Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Sep 30, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #11,701 of 15,897
Here we go:

You can download TWRP (custom recovery) for FiiO X5-III here.
SuperSU package (root) for installing through TWRP is here.

The guide about using TWRP is here.

If you appreciate my work, you can donate at the website in my sig...
Thank you.
Very Interesting, very good. Though, I got the short end of the stick here.
I have two questions.
1.) Would you be able to port the TWRP recovery menu to the FiiO X7 Gen. 1&2? (I doubt, seeing as you don't own one; but I underestimate your ability!) I installed your .img, but unfortunately it is not compatible with my device.
2.) Would you be able to make a custom ROM pre-rooted and with the ARISE Sound bundle pre-installed (and functional) in the FiiO X5/X7?
https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=176171&sort_by=date&sort_dir=DESC
This is what I mean.
Though, the second question is more directed at the man himself @WindowsX . He's one of the very first people who was able to make a custom ROM for the FiiO X7, albeit a minimalist one, so I assume he's already familiar with how it works, help from him would be amazing. I'm in the Arise telegram group, if you would like to join it, then PM me and I'll be more than happy to oblige! Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #11,702 of 15,897
Anyone have any volume issues?
I'm using the Poweramp alpha, and the volume is generally just right at around 80. I sometimes get up to do something, and when I come back a few minutes later, 80 is way too loud.
I think it might only happen if I unplug/replug my earphones.

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #11,703 of 15,897
Are the issues with the PowerAmp app though? I've never had anything like this with either Neutron or Pure Music.

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #11,704 of 15,897
This is the Problem i have with X5 III except for the Dead pixel on screen.
After installation of Android Apps and Widgets, It get very Slow, So slow that i have to wait 2 minuts until X5 III respond
that is not normal, i checked with a program and CPU free use is very low like under 10%

Also several time something Blacked out the screen, so i had to reboot to get it on again
even on Reboot it was slow.

Now i have restored the X5 III back to Factory settings and will reinstall some programs
this will take time since i have to reinstall android apps but i had to do it
it was so slow

I also got this message before rolling back to factory settings
something about update OTA system YES OR NO
If i clicked NO the message will continue to apear after half an hour or something very anoying could be from a APP
was not able to disable it.

If i clicked yes it took forever like it was going to take several hours to download the update so i canceled it

If someone know where i can disable OTA update message from promping , could not find it in setting
anyway i know restored it back to factory settings so lets hope message wont show up again.

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #11,705 of 15,897
This is the Problem i have with X5 III except for the Dead pixel on screen.
After installation of Android Apps and Widgets, It get very Slow, So slow that i have to wait 2 minuts until X5 III respond
that is not normal, i checked with a program and CPU free use is very low like under 10%

Also several time something Blacked out the screen, so i had to reboot to get it on again
even on Reboot it was slow.

Now i have restored the X5 III back to Factory settings and will reinstall some programs
this will take time since i have to reinstall android apps but i had to do it
it was so slow

I also got this message before rolling back to factory settings
something about update OTA system YES OR NO
If i clicked NO the message will continue to apear after half an hour or something very anoying could be from a APP
was not able to disable it.

If i clicked yes it took forever like it was going to take several hours to download the update so i canceled it

If someone know where i can disable OTA update message from promping , could not find it in setting
anyway i know restored it back to factory settings so lets hope message wont show up again.
Just turn off your wifi to prevent the prompt from appearing? Or alternatively you could update via a computer instead. It's much faster to download via Fiio directly (at least for me)

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #11,706 of 15,897
This is very bad i have just rolled back to factory settings
and have not installed many Android app
when suddenly Google android play store is slow and freezes on me

Then suddenly i get the Do you want to update OTA settings message again
if i click yes it say it take 5 hours to download

Update:
After disabling smart keyboard pro on X5 III (is a program to theme the virtual keyboard)
it goes fast again, maybe this app is a bit heavy

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #11,707 of 15,897
And that is why its a good idea not to immediately expect the issues lie with FiiO. Can I suggest - if you're using this as a "DAP" - to only install music related apps, and only the ones you're likely to use all the time. The X5iii isn't a smart-phone. It doesn't have 2-4Gb of Ram or an octa-core processor. Its primary role is as a music player or a DAC for a computer.

Also - if the OTA updates a re slow, just download the latest fw and install it manually. You'll stop getting the messages + you'll have the latest firmware. Win-win.

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #11,708 of 15,897
Great news!!
After some more time to play with, I need to add, that there are issues, when you're not patient enough.
My standard way to play music is with folders. I have around 5'000 albums and play them usually in the folder mode. That works like a charm ...
But, if you like to shuffle or search for a specific title, you're in trouble.
I guess, the processor of FiiO X5 is simple not performant enough to do this tasks in a way, that it is useful.
The initial scan in FiiO Player took about 10 minutes, PowerAmp roughly half an hour.
So, if you want to use seamlessly all functions when playing music, the 400GB microSDcard is not the right storage solution.
For me it works, I can go to an artist folder, chose the album and play it ...
That's how I use FiiO X5 ...

