.com/2019/07/steve-king-gets-punked-twitter

This place rocks!!!!

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #15,179 of 15,897
Pretty fair price differential, plus only one card slot. Hope it works out for you!

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #15,180 of 15,897
I customized a 3d printed phone stand to fit my new fiio m11 and find it works also for the X5III. It holds the player securely and allows access to the bottom of the player. i am pleased how sturdy and functional it is. Anyway, if you can get at a printer the file is free. Maybe someone will find it useful. more info and download here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3725259

1.jpg 3.jpg

Aaa, my favorite DMB .. I wanted to throw out this stand for my smartphone first, not one output was usable. But both Gonemad and UAPP have a solution, Gonemad a little more sophisticated
Definitely less heat than when it is on the back at these summer temperatures

Users who are viewing this thread

Back