Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Sep 21, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #11,446 of 15,897
After having been supportive and patient about this DAP for months i decided to sell mine, and to move on. I'm unhappy about a Fiio product for the first time, and even if i kept hope that the situation would improve in time i have to surrender now. I need a DAP who doesn't crash several times a day, i need a DAP who isn't sluggish to use, i need a DAP that would resume without crashing when i pause it for some time, i need a DAP with a balanced output that doesn't hiss so much, i need a DAP who can handle reasonably big libraries, i need a DAP i can rely on, and the X5 III failed in too many aspects (and i forgot to mention the poor wifi chip).

I know Fiio you did your best in trying to improve the situation, but there was too much to do and there is still so much to do, some you will fix, and some you can't fix (hardware related), i wish you the best and hope you'll end up making this device stable. I also hope you'll learn the lesson and don't release an unfinished product anymore (oh yes hardware is nothing without good software).

I don't really blame you, you're still a young company, and i know you'll improve in time, but for now you're not up to the task yet. Thanks for the good communication and support you provided though.

bye bye X5 III !

Sorry to hear that your experiences with the X5III have been so poor. I truly hope that you find a player that suits your needs and works well.

As for me, I use my X5III every day (usually docked in a K5) for 8+ hrs a day. Most days I stay in Pure Music mode and listen to my collection (~1500 tracks -- predominantly .flac with just a smattering of .mp3) via a pair of Bluetooth headphones. I can count the number of times that the Fiio Music player has crashed on me on the fingers of one hand and still have 4 fingers left over. I don't find the interface to be sluggish in the least (although I admit that my collection is small by all standards).

When I switch to Android mode to stream music from Spotify or Google Play Music, my experience is similarly crash- and lag-free. Yes, I have experienced the dreaded deletion of downloaded Spotify music and I hope that this gets sorted out some day (but I think that's Spotify's problem not Fiio's). Other than that, no real issues.

I don't deny that others are having issues with this player and I truly hope that their problems can be sorted out. But for me, this player has been a joy to own and use from the first day I received it back in March and I still heartily recommend it to anyone who asks (for what little my opinion is worth).

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #11,447 of 15,897
The only thing about the X5iii I still don't like is the awful way it handles albums with Various Artists. FIX that and I will be a happy camper. Tired of having to retag music to fit into that odd handling.

There still seems to be a few niggles & a few hard problems that are stopping Fiio from making lots of people totally happy. I wonder what the next FW will fix? I have only minor issues with current functionality: rogue Chinese characters, safe jump from FW 1.1.6, and list songs or albums in date added sequence. And replaygain for my shuffled songs.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #11,449 of 15,897
Anyone with a MoJo can confirm if Fiio App does output 24/192+ correctly and not downsampling to 96hz?

Using SPDIF out, I can confirm no issues doing this with the Hugo 2....Mojo should be no different.

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #11,450 of 15,897
Sorry to hear that your experiences with the X5III have been so poor. I truly hope that you find a player that suits your needs and works well.

As for me, I use my X5III every day (usually docked in a K5) for 8+ hrs a day. Most days I stay in Pure Music mode and listen to my collection (~1500 tracks -- predominantly .flac with just a smattering of .mp3) via a pair of Bluetooth headphones. I can count the number of times that the Fiio Music player has crashed on me on the fingers of one hand and still have 4 fingers left over. I don't find the interface to be sluggish in the least (although I admit that my collection is small by all standards).

When I switch to Android mode to stream music from Spotify or Google Play Music, my experience is similarly crash- and lag-free. Yes, I have experienced the dreaded deletion of downloaded Spotify music and I hope that this gets sorted out some day (but I think that's Spotify's problem not Fiio's). Other than that, no real issues.

I don't deny that others are having issues with this player and I truly hope that their problems can be sorted out. But for me, this player has been a joy to own and use from the first day I received it back in March and I still heartily recommend it to anyone who asks (for what little my opinion is worth).
My experience has been similar. Few issues at all. Maybe three crashes in pure music mode in 7 months. 35000 plus tracks on two 200 gig uSD cards. No streaming though.
I do desperately want ReplyGain!!!!