Screenshot_2017-09-30-10-59-55.png Screenshot_2017-10-01-09-20-29.pngScreenshot_2017-10-01-10-15-23.png

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #11,709 of 15,897
And that is why its a good idea not to immediately expect the issues lie with FiiO. Can I suggest - if you're using this as a "DAP" - to only install music related apps, and only the ones you're likely to use all the time. The X5iii isn't a smart-phone. It doesn't have 2-4Gb of Ram or an octa-core processor. Its primary role is as a music player or a DAC for a computer.

Also - if the OTA updates a re slow, just download the latest fw and install it manually. You'll stop getting the messages + you'll have the latest firmware. Win-win.

I completely agree! It's a DAP running on Android. Yes that gives you the ability to install ANY Android app, but why would you?

Just because something is capable of doing something doesn't mean you should do it.

Having said this, I want to emphasize how awesome the X5iii being Android based is. It can do ANYTHING your phone does. So if you are in a pickle and you need one of the cool Android features it can do that, yet THAT experience will be far less satisfying than your phone.

But that's why you got it! Because your phone's audio performance was lacking.

Android phone:
Android experience = fantastic
Music ability = yeah, it can play music.

Fiio x5iii:
Android experience = most features are possible but due to RAM + CPU not that great.
Music ability = WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 1, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #11,710 of 15,897
This is very bad i have just rolled back to factory settings
and have not installed many Android app
when suddenly Google android play store is slow and freezes on me

Then suddenly i get the Do you want to update OTA settings message again
if i click yes it say it take 5 hours to download

Update:
After disabling smart keyboard pro on X5 III (is a program to theme the virtual keyboard)
it goes fast again, maybe this app is a bit heavy

Brooko is absolutely right, the X5III was never designed to be run as a modern Android Tablet, therefore, please don't expect the X5III to run as a modern Android Tablet nor unfairly judge it because it cannot.

My phone the Note 3 is many generations old and is no longer supported by Samsung, however, compared to the X5III in terms of Android ability it is many generations ahead of the X5III because it was designed to run a heavy Android environment.

Android is used within the X5III to provide you with a more recognisable and useable user interface. Android allows you to run your favourite music app if you do not want to run Pure Music, but please remember, the X5III was never intended for multiple apps, players, themes or sytem overlays, it simply does not have the CPU nor the RAM to cope with this.

Edit: Typo

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #11,711 of 15,897
I have this problem when little battery left i put it on charge but i get a head-up notification (in top)
that say battery is low turn on battery savings.
How can i disable this message?

I checked under battery and setttings but i am not able to disable it
it pop up every 10 seconds, that i want to fix

I am able to hide it with Notifierpro head-up then it only flash a icon in topbar
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nlucas.notificationtoasterlite

There should be a place somewhere to disable it, i tried for several hours but could not find it.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #11,712 of 15,897
I have this problem when little battery left i put it on charge but i get a head-up notification (in top)
that say battery is low turn on battery savings.
How can i disable this message?

I checked under battery and setttings but i am not able to disable it
it pop up every 10 seconds, that i want to fix

I am able to hide it with Notifierpro head-up then it only flash a icon in topbar
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nlucas.notificationtoasterlite

There should be a place somewhere to disable it, i tried for several hours but could not find it.

Unfortunately that is an Android feature but the following solution might work: (please give feedback if it does)

"When your phone is on battery saver, long press the low battery notification till it shows the info symbol( the app is System UI ). Click the info button and then turn off “Allow Peeking”. This should stop the notification from popping up.

Note it will stop other system notifications from peeking ( it will show up on notification but not as a pop up ).

I think the vibration can be turned off in setting > sounds > other sounds > charging sound."

Oct 1, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #11,713 of 15,897
I accept that it was my fault for being such a Clutz, but I almost lost one of the SD Trays today. I took it out to add some music and got distracted so causing me to forget that I had it on my lap (stupid). I went to get a drink and it fell under the furniture, I spent half an hour in a panic trashing the room trying to find it.

Please @FiiO sell them as spair parts I believe that I will need them soon with my memory.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #11,715 of 15,897
I do regret buying this DAP for the many problems it has (can't stream without hiccups after 3-4 songs using either google play, tidal or jriver jremote, also hiccups on pure music mode reading from SD). Saving up for a Sony.... I don't think I'll ever go back to Fiio...
> also hiccups on pure music mode reading from SD
even on last firmware?
oh my...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back