Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jan 24, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #12,496 of 15,899
I recently just got an X5 III, loving it so far. Huge improvement over my phone and ancient iPod classic.

One issue I'm having is the buttons are unresponsive in secondary apps. For example, I installed Poweramp because I like the UI better but the skip track buttons don't work. Instead of skipping the song it instead fast forwards through the file at 10x speed. Other programs I've tried don't respond to the buttons at all.

Any solution to this? Thanks
Search is simple at top right of page - here is the answer however https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-dual-card-slot.828402/page-822#post-13939668

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #12,498 of 15,899
I recently just got an X5 III, loving it so far. Huge improvement over my phone and ancient iPod classic.

One issue I'm having is the buttons are unresponsive in secondary apps. For example, I installed Poweramp because I like the UI better but the skip track buttons don't work. Instead of skipping the song it instead fast forwards through the file at 10x speed. Other programs I've tried don't respond to the buttons at all.

Any solution to this? Thanks

I use JetAudio vers 6.4 and it's all ok

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #12,499 of 15,899
internal storage and nand flash, did a thread search but did not find a lot of info. I have always had android phones, but dont believe i have run across nand flash before. google play tells me " your running short on storage" and to delete some apps. internal storage is listed as 453mb available out of 1.96GB. Nand flash shows 26GB with 25GB available. In the settings i see that nand flash can be dismounted.

Questions:
  1. Does nand flash need to be used?
  2. Can it be dismounted safely or resized ?
  3. will it auto resize itself when internal needs more space?
some hits on google search say that nand flash is not used so much on newer devices, but is still found on alot of Chinese tablets and such

Jan 25, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #12,500 of 15,899
Ah again the issue I also discussed in this Google support forum posts with sudofx (sadly I must admit that his pessimistic conclusion prove right till now).

Here is the link - hoping that a smart genius will be able to solve the underlying problem or provide a workaround (thinking of symbolic links, but I don't want to root my x5 iii)!
https://support.google.com/googleplay/forum/AAAA8CVOtD8fjmyHYs59ao/?hl=en

Jan 25, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #12,502 of 15,899
Ah again the issue I also discussed in this Google support forum posts with sudofx (sadly I must admit that his pessimistic conclusion prove right till now).

Here is the link - hoping that a smart genius will be able to solve the underlying problem or provide a workaround (thinking of symbolic links, but I don't want to root my x5 iii)!
https://support.google.com/googleplay/forum/AAAA8CVOtD8fjmyHYs59ao/?hl=en

Thanks for the reply, your link was interesting. Even though it was about different music apps recognizing storage spaces differently on the x5III. In my case it is the whole of google play store that only sees the internal storage as 1.95 GB instead of the whole 26GB which i assume will limit the amount and size of apps that can be installed. I am wondering what good is this Nand flash drive if it is not recognized by some apps or google play store. I have no idea of the Technical reasons for nand flash, but think it would be great if the full 26GB internal drive could be accessed for use by all apps. I also found that if i download music from streaming services, I have had the best of luck with the internal drive (would sometimes loose all my downloads if i selected SD1), but wonder if it is just using the 2GB drive or the full 26

Jan 25, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #12,503 of 15,899
Besides that I was never able to tell Google music to use one of the added SD cards (irrelevant which slot or both filled - not displayed as option) the annoying part also was that the internal memory was nearly instantly "filled" from perspective of the app but OS still displayed 2xGB free.
This is why I felt you have exactly the same issue (doubled by Google music's inability to choose a different download path).

This seems an issue with fiio's implementation of handling the storage ... But I'm no developer.
Nobody in here?

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #12,504 of 15,899
Besides that I was never able to tell Google music to use one of the added SD cards (irrelevant which slot or both filled - not displayed as option) the annoying part also was that the internal memory was nearly instantly "filled" from perspective of the app but OS still displayed 2xGB free.
This is why I felt you have exactly the same issue (doubled by Google music's inability to choose a different download path).

This seems an issue with fiio's implementation of handling the storage ... But I'm no developer.
Nobody in here?

Yes i agree its likely the same issue. In android settings there is a option to unmount nand flash drive. Does anyone know if this is done would it make the space available to the internal drive? does it need the nand to function? I love this player, and easily work around some of its quirks. I use it daily, in the car, connected to headphone amp, standalone, offline streaming downloads, and pure music mode. I also have a Yamaha app on it to control my receiver and sound system. My point is this is not a complaint, just trying to get info on how best to take advantage of its features

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #12,505 of 15,899
Does anyone use USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) with their X5III? I installed UAPP on my FiiO X5 3rd gen (w/1.1.9 fw) and ran it just using internal Android mode (no outboard DAC) and when I try to stream Tidal or play any local file all I get is a hashy 100% digital distortion, like the FiiO just can't process whatever UAPP is sending it.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet in USB to DAC mode (it sounded so good streaming Tidal in my Tegra tablet in internal Android mode that I bought it and figured if it works in its intended mode with one or both machines it'd be icing on the cake).

