Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jun 4, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #9,481 of 15,897
Either Neutron or FiiO Music. I like both.

Jun 4, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #9,482 of 15,897
I use either Fiio Music (which works for me really well) and Hiby and i am kind of liking foobar2000

Jun 4, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #9,483 of 15,897
Whenever I start my unit, it starts in Android mode. Is there a selection or a place to make it auto start in pure music? I can't seem to find it.
just in settings (swipe from to down) set pure music mode/ but this is just launcher that starts fiiomusic app.

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #9,484 of 15,897
Anyone who has rooted the X5iii, try adding this to the build.prop and restart.
Then try other player like poweramp or neutron and see if it will output 24/96+

persist.audio.fluence.mode=endfire
persist.audio.hp=true
persist.audio.vr.enable=false
persist.audio.handset.mic=digital
persist.audio.lowlatency.rec=falsentrol=1
persist.service.clearphase.enable=1
ro.somc.dmnorm.supported=true
persist.service.dmnorm.enable
audio.offload.buffer.size.kb=256
audio.offload.multiple.enabled=true
audio.offload.gapless.enabled=true
audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=true
audio.offload.pcm.24bit.enable=true
# these are only for lollipop and above
tunnel.decode=false
lpa.use-stagefright=false
persist.sys.media.use-awesome=1
sys.keep_app_1=com.bel.android.dspmanager
ro.audio.samplerate=48000
ro.audio.pcm.samplerate=48000
af.resampler.quality=255
af.resample=52000

hello... for me it is not working on neutron..

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #9,485 of 15,897
Has anyone found a clean way to root...not involving KingRoot or similar? I've used KingRoot before and it's taken a lot of hassle to replace it aftyer root - I don't mind fiddling around with a phone, but this is about music...far more important!

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #9,486 of 15,897
Has anyone found a clean way to root...not involving KingRoot or similar? I've used KingRoot before and it's taken a lot of hassle to replace it aftyer root - I don't mind fiddling around with a phone, but this is about music...far more important!
try this, nice and clean:
Here we go:

You can download TWRP (custom recovery) for FiiO X5-III here.
SuperSU package (root) for installing through TWRP is here.

Brief instructions:
- Unzip twrp-2.8.5.0-X5.zip, install drivers (run DriverInstall.exe);
- Power off the X5, connect it to the computer via USB while holding the Previous track button.
- Start AndroidTool.exe, make sure that only checkbox #2 is checked and LOADER device is found;
(for flashing stock recovery just untick #2 checkbox and choose #3 - recovery_stock.img).
- Press <Run> button, wait till flash operation is completed;
- Go to Advanced function tab and click <ResetDevice> button.
- We're done.

To enter custom recovery:
- Power off the X5;
- Push Previous track button, Play/Pause Button and Power button simultaneously.
- Wait 5 sec, release Power button;
- Wait till logo appears and then release all buttons.

The guide about using TWRP is here.

Enjoy!

If you appreciate my work, you can donate at the website in my sig...
Thank you.

Jun 4, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #9,487 of 15,897
Hi, i just wanna ask how do m50 sounds with these? We have kinda similar setups. My desktop is schiit amp with hd6xx. my portable is m50x, i wanna know if they will be ok with x5 3rd gen.
Fiio 5 3rd gen is very good with m50 cans- no distortion, great detail. bass is there, clean but not loud- but have not found a way to use the equalizer yet or viper addon software- directions that came with the Fiio 5 x3 arte a little pamplet with print too small to read. I must look at users here for more instruction. I havent used a portable dac in 3 years and back then an external amp, like jan meiers corda, helped a lot so I thought a chord mojo or fostex portable tube amp hp-v1 might further improve the sound. at this point,I actually listen to 90 Percent of my music relaxing in bed, outside on my deck, or working on my train layout in my cellar-- in all theses cases im away from my main system. Im undecided but I may put a schiit $849 mojnir 2 amp in my beroom instead of the $500 chord mojo.

so I rercomend thew Fiio 5x3 with the m50 cans and I will also buy balanced wires converting my senns hd650 can to a 3.5 balanced connection and then try thopse with the Fiio. Most users here rave about the mojo but the Fiio dac seems surprisingly good.

Jun 4, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #9,488 of 15,897
Fiio 5 3rd gen is very good with m50 cans- no distortion, great detail. bass is there, clean but not loud- but have not found a way to use the equalizer yet or viper addon software- directions that came with the Fiio 5 x3 arte a little pamplet with print too small to read. I must look at users here for more instruction. I havent used a portable dac in 3 years and back then an external amp, like jan meiers corda, helped a lot so I thought a chord mojo or fostex portable tube amp hp-v1 might further improve the sound. at this point,I actually listen to 90 Percent of my music relaxing in bed, outside on my deck, or working on my train layout in my cellar-- in all theses cases im away from my main system. Im undecided but I may put a schiit $849 mojnir 2 amp in my beroom instead of the $500 chord mojo.

so I rercomend thew Fiio 5x3 with the m50 cans and I will also buy balanced wires converting my senns hd650 can to a 3.5 balanced connection and then try thopse with the Fiio. Most users here rave about the mojo but the Fiio dac seems surprisingly good.

Thank you for this sir. Looks like i'm decided on the fiio x5 3rd gen. Now to find the best deal from where i am from. :)

Jun 4, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #9,489 of 15,897
When I tried this when I had the X5iii on the tour I could not get it to see both uSD cards, has this been fixed?

I just got mine personally owned X5iii today (red one, woot), I'm partial to Neutron myself, but I have a lot of credit on my Google account that I'm willing to blow.

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #9,490 of 15,897
When I tried this when I had the X5iii on the tour I could not get it to see both uSD cards, has this been fixed?

I just got mine personally owned X5iii today (red one, woot), I'm partial to Neutron myself, but I have a lot of credit on my Google account that I'm willing to blow.

I have had my X5iii since end of January. All FW versions allowed me to see both SD cards. Some others have mentioned this but i never experienced it myself

Jun 5, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #9,491 of 15,897
I have had my X5iii since end of January. All FW versions allowed me to see both SD cards. Some others have mentioned this but i never experienced it myself

Similar experience for me. Have had this since mid January and i have never encountered that problem.

Jun 5, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #9,492 of 15,897
Jun 5, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #9,493 of 15,897
niether have I.

If I am not mistaken you, HBB and i got the X5 around the same time. Those were good quiet days of 1.0.9 :)

Jun 5, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #9,494 of 15,897
Jun 5, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #9,495 of 15,897
Whenever I start my unit, it starts in Android mode. Is there a selection or a place to make it auto start in pure music? I can't seem to find it.
Dear friend,

While in Android mode, Pull down the Quick Settings menu from the top of the touchscreen and tap on the “Android Mode” icon; the player will prompt you on whether to switch the mode. Press OK to switch the X5 to Pure Music mode, allowing uninterrupted music enjoyment with the built in FiiO Music app. The X5 should restart in Pure Music mode after this.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back