Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 14, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #14,656 of 15,899
Hi Sorry to be a pest just hoping to find a way to move forward with some of my issues :) :

what ever came of the ability to sort by "album artist" with the fiio music player??
it's like i'm an album person, from start to finish. i would really love to be able to browse by album artist but i can't because the results under a given artists' name is not always the full album.
folder view sure, it's set up exactly how i archive my music - but visually it's bad. i hardly see any of the cover art i bothered to gather and save (only see it when looking at the track that is playing).
what's worse is that i can barely read the album titles because the screen only fits a few characters. most of my folders are artist - album name (year)[format]{catalog} and that doesn't even come close to fitting on the screen.
Any ideas here? Do i need to ditch pure music? I remember reading awhile back that by doing so I wouldn't be taking advantage of the fiio circuitry etc that makes this such a nice sounding player to begin with?

Also -
I loaded my 2nd 400gb card and now I have around 600Gb of music between the two. Scanned it played a few songs yay.
Only I think I have an issue. There are a number of albums I'm missing under a given artist's name. This could be a problem elsewhere but it was easy to identify with this artist because I have around 30 albums but only 4 are showing up??!?!?
I know the tunes were scanned because I can find them in album/song view. Artist listed when I navigate that way is the correct - so why am I not seeing these under artist view?

Thanks as always!

Mar 14, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #14,657 of 15,899
I don't remember the history of your problem, ElKabong, but I would recommend you install kernel adiutor so you can see where the CPU speed is going down to, and if it's coinciding with your audio drop outs. By default the kernel is allowed to slow the CPU down to 312 MHz.

I have not messed with it today, been busy, it's the second time jetaudio went to pause, and the first time the fiio music app went into a coma. I will check out the program you refer to, whether i know what the heck it's telling me is another story. Thanks for the advice.

Mar 14, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #14,658 of 15,899
Hi Sorry to be a pest just hoping to find a way to move forward with some of my issues :)

[This is a rant of a post I apologize]

The official response on Album Artist views in FiiO Music has always been "we will talk to our engineers about the feasibility of this feature" and it never has been implemented. If you want viewing by album artist (in grid or list view) then I'd switch to USB Audio Player Pro. It does use the full potential of the chipset.

but YES text size and spacing in FiiO Music is how should I say it..

wack.jpg

There is no option even for a list view of albums as there was in FiiO Music 3.4.3. In that I could at least have a chance to view full album titles.
But in that alphabetizing was all screwy (Luckily the alphabetizing is much better in 1.0.8 & 1.0.9).
Why is there seemingly an option to sort by Filename AND First letter ?
Completely redundant and this doesn't ever change any ordering of the lists.
If you change the ordering to go from Z->A notice how the slider on the right never even switches its order accordingly. This should just be left blank with no lettering or just removed so there is more room for text!

Here's just an example...

This album's title is Compiler Optimization Techniques .

But you'd never know that in Album view.
We take up valuable screen real estate with '# songs in total'
All this does is add clutter and doesn't help me navigate.
I think the grids ought to be 2x2 with more space for art and text.
Screenshot_2019-02-03-17-35-22.png

Here there is still plenty of empty space for the title.
But yup! It's cut off.
This is still a fine place for the total number of songs to be displayed.
Get it off the album view and leave it here where there's actual room.
Screenshot_2019-02-03-17-35-32.png

Oh but NOW we have space to cram the full title in...
Screenshot_2019-02-03-17-40-07.png

A few other nitpicks..since I've gone this far.

Try adding items to a playlist like favorites, and if I select an artist (with say only one album on my device by them) and add the ARTIST to my favorites playlist, all the songs are added to favorites in Alphabetical, not Track, order. If I do the same thing but add the ALBUM to my favorites playlist, the songs are added to favorites in Track order.

Wack.

Also 24bit 96kHz files and above are the only files that trigger the yellow HR tag next to their songs.
24bit 88.2kHz, 24bit 48kHz, 24bit 44.1kHz do not, they receive purple SQ tags.

ReplayGain too is wonky. You can't set it once and forget. You switch it on and confirm, listen some, maybe reboot your device?
If you start playing music then go back to ReplayGain and hit confirm again you can hear it drop the volume. Why does it need me to reconfirm every time?

Babysteps, I suppose. We're getting there!

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #14,659 of 15,899
The X5iii is by my bed, not my main DAC right now, but will use it to listen to music before bed. I have to say, with the latest FW, Jkbuha kernel, rooting, and Titanium Backup to freeze system applications it is stable. I have to say though, regular folks should not be doing this to get a stable system.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #14,660 of 15,899
The X5iii is by my bed, not my main DAC right now, but will use it to listen to music before bed. I have to say, with the latest FW, Jkbuha kernel, rooting, and Titanium Backup to freeze system applications it is stable. I have to say though, regular folks should not be doing this to get an stable system.
Exactly. I'm tired of spending lots of time making things run smoothly. I just want to use the device to listen to music. I turn on my home stereo, fire up MediaMonkey on the computer and listen to music. The Fiio experience should be similar.

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #14,661 of 15,899
Like buying your first burner vehicle, needing constant repairs, you just might end up learning a fair bit about how the darn thing works in the process, I find, haha.

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #14,662 of 15,899
In response to Brick42's last comment: This may not be to everyone's liking, but a suggestion would be exclusively use Folder Play. Works for me all the time; no missing music!!!!

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #14,663 of 15,899
"...regular folks should not be doing this...

Are you referring to those who wear a tennis shoe or an occasional python boot???

