Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 28, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #14,761 of 15,899
EDIT - never mind, went back to Witzyzed instructions and that cleared it up for me.

Finally decided to install the jkbuha and I'm lost right at the start. The Android Tool "No found Any devices". I've go the USB 4.47 drivers installed. What mode does the X5 have to be in? Help.

A few weeks ago on my first try I also had this exact issue and didn't persist. Had the latest USB drivers too. Maybe there's a solution.

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #14,763 of 15,899
I always get it when something is playing from 1 card and I try to pick something from the second card, bang app crashes then restarts

I get the FiiO music exception when merely trying to advance songs too fast, too fast as in typing as quickly as one would on any touch screen cell phone, !bam exception occurs FiiO music crashes and restarts, this is a hallmark of FiiO music, learn to love it, cuz they ain't fixing it !

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #14,764 of 15,899
Proud owner of a new FiiO music glitch, loud click when advancing tracks and all songs play in a much lower volume than the actual setting. Reboot and its fixed, I'm proud of you FiiO, keeping things spicy, freah, and new in our relationship. Still running 1.2.0 and Fidelizer, considering messing w the kernal as posted here on the forum, to keep me on my toes:wink:

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #14,765 of 15,899
Hard to believe that after nearly 1,000 pages about this, people are still hanging on and trying to polish this turd. Even harder to believe that I'm one of said hangers-on!!! :) It's getting to be like trying to save a bad marriage for the children's sake, or like still trying to train a dog that just refuses to stop peeing in the house. In my case, it's the fact that I was an early adopter (meaning I plunked down $400 when it first came out).

upload_2019-3-29_8-44-38.jpeg

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #14,766 of 15,899
Hard to believe that after nearly 1,000 pages about this, people are still hanging on and trying to polish this turd. Even harder to believe that I'm one of said hangers-on!!! :) It's getting to be like trying to save a bad marriage for the children's sake, or like still trying to train a dog that just refuses to stop peeing in the house. In my case, it's the fact that I was an early adopter (meaning I plunked down $400 when it first came out).

i am also one of the first adopters, trying to look past the faults, but thanks to jkbuha who really helped this thread and owners and breathed life into our x5iiis. still it sounds good.

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #14,767 of 15,899
i am also one of the first adopters, trying to look past the faults, but thanks to jkbuha who really helped this thread and owners and breathed life into our x5iiis. still it sounds good.
Granted I haven't tried very hard, but I'm somewhat tech challenged, so I still need to pursue JK's solution. I tried a couple of times the other day with instructions recently posted, but I can't seem to get the device into Boot Loader mode while connected to my PC.

On the other hand, the device basically works well enough for me. Yes, the touch screen is slow and the battery life is poopy, but I really only use it at my desktop station, so it's always charging. My whinging is not to be taken seriously!!!

And even though I'm not yet reaping the bennies, I should give a shout out to jkbuha, and to WitzyZed for trying to help this old head!!!!

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #14,768 of 15,899
Ignore all this, I did both steps of the most recent directions and finally have it working.!

Dear Head-Fi community,

Version 2.7
New: Redesigned Busybox installer
New: Redesigned Permissive SE Linux installer
New: Kernel version now displayed in settings
Fix: Corrections to anyone who was not seeing the msg "Kernel optimisation Ready" prompt
I don't see the "Kernel optimisation Ready" prompt. I know that TWRP is loaded as I can get to it and it opens, not sure what to do with it.
I also see in settings that is says Kernal 3. don't recall exactly what it said. Not sure why 3 if I was installing 2.8 ? Also note in the log file I tried to interpret that it mentions Busybox and some other files not loading because they can't be found. Not really sure as I don't really know anything about Android.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #14,769 of 15,899
Ignore all this, I did both steps of the most recent directions and finally have it working.!

I don't see the "Kernel optimisation Ready" prompt. I know that TWRP is loaded as I can get to it and it opens, not sure what to do with it.
I also see in settings that is says Kernal 3. don't recall exactly what it said. Not sure why 3 if I was installing 2.8 ? Also note in the log file I tried to interpret that it mentions Busybox and some other files not loading because they can't be found. Not really sure as I don't really know anything about Android.

Thanks

This is a nomenclature that Android gives, and you're right - it is a bit misleading.

You're (successfully) running my kernel version 2.8, which is based on Android 5.1.1, which in turn is based on Linux version 3.0.101. Eventually, I'll try and align version numbers myself to make things slightly easier, but for now, bear with me - version numbering isn't high on my to-do list at the moment...

Mar 30, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #14,770 of 15,899

It sucks that you ate still having loads of issues. I hate ti be that guy, but mine is awesome. Thanks to all the hard work from jkbuha. I was going to purchase something else them Fiio upgrades the UI, and that was it for me. Then came across jkbuha's work and my X5 works just fine. It does maybe freeze up but that's once a week, I use mine every day travelling to and from work. So it's on 24hrs 7 days, with a mojo or what I prefer at the moment the little bear. My Note 9 freezes, my laptop freezes. I have seen expensive players freeze on YouTube. Sound wise she still performs better than most considering her age! Plus 2 ad card slots. I have 400gb x 2. She can only get better from here on. Just my 2 cents.

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #14,771 of 15,899
Cool, glad it's working out for you. Like I said, none of my griping should be measured with more than 1/2 grains of salt. For my purposes, it works okay (also with two fully loaded 400GB cards). One of these days, I'll put aside some time to really concentrate on deploying JK's solution.

In the meantime, I also have a Pioneer XDP-100 (2, actually), that perform like champs!