I feel badly for those with problems. I tend to think with the dichotomy of experiences, that some of these are due to environment and/or a defective player. Environment meaning use case.
Overall my experience has been quite positive. I really like the sound signature from the device. It does almost everything that I want, and is relatively cheap to boot.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #11,451 of 15,897
After having been supportive and patient about this DAP for months i decided to sell mine, and to move on. I'm unhappy about a Fiio product for the first time, and even if i kept hope that the situation would improve in time i have to surrender now. I need a DAP who doesn't crash several times a day, i need a DAP who isn't sluggish to use, i need a DAP that would resume without crashing when i pause it for some time, i need a DAP with a balanced output that doesn't hiss so much, i need a DAP who can handle reasonably big libraries, i need a DAP i can rely on, and the X5 III failed in too many aspects (and i forgot to mention the poor wifi chip).

I know Fiio you did your best in trying to improve the situation, but there was too much to do and there is still so much to do, some you will fix, and some you can't fix (hardware related), i wish you the best and hope you'll end up making this device stable. I also hope you'll learn the lesson and don't release an unfinished product anymore (oh yes hardware is nothing without good software).

I don't really blame you, you're still a young company, and i know you'll improve in time, but for now you're not up to the task yet. Thanks for the good communication and support you provided though.

bye bye X5 III !

I had similar user experience as you. I dumped my X5 III as well after four weeks. Couldn't deal with it anymore.

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #11,452 of 15,897
I have had mine for 4 months now, use it almost daily. Quite happy with it, best DAP I have used till now. The "in vehicle" mode is an amazing functionality, as I use it my car a lot.

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #11,453 of 15,897
I had similar user experience as you. I dumped my X5 III as well after four weeks. Couldn't deal with it anymore.

I was more patient - sold my X5 III after six months. By my opinion software it is killing this great DAP. Let me give advice for Fiio - send for all X5 III owners gift as compensation for being beta testers. For example - good IEM. All that patient people deserve it.

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #11,455 of 15,897
I was more patient - sold my X5 III after six months. By my opinion software it is killing this great DAP. Let me give advice for Fiio - send for all X5 III owners gift as compensation for being beta testers. For example - good IEM. All that patient people deserve it.

The problem - some people who have issues with the X5iii and normally this will result in people being vocal about it vs the vast silent majority who do not share those issues. I feel sorry for those who have those issues and hopefully they can be solved - but assuming they are the same for everyone is unhelpful. I've had the X5iii longer than most, and its been mostly stable (occasionally they've had a few glitches when they've tried to implement fixes or new features). But for the most part it is feature rich, sounds fantastic, quite stable for an Android device, and very competitively priced (considering the hardware, sonics and features).

I don't feel like a beta tester with the X5iii - never have.

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #11,456 of 15,897
For some reason, I don't have any qualm with the device, other than it being a little warm after 2-3 hours continuously playing music. Playing Tidal is great and I also used internal storage which have less than 20GB of songs.

Sep 22, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #11,458 of 15,897
I just purchased Fioo X5 III
Please help i have a problem when conecting it to Pc for the first time
when i conect it to Pc, this show up
External drive E, External drive I, External drive J
3 drives show up, but is not possible to access them

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #11,459 of 15,897
I had mine since a month and have to say that it sounds quite well, possibly better than my old Fiio X5II but with my old X5II everything goes as it should, in two years I can't remember one unexpected close. The problem with the X5III is mainly if not totally a software design issue. The biggest problem I can comment is that annoying hiss with high sensitive iems and the continuous pops sounds when you're not listen music with the earphones in your ears. All that strange sounds desapears when you push the play. What to ask to you all if yours make the same noises and if you think that would firmware update can solve it.

Sep 22, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #11,460 of 15,897
I just purchased Fioo X5 III
Please help i have a problem when conecting it to Pc for the first time
when i conect it to Pc, this show up
External drive E, External drive I, External drive J
3 drives show up, but is not possible to access them

Now i am disapointed

Swipe down the top menu, there should be a message saying USB connected, touch to copy files. You'll get a full screen picture of the Android green man holding a USB emblem. At the bottom will be a button "turn on USB storage". Push it, click OK if the warning comes up, and wait for the green icon to turn orange (it will also say "USB storage in use"). At that stage you can access your files. This is normal Android operations. Would suggest you read the manual rather than becoming disappointed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back