Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jun 2, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #9,466 of 15,899
MassDrop says they'll ship June 6 -- should receive sometimes next week. I was looking for a Lightning when the Fireye drop showed up. Shadow does sound very nice.

Would be very interesting to see your observations. IMO X5's worst component is probably the amp stage. So it would definitely be a serious set up on balanced with the Fireye.

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #9,467 of 15,899
Ok, just had a listen - not an exhaustive test but a listen straight out of the X5.3 and also via the Cayin C5 amp. The M50Xs work very nicely, possibly the best I've heard them. Plenty of high frequency definition without harshness, low end is there though perhaps a little understated. Soundstage is as reasonable as you would expect from these cans and overall presentation has a nice quality of air to it. They do benefit from the additional amp (C5) but I was pleasantly surprised with the result running straight out of the Fiio. You don't need an amp, but you'll probably want one! I listened to Chan Chan (Buena Vista Social Club), Matangi (M.I.A.), Rock Steady (Aretha Franklin), Pink Panther Theme (Boston Philharmonic (I think)) - all sounded impressive with the Pink Panther Theme being presented especially well.

HOWEVER - and I know this is not what you were asking, but I'll give my slightly off-topic advice anyway - the M50s pale in comparison to the LZ A4 and if you were an IRL friend of mine, (depending on your current source) I would advise you look at buying new headphones/earphones before upgrading your DAP. I loved the M50s when I was using them but since I have bought more capable gear I don't use them much at all. In terms of soundstage, bass presentation, detail, layering, entire experience - the LZ A4s walk all over the M50s - that's an IEM slamming a full size circumaural headphone.

If you have no interest in upgrading your cans, I can tell you that you will enjoy the X5III paired with the M50Xs.

Super thanks for this! Actually I have upgraded my cans and my desktop setup is hd6xx with a schiit amp and dragonfly red as dac. I just wanted a mobile setup i can move around with. I'll take this into consideration i'm also looking at an pioneer xdp-300r as well.

Jun 3, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #9,468 of 15,899
Dear friend,

We missed you mail or post? Maybe we haven't replied the mail you sent as we had a three-days holiday before. Sometimes our email system would be weird and intercept some mails. You may inform us your email address and we will have a check about this. Sorry if bringing inconvenience to you.

Best regards

I replied you many times from weeks ago, But I received a reply only once first time. After that I have never received your reply.
These ticket IDs are listed below.
[Id: S93531 - T45835]
[Id: S93531 - T4 6485]

Also, I have never been recieving reply from you about question of following titles. It's sending date is May 19th.
"[X5 3rd] Does not recognize microSD"

You should be able to know my email address from these ticket ID above.
Thank you.

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #9,469 of 15,899
Nice. Got my repaired unit back and now sounded much better. Not day and night differences but at least is noticeably better than my current set up I have so far.

Sound on the slight warm from neutral style. Separation and sound stage still not as impressive compared to some dap I auditioned but improved from my previous faulty unit. Tho it seems my stock music player crash more often than it used to be.

I ordered a FiiO A5 amp and should arrived soon. Let's see if the fiio x5 3rd Gen's amp is indeed, not a good implementation.

Jun 3, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #9,472 of 15,899
so i got my fiio x5iii today looks really nice in titanium color (much darker than on pictures if someone is deciding between black and titanium) however my scroll wheel seems kinda off
it kinda scrolls too smooth especially compared to porta_fi's impression video and its clicks are also not very audible
is the scroll wheel like that or is mine a bit defective in that regard??

Jun 3, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #9,473 of 15,899
so i got my fiio x5iii today looks really nice in titanium color (much darker than on pictures if someone is deciding between black and titanium) however my scroll wheel seems kinda off
it kinda scrolls too smooth especially compared to porta_fi's impression video and its clicks are also not very audible
is the scroll wheel like that or is mine a bit defective in that regard??

My scroll wheel makes a very quiet click about every 3rd 'notch' (can't come up with a better word). I feel just a touch of physical resistance as a series of releases -- barely there.

Jun 3, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #9,475 of 15,899
Mine starts up in what ever mode it was last in. if i shut down in android it starts up in android same with pure music

NVM... I was being stupid.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #9,478 of 15,899
So I've decided to get this over the xdp-300r and cayin i5. Mainly due to the user friendliness of this and knowing that future updates will be regular.

Just wanna ask is it possible to plug an Audioquest Dragonfly Red onto this? I have that and I'm thinking if this stack would work if ever SQ is not to my liking.

Jun 4, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #9,479 of 15,899
Guys what music player app are you using in x5iii?

Rocket Player, which only sees the internal memory and the first sd card. The other part of my library I play with PowerAmp. Gave up on the FiiO stock player for many reasons...
I've tried about 19 other players, but none seems to tick every box for me.
Mostly need to be able to delete / tag files, see both cards (a lot of players I've tried don't support 2 sd-cards). And would love some shuffle options without messing up the trackorder of albums.
Any tips are welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back