:) :) :)

Mar 15, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #14,664 of 15,899
Updated to the latest firmware in the hope that the pause button would stop stuttering, here's what I got instead (yes, did a factory reset after the update)

1) Pause will pause a track. If I leave the machine alone for a little bit, pause will then play a second of the track and that's it. Have to screen on and unpause that way. And by 'that way' I mean press the onscreen pause button MANY times and finally give up, go back into folder view, find the file and click it again.

2) Skip buttons now not working at all, ever.

3) Turning the machine off and then back on, it has no idea which track I was playing. I start fresh every time. SUPER annoying.

4) The volume wheel is mental (as it was before the update) I can't even be bothered to describe the behaviour. Unusably ridiculous.

5) UI seems to lag even more than before.

I'm still a Fiio fan and I still like the X5iii but I find myself now in the same boat as the salty posters in here. I'll step back a couple of FW versions and hope that fixes the issue and then I guess I'll just stay there.
Capable player which ticks A LOT of boxes for me, but this FW has been disastrous!

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #14,665 of 15,899
WitzyZed - thx for the detailed answer. Pretty dang frustrating i would think adding an option to read album artist would be so simple but i'm a layman.
I do remember that app being mentioned thank you for the reminder. I've actually read and skimmed through this entire f'n thread lol but the bulk of it was awhile ago so i forget if there were also other apps mentioned in that respect (preserving what the unit has to offer in sound fidelity)

Are you referring to those who wear a tennis shoe or an occasional python boot???

:) :) :)

Well you know I at least know that reference :wink:
I did mention folder view in my post. I would deal if I had to but this is where I can't read a bunch of album titles. Namely all of my phish most are a blind guess as to what show i could be tapping. I can't go changing folder names etc just because of fiio's shortfall.

So yeah I guess i should at least explore a different app to see what else is out there.

Count me in with - HEY FIIO PLEASE ADD SORT BY ALBUM ARTIST and PLEASE ALLOW FOR SMALLER TEXT SIZE/BETTER FITTING ON THE VARIOUS SCREENS

thx all :)

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #14,666 of 15,899
Follow-up for anyone following the drama of my bursting battery issue. FiiO is now in touch with me and we are hashing out the details on getting a replacement battery shipped here. They say the cost is $20 (USD) shipped which I think is perfectly reasonable.

In the meantime, it may interest you to know that -- having removed the damaged battery from the unit -- I find that when attached to a power source such as the K5 dock, the x5III will actually boot up as normal and function without a battery installed at all. That takes a little bit of the edge off... even if it's not very portable at the moment (yeah, I could attach it to an external battery pack), it works.

Glad to hear that you got things sorted out. Interestingly, reading about your swelling battery prompted me to take a look at my own X5III and, sure enough, the back plate is showing signs of bulging like my battery is in the early stages of swelling. Sadly, I don't have any pentalobe screwdrivers on hand to pull the battery right away but I'll be picking some up after work.

What contact method finally worked for you as far as getting in touch with Fiio? Did you reach out to them via their support website or did you just PM Fiio here on Head-fi?

Mar 15, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #14,667 of 15,899
Glad to hear that you got things sorted out. Interestingly, reading about your swelling battery prompted me to take a look at my own X5III and, sure enough, the back plate is showing signs of bulging like my battery is in the early stages of swelling. Sadly, I don't have any pentalobe screwdrivers on hand to pull the battery right away but I'll be picking some up after work.

What contact method finally worked for you as far as getting in touch with Fiio? Did you reach out to them via their support website or did you just PM Fiio here on Head-fi?

I wound up getting in touch with them via PM here; the customer service rep handling my case said that my e-mail to the supportATfiioDOTcom address had wound up in their spam filters. Wonder why plain old e-mails from my Gmail account would have triggered such a thing... but hey. YMMV.

Mine wasn't showing any signs up until immediately following the last FW update and then it swelled so much and so quickly that I looked away for a few minutes and when I looked back instead of normal, half the back was dislodged. I immediately pried the top free to ease the pressure, as I was afraid the back plate itself would warp or snap.

In any event, the disassembly was basically just the two pentalobe screws at the bottom: the expanding battery did much of the work of detaching the back without much need for a spudger or a credit card. Once you get the back off, it's just a single philips-head screw to remove the plate that holds the battery connector to the board. Then comes the toughest part: separating the battery from the mesh tape and especially the back of the unit. I strongly suggest you do this in the great outdoors if at all possible: it's almost impossible to free the thing without tearing the battery pack and venting the gases. Use MUCH care and perhaps an old credit card or spudging tool to free the adhesive. I'm still awaiting the replacement battery, but it has been shipped at this point so it's only a matter of time. You CAN power it on if attached to a power supply without the battery but be warned: (if you're using it) the replacement kernel seems to not like that situation at all and causes the unit to freeze within a minute of booting in that condition. Just to ensure things were functioning properly, I wound up using the official firmware tool, upgraded back to the latest stock FW and reinstalled TWRP and root afterwards.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #14,668 of 15,899
I’m not having much luck with my FiiO and I’m looking for some help.
I keep getting a warning that my memory is low and I have only Installed 2 apps
Hiby music and Spotify. I know memory from sd cards is fine as they are both
Better than half empty.
In Spotify settings I download music in se card 2
Something is not working properly as I can’t dowload more than 300 songs
As it runs out of memory and I suspect it’s flash but am not techie enough to know.
I have reset unit twice and downgraded then upgraded to latest firmware
I have Samsung evil cards that read fine 256 plus 128 and nowhere near full
Can I get someone to walk me through what I’m doing wrong
Thank you
Stewart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back