Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 31, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #13,081 of 15,897
Why would I want to download and add another player? I've read other issues with Foobar and don't want to add to the programs on the DAP. This would also eliminate being able to use the Viper features

Foobar2000 on your PC, not your X5

Apr 1, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #13,089 of 15,897
I've been reading that using UAPP improved the sound of the X5iii.

I'm curious how it "improves", what's the difference sonically?

Take claims like that with a grain of salt. UAPP is a nice app, and communicates directly with the DAC in the X5iii (like Pure Music does). Can't say I've personally noticed anything sonically different. Just different layout. Scanning (from SD card) was pretty slow - Pure Music is much faster scanning on my X5iii. UAPP does allow integration with Google Music, Tidal, Qobuz and Shoutcast - which is pretty cool. Does have gapless and also features like working replay-gain (which is really nice) and has quite a nice cross-feed feature. If you buy (in-app) apparently has a parametric EQ - haven't tried it yet.

Doesn't appear to be any better or worse than Neutron IMO, although some may find the UI a little more intuitive. Nice app.

Sounds better though? - lets just say that if you have all the DSP turned off, how can it? Same files, same DAC, same amp - bit-perfect. So unless there is a DSP running, I call BS.

Apr 1, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #13,090 of 15,897
Take claims like that with a grain of salt. UAPP is a nice app, and communicates directly with the DAC in the X5iii (like Pure Music does). Can't say I've personally noticed anything sonically different. Just different layout. Scanning (from SD card) was pretty slow - Pure Music is much faster scanning on my X5iii. UAPP does allow integration with Google Music, Tidal, Qobuz and Shoutcast - which is pretty cool. Does have gapless and also features like working replay-gain (which is really nice) and has quite a nice cross-feed feature. If you buy (in-app) apparently has a parametric EQ - haven't tried it yet.

Doesn't appear to be any better or worse than Neutron IMO, although some may find the UI a little more intuitive. Nice app.

Sounds better though? - lets just say that if you have all the DSP turned off, how can it? Same files, same DAC, same amp - bit-perfect. So unless there is a DSP running, I call BS.
I'm sceptical about it too. That's why I'm asking those who think it sounds better to share their thoughts. How exactly is it "improved" ?

Apr 1, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #13,091 of 15,897
Without any DSP engaged, I am not sure if I ever heard any difference between apps on any DAP, as long as the app is bit perfect. I can totally see a large difference in GUI and layout and how quick you adapt to different apps, but in sound, without any DSP, it should not be a difference, even at the most theoretical level, the DAC does the decoding, so the app is supposed to send the same stream of data to the DAC, without any kind of DSP enabled.

Apr 1, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #13,092 of 15,897
I'm sceptical about it too. That's why I'm asking those who think it sounds better to share their thoughts. How exactly is it "improved" ?

I'll be interested to hear the answers. Unless you can do a very quick side-by-side comparison with two identical units, volume matched, fast switching - then our auditory memory limitations suggests that any "claim" is going to be anecdotal at best. Ask the ones making the claim if they volume matched, and how long between switches. If they answer "matching by ear" and/or haven't done a direct A/B - you know to ignore them :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #13,093 of 15,897
The one weakness it seems to have (for me) is shuffling all tracks - I have around 450-500 albums, and it does not appear to be shuffling by track (at least not on my unit). For me this is a deal breaker, and I'd naturally choose Neutron because of it.

As to your other question - I'll be interested to hear the answers. Unless you can do a very quick side-by-side comparison with two identical units, volume matched, fast switching - then our auditory memory limitations suggests that any "claim" is going to be anecdotal at best. Ask the ones making the claim if they volume matched, and how long between switches. If they answer "matching by ear" and/or haven't done a direct A/B - you know to ignore them :wink:
I find that brain burn in helps when comparing your own DAP with another DAP, it's easier to notice changes imo. But you really have to be used to the sound (favourite album) and it only works on the first few tracks before you get used to the sound of the other dap.

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #13,094 of 15,897
Solved the issue with the shuffling. It just works differently to the X5iii - does it on the fly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back