If the day should occur in my lifetime when 2TB cards are affordable, I'll be able to pare down to a single device! :)

Mar 30, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #14,772 of 15,899
It sucks that you ate still having loads of issues. I hate ti be that guy, but mine is awesome. Thanks to all the hard work from jkbuha. I was going to purchase something else them Fiio upgrades the UI, and that was it for me. Then came across jkbuha's work and my X5 works just fine. It does maybe freeze up but that's once a week, I use mine every day travelling to and from work. So it's on 24hrs 7 days, with a mojo or what I prefer at the moment the little bear. My Note 9 freezes, my laptop freezes. I have seen expensive players freeze on YouTube. Sound wise she still performs better than most considering her age! Plus 2 ad card slots. I have 400gb x 2. She can only get better from here on. Just my 2 cents.

When I first purchased my X5iii, it was after selling my previous model X5 and I underwent some growing pains. At one point, I sold it and purchased the Onkyo top of the line player - i hated it. I think it was due to the sabre dac's - it was just too harsh and digital sounding. It also has a lot of initial growing pains. But being a long time builder and listener of tube gear, I just couldn't get past the very obvious digital sound. I returned it and after listening to alot of other DAPs - including some costing 2-3 times a much, I purchased another X5iii. I just simply love it... and have overcome most all of my original issues. I have not and probably will not upgrade to the latest firmware because I really like the Viper effects - especially the tube sound option and the fine tuning modules. I am currently using it with two 256Gb cards and am going to upgrade to two 512Gb cards as soon as someone can verify and posts that they will work with the unit. About 80% of all my files are FLAC with the remainder being VBR WMA's. I simply think the WMA format sounds better than MP3. Just for reference sake, my main listening system consists of a highly tweaked and modified rare Dynaco PAS4 tube preamp feeding two custom built Consonance 100w per channel tube amps and two Rotel solid state amps - bi-amped configuration - tubes on mids and highs / solid state driving the woofers. Speakers are 4 modified Paradigm Studio 40's in a stacked configuration with two Paradigm Sub-Monitor 10 subwoofers (10' is still the best for music) or for private listening, a pair of Stax Electrostat headphones. Three main sources are a Technics SL-P999 quad 20 bit DAC CD player, custom turntable with Mayware Arm and Audio Techinca ART9 MC cartridge and a Logitech Squeezebox controlling a 4TB hard drive music server and feeding a custom built DAC.

With the Fiio X5, I am using either a pair of One Triple Play 3 driver IEM's and a pair of balanced Fiio F9Pro's. The Triple plays have to be one of the classic bargains for performance/cost an the F9's - are simply there for the music. You don't really hear them at all - just the smooth silky music.

The only real problem I ever had with the X5 was the ability to get it to display all of my cover art. That problem disappeared once I figured out the right format. The solution: remove all embedded cover art in the individual files and have a single "Folder.jpg" file for each album. Cover art is in 400x400 format. Folder structure is individual folders for each album in an artist folder. All album titles in the individual files (ID3 Tags) is "year - artist" so that all albums are listed in chronological order based on release dates. Even compilation albums such as the "Time-Life" collections display the main album art for each disc and then the individual different album art for each track.

I've never had an issue with battery life as I have never listened for more than 4 or 5 hours at a time and I can get 2-3 listening sessions out of a charge.

Bottom line: I have not yet heard a better sounding player for less than 3 times the price - and at some point - those subtle differences just are not worth the difference. Do I wish Fiio would be a bit more responsive to requests for software changes - YES. They make a very well engineered and physically sound product... now they just need to bolster their software offerings. The player is hard to beat for a simply pure "listen to the music" scenario.

Now... if someone can just confirm that it works with the new Sansung and PNY 512GB cards, I'll be expanding my music collection for on the go.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #14,773 of 15,899
First step for copying music to SD card is checking in free software Mp3tag (is also a year for Mac OS X). Menu-View-Extended Tags and eliminate all tags except those in the image (Replaigain tags are not necessarily, but how does Replaigain work in the player without them)? The second excellent free soft for editing, correcting and resizing Folder.jpg is Faststone Viewer. Also improve sometimes miserable packages from the Internet. I use a resolution of max 1025x1025, but 500x500 is the right one for DAP display. No .png, .jpeg, .bmp formats. To check the scan media again. If it scrubs, clean it up again. I used Mp3tag multiple times to clean more than 12000 songs and never failed.
The fewer lossless formats, the less problems. Flac and dsf, or ogg with q 9-10 and dsf.

Mp3tag.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #14,774 of 15,899
Kid3 on Mac does the job nicely for verifying album artwork and tags. I’ve never resorted to folder jpg’s, either. 7,000+ songs and none are missing artwork.

Does faststone viewer work for just editing the artwork or does it work for modifying embedded artwork sizes?

*edit* nvm that last question

Mar 30, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #14,775 of 15,899
Unfortunately, the FastStone viewer is not able to edit images in songs. Flashes massively formats and sizes and names, but only from one directory. At least I haven't figured out how to handle subdirectories. The only software that automatically resized and added photo albums is CueTools. Excellent for extracting songs from iso (ape, vw, flac, opus etc) according to the cue information, it converts to the selected format in one batch. But only from iso. It's windows soft but goes under Linux through wine, even under Mac OS through CrossOver.
Looks like antiquity from Windows 95 but works at 100%.

Edit :
FastStone Viewer automatically crawls all subdirectories and automatically searches all .jpg files !! It's great ... and free

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back