I'm thinking that it should work in no-DAC mode in the FiiO just using internal Android but my gut tells me there may be an incompatibility of some kind. I think there are others that have gotten the X5III working with UAPP but they're probably using the intended USB to DAC mode.

I don't know what the problem is in my case unless the X5 will simply need to be run in full outboard DAC mode. Any advice appreciated!

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #12,506 of 15,899
Does anyone use USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) with their X5III? I installed UAPP on my FiiO X5 3rd gen (w/1.1.9 fw) and ran it just using internal Android mode (no outboard DAC) and when I try to stream Tidal or play any local file all I get is a hashy 100% digital distortion, like the FiiO just can't process whatever UAPP is sending it.
UAPP > Settings > Force 16-bit

Jan 26, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #12,507 of 15,899
Thanks for the reply, your link was interesting. Even though it was about different music apps recognizing storage spaces differently on the x5III. In my case it is the whole of google play store that only sees the internal storage as 1.95 GB instead of the whole 26GB which i assume will limit the amount and size of apps that can be installed. I am wondering what good is this Nand flash drive if it is not recognized by some apps or google play store. I have no idea of the Technical reasons for nand flash, but think it would be great if the full 26GB internal drive could be accessed for use by all apps. I also found that if i download music from streaming services, I have had the best of luck with the internal drive (would sometimes loose all my downloads if i selected SD1), but wonder if it is just using the 2GB drive or the full 26
I gave up Google Play Music and now using Tidal because of the storage issue.
But about Play Store apps installing on the small 1.95 GB system partition, this is normal. The 26 GB nand flash is treated by Android the same way as a separate SD card, and you should be able to move installed apps only after installing, if the app permits this.
And 2 GB is plenty for apps. You should not install lots of apps as on a phone, only the needed ones for music playing.

Jan 26, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #12,508 of 15,899
that's debatable. as long as you pay for smart hardware and software, these "smart" features should be available as for any android device. otherwise make it as light as possible, not "highly customized" as fiio claims. it's a flaw, a basic one, to offer features that don't work or are unusable. not that it should be overloaded with features and stuff, but at list basic apps should smoothly run. not a single app or feature is. beginning with touchscreen response which is always delayed, to how fast apps start and run, to features that sometimes don't work and i already mentioned in previous posts.
these are some of the many reasons that will probably soon make me give up on it and buy another dap.

Jan 26, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #12,509 of 15,899
I partly agree, in the sense that the apps meant for music should all work. But not that you should install any app that is made for more powerful Android devices and expect it to work as on a flagship smartphone. I'd say keep youtube, fb, games, etc. for your phone, don't bloat this device and expect it to work flawlessly. The hardware resources here are mainly dedicated for dual DAC, AMP and audio chain.

What I'm more concerned with, and I think should be addressed is:

- Solving of problems with all major streaming apps - Tidal, Google Music, Spotify, Deezer, Amazon. Only tried Google Music - unusable, and Tidal - problems with skips and glitching.

- No EQ app in Google Play Store is capable of accessing and working with the DAC, this is a BIG ONE. That means that no player or streaming app that hasn't an integrated EQ can be EQ-ed. I'll say it again - FiiO made Viper Effects available in its FiiO Music app, but it should be a stand-alone system-level implemented feature and should work in any app. Viper Effects has a much better FIREqualizer implementation than own FiiO Music EQ!. You can test and see the differences - IME, FiiO EQ sliders don't reflect the amount of dB changes that are dialed in a particular band. The volume drops too much, and the sound gets muddy. Viper Effecs EQ works as expected. Please make it system-wide!

- FiiO Music app needs to be simplified, more streamlined UI. For example the inclusion of Bluetooth symbol in various places inside Music app is redundant and useless. If I need to turn Bluetooth ON / OFF I have the top Android Settings Slider with direct shortcut.
The BT switches inside Music app should be replaced with something more useful like access to the current track folder.

- WiFi connection signal strength is sometimes poor, and using Bluetooth playback and Wi-Fi streaming at the same time, often results in skips and disconnects.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back