Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Sep 22, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #11,476 of 15,899
I think the x5iii is the device the x7 failed to be and the x7ii is the device people hoped the x5iii was going to be. But, that's technical product development for you. Sure, I wish I had x7ii but I only paid x5iii price and I'm sure glad that I didn't get the x7 as my first DAP in ~10 years (or even worse, the X3iii). Some of the x5's failings are just crap software design / code writing & are very fixable, like basic sorting and distinguishing 2 albums with the same name by checking the Artist's name. Maybe other stuff really is in a hardware cul-de-sac and not fixable & Fiio should come clean but if other apps are a solution then it is still only software. Seems Fiio must grow by building their software skills rather than just adding slightly upgraded chips in a race of diminishing returns. Today, hardware excellence is not enough; every device maker can deliver that at some price, but I do like Fiio's quite aggressive prices but that cannot be as an off set for inadequate software design & development. School report = talented with potential; must do better in software.

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #11,477 of 15,899
Some of the x5's failings are just crap software design / code writing & are very fixable, like basic sorting and distinguishing 2 albums with the same name by checking the Artist's name.

I just responded to this issue on the X7ii thread. A quick check of Neutron shows it cant distinguish between artists while the Foobar 2000 app can. I tested the following artists that had an album titled "Red."

Taylor Swift
King Crimson
Black Uhuru

Sep 22, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #11,478 of 15,899
This is funny Fiio was created in 2007, Nintendo Wii was released in 2006, i think Fiio got Wii as inspiration :)
This is what i think that because of Wii the name Fiio came into existence. so far i like my Fioo X5 III player but i have things to try out.

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #11,479 of 15,899
The problem - some people who have issues with the X5iii and normally this will result in people being vocal about it vs the vast silent majority who do not share those issues. I feel sorry for those who have those issues and hopefully they can be solved - but assuming they are the same for everyone is unhelpful. I've had the X5iii longer than most, and its been mostly stable (occasionally they've had a few glitches when they've tried to implement fixes or new features). But for the most part it is feature rich, sounds fantastic, quite stable for an Android device, and very competitively priced (considering the hardware, sonics and features).

I don't feel like a beta tester with the X5iii - never have.

Never had any issues with mine...just a great DAP IMO. Count me as the silent majority. Well, I guess not anymore? :p

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #11,480 of 15,899
I have said on several occasions, but it seems to get lost in the volume of the thread posts...or no one want to read it:
For my use case the X5II has been close to flawless. I really like the sound and the fact that I can carry around 400 gig of quality music in my pocket. (Well 512 if I chose to pay the price for 256 gig cards... or soon 800 gig...)
I like the fact that I can load up any android based music player that I want. I don't care much about sorting, or even occasional Chinese characters (which I have never seen BTW). In other words, I am quite glad that I made the purchase.
Being happy with what it does and not agonizing over what it doesn't will do that for a person.

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #11,481 of 15,899
I have said on several occasions, but it seems to get lost in the volume of the thread posts...or no one want to read it:
For my use case the X5II has been close to flawless. I really like the sound and the fact that I can carry around 400 gig of quality music in my pocket. (Well 512 if I chose to pay the price for 256 gig cards... or soon 800 gig...)
I like the fact that I can load up any android based music player that I want. I don't care much about sorting, or even occasional Chinese characters (which I have never seen BTW). In other words, I am quite glad that I made the purchase.
Being happy with what it does and not agonizing over what it doesn't will do that for a person.

Mandrake - one of the things I find frustrating is the alph sort. I have two 256 cards totally filled. With a few thousand albums then terrible alpha sort is a constant frustration For me. May I ask how many files you are actually using and how your tagging is structured? I'd rather not agaonize over the bad sorting scheme but I haven't found a way around it

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #11,482 of 15,899
----------------------------------------

After all these months, pulled out and dusted off my Fiio X3II tethered to the Fiio E12 amp.

I found that the sound is “fuller”, warmer and more robust than that produced by the X5III.

So the X3II is now my go-to DAP. The hardware and software Interface is so much more intuitive.

Of course it’s harder to read the smaller screen, but the X3II has replay gain and I can sort of get
what I have been begging Fiio X5III for, “Add to now Playing” functionality – I mostly use playlists and with the X3II I can scroll to a wanted song in the playlist, play it, and the player will still continue with the list without any more user intervention.
The X5III does not have this capability.

I keep a pop-out magnifier in my pocket for when I need to get details on the small screen.

I intend to keep the X5III just for the “other” capabilities such as viewing videos with the VLC player app (I don't own a Smart Phone).

I mean the old X3II+E12amp gives me a better interface AND a better signature – it’s a no brainer.

Fool me once, shame on you….
It's a shame it doesn't have Add to now playing. I may go to hidizs ap200. It does have queing function

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #11,483 of 15,899
It's a shame it doesn't have Add to now playing. I may go to hidizs ap200. It does have queing function

I am tired of waiting for fixes or enhancements that never come.

Peter Puget suggested in his post that perhaps Fiio just doesn’t give a damn anymore.
I am inclined to agree.

As Glen Close said to Michael Douglas in “Fatal Attraction”
“Well, what am I supposed to do? You won't answer my calls, you change your number. I mean, I'm not gonna be ignored, Dan!”

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #11,484 of 15,899
FiiO does give a damn. They're actually testing fixes for both X1ii and X3iii for gapless, and also working on more fw fixes for the X5iii (I have the beta as I'm a tester for them).

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #11,486 of 15,899
FiiO does give a damn. They're actually testing fixes for both X1ii and X3iii for gapless, and also working on more fw fixes for the X5iii (I have the beta as I'm a tester for them).

With respect.

Problem is Brooko, it’s not like users are asking for something new or unique. Some of these things were advertised as included and others should have been, or were assumed to have been in place whether mentioned in Fiio’s (incomplete) specs beforehand or not.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #11,489 of 15,899
Good luck to you finding the perfect DAP - and I do mean that sincerely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back