Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Sep 30, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #11,687 of 15,897
So far more stable. I still can not pause fore a minute or more with the screen off. I tried about every setting I can think of and 4 different fiio ear buds,Oppo and B&W headphones. Is this a old issue?

Sep 30, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #11,688 of 15,897
I am glad to hear that. It seems like this one has taken care of many of the things that people had problems with.
Now if I ever get the thing down.

I know there was talk about this much earlier in the thread, but the download speed is back to below crappy. 66 to 160 KB/s
They did something about their bandwidth and I was getting 2 MB/s for a couple of these. Under 5 minutes for the download. This is going to take close to 45 minutes and 12% of the battery. Last update was about the same.
I have a 50 Mb/s pipe here too.

Next time I will have to just download it and do it locally.
I am so darn impatient...
Just use the internet browser and download it directly from the Fiio web to the downloads folder. It takes one minute at continuous 2.2mb/s

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #11,689 of 15,897
So far more stable. I still can not pause fore a minute or more with the screen off. I tried about every setting I can think of and 4 different fiio ear buds,Oppo and B&W headphones. Is this a old issue?

I have this problem too, even with the latest firmware. If I pause playback using the inline control on any earbuds, after 30 seconds I cannot resume playback with the earbud control. The hardware button on the device works perfect every time. This is only with the screen off and on battery. If I am plugged into power, play and pause work perfect with screen off through the inline earbud control. I still like this player immensely and it has become my go-to device for daily music and podcast listening.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #11,690 of 15,897
What follows is purely speculation!

I'd take a wild guess that on-cable controls stop working after a pause because X5 turns off the output stage after a while when the music isn't playing. I've thought before that the popping sound I hear when starting playback after a longer pause was produced by the digital buffer being filled up, but this theory fits better. I'm not sure if you'd want to keep the amp/whatever combination of elements is considered the output unit there to be powered on all the time however, since that drains not an insignificant amount of power, thus draining battery even in standby. I wouldn't mind having a way to control it with software though.

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #11,691 of 15,897
I am glad to hear that. It seems like this one has taken care of many of the things that people had problems with.
Now if I ever get the thing down.

I know there was talk about this much earlier in the thread, but the download speed is back to below crappy. 66 to 160 KB/s
They did something about their bandwidth and I was getting 2 MB/s for a couple of these. Under 5 minutes for the download. This is going to take close to 45 minutes and 12% of the battery. Last update was about the same.
I have a 50 Mb/s pipe here too.

Next time I will have to just download it and do it locally.
I am so darn impatient...

FWIW I have just tried the ota download and the best speed realised was up to 41kps!! I cancelled the update and coincidentally received notification of an Apple Music update, which I accepted, and the speed here reached 9.47mb/s. What a difference.

Decided to download the file to laptop but cannot access Fiio website at the moment. Hopefully, these issues will be rectified soon. Suggest anyone else looking to update their firmware waits a few hours!

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #11,693 of 15,897
it did take me a couple of hours to update OTA this time

Yes, I was looking at a couple of hours too. I think Fiio are aware of the ota speeds this time and are looking for feedback on the transfer speed of the FW file downloaded from their website to computer, so will try again later and post accordingly.

Edit: Have just downloaded the zip file from Fiio's website this evening which took around forty seconds.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #11,694 of 15,897
OTA was slow for me as well. However I started it left for an hour and everything was done when I got back, so all good. It indicated that it would take about 40 minutes to finished based on download speed. I remember when it was first fixed the entire download was less about a minute.

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #11,695 of 15,897
Thanks for indicating, we will report to our engineer again about that. Sorry.
Best regards

If I may shed some light... in my case it seems to be exacerbated by the physical location of the file... files from external sd1 are alphabetized properly but files from external sd2 are alphabetized and then appended to the list. For example, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, The Who (all on sd1) might be then followed by The Doors, The Rolling Stones (from sd2). Never mind the fact that leading words "The" or "A" should be ignored when alphabetizing, generally, but I'm sure you've already been made aware of that!

Steve

Sep 30, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #11,696 of 15,897
What follows is purely speculation!

I'd take a wild guess that on-cable controls stop working after a pause because X5 turns off the output stage after a while when the music isn't playing. I've thought before that the popping sound I hear when starting playback after a longer pause was produced by the digital buffer being filled up, but this theory fits better. I'm not sure if you'd want to keep the amp/whatever combination of elements is considered the output unit there to be powered on all the time however, since that drains not an insignificant amount of power, thus draining battery even in standby. I wouldn't mind having a way to control it with software though.

That is an interesting hypothesis. if that is true, it would explain why no firmware updates have addressed it. I can certainly live with it. It just would be nice if it worked like my phone with complete control through the inline earbud buttons. The latest firmware is a definite improvement over the last one. It looks like Fiio fixed most everything that was broken by 1.1.7.

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #11,697 of 15,897
Anyone experiencing a slightly higher operating temperature after updating to FW 1.1.8? Somehow (beats logic) things sound opened up as someone earlier quipped. I wonder if that's just placebo?

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #11,698 of 15,897
Hi
I just installed the new firmware with automatic updates. After rebooting I cannot launch the music app anymore: I have error message "an exception occurs application will exit"
I tried to reboot again, also tried pure music and android mode, issue still there!
@FiiO how can I solve this issue?
I am on vacation and cannot access any computer so cannot select a former firmware manually update...

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #11,699 of 15,897
Hi
I just installed the new firmware with automatic updates. After rebooting I cannot launch the music app anymore: I have error message "an exception occurs application will exit"
I tried to reboot again, also tried pure music and android mode, issue still there!
@FiiO how can I solve this issue?
I am on vacation and cannot access any computer so cannot select a former firmware manually update...
I suggest you perform a factory reset. That should bring everything back to normal i reckon.

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #11,700 of 15,897
OK will try that. In the meantime I have installed neutron, let's take it as opportunity to try something else. It is scanning my music now. I am positively surprised by the number of settings in this application. I see there is another on écailles neutron code, what is the difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back