Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 14, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #7,592 of 15,899
I wanted to send a Thank You to Fiio. I am truly enjoying my X5iii. I have had very few glitches and really see this as an end-game player. I am impressed with the sound I am getting out of it. I find more little features every time I dig into it. Just glad at the purchase. For the money, I don't think you could get much better than this. Just outstanding.

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #7,593 of 15,899
  How good is the quality of the X5 III's coax out to an external DAC?

I have used coax to connect to my Mojo a few times. It works really well. I used to connect the Mojo to a phone via usb and I found that connection difficult when carrying the devices in a pocket do to frequent dropouts and disconnects. The coax arrangement is trouble free. I was pleased with the sound of the coax out to Mojo, but I don't do it very often as I am satisfied with the X5iii on its own.

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #7,594 of 15,899
  Dear HyperDuel,

The same TF card works well in the SD card slot 1, right? Would you mind formating the card to other format to see whether it helps? Sorry for bringing incovnenience to you.

Best regards

@FiiO no dice.  I first format the card to NTFS and put it in Second SD Card slot.  The music doesn't play after I paused it for a minute.  Instead, it will play the song from the beginning, or sometimes it will crash the FiiO Music app.  I moved the SD Card into slot one, and I moved my other SD Card into slot two.  Whatever plays from SD Card slot one works just fine, whatever plays in the Second SD Card slot will have those glitches.  Even trying out different music apps in Android mode will have the same issues from playing songs from the Second SD Card slot.  

Honestly I think this is a software issue and not hardware.  

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #7,595 of 15,899
I have not used the ipod touch range, however, I do have two 160GB ipod classics sitting in a storage box, therefore this is a bit of an assumption, but I will assume that their sound signatures are similar. If so, then I can tell you that these players are nothing alike. 

I ditched my ipods after hearing the DAC on my Note 3, which led me to buying a Fiio X5II as I wanted a dedicated DAP.  On listening to the Fiio X5II I realised that I could never go back to my ipods.  This new X5III is even better, compared to the ipod everything is so much clearer and natural sounding, to my ears the ipod sounds like it is playing through a veil being smothered etc.

All I can say is, if you can, trial it.  I purchased my first Fiio blind and thankfully it paid off for me, but as I have found here, everyones taste is different.
I have not used the ipod touch range, however, I do have two 160GB ipod classics sitting in a storage box, therefore this is a bit of an assumption, but I will assume that their sound signatures are similar. If so, then I can tell you that these players are nothing alike. 

I ditched my ipods after hearing the DAC on my Note 3, which led me to buying a Fiio X5II as I wanted a dedicated DAP.  On listening to the Fiio X5II I realised that I could never go back to my ipods.  This new X5III is even better, compared to the ipod everything is so much clearer and natural sounding, to my ears the ipod sounds like it is playing through a veil being smothered etc.

All I can say is, if you can, trial it.  I purchased my first Fiio blind and thankfully it paid off for me, but as I have found here, everyones taste is different.

Thanks for the reply. I had IPod Classic in the past and the sound was even better than the IPod Touch for me, i guess i will enjoy my Red Fiio X5 iii which is on the way :D

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #7,596 of 15,899
Sorry for double quote

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #7,597 of 15,899
Hello everyone,

I was recently gifted this beautiful player, and I've been doing my best to trying to figure out how to get what I want out of it. Sadly, I feel I'm a little bit over my head.  I'm sorry if these are basic questions, but I've looked around and can't quite really find a good place to start.

I'll let you know what I'm ideally looking for, and hopefully there will be some way to make this possible!

Currently, my library exists under itunes, and since itunes doesn't support flac files, I have copies of both flac and alac for a large part of my library. I'd like to move to musicbee or another music program that plays flac files so I can do away with alac files. 

1) My first main concern is the syncing process. I hoping for something not too far off from syncing an ipod to itunes in that after I add an album to my manager (let's just use MusicBee for example), whenever I hook up my x5 to my computer, that newly added album to my library will sync onto my fiio as well. Which music managers could make this possible?

2) My second concern is play counts. All posts pertaining to this are usually from 2015 or before, and they often result with a) fiio players don't track play counts and b) someone asking why does anyone care about play counts?

As for the latter, I think it's just something people do or don't care about, and there's no sense trying to convince one of feeling the other way about it. Concerning the former point, a lot of the posts came before the x5iii was anywhere on the radar. I hope with the expanded functionalities the x5 utilizes, this can perhaps be a possibility now.

And with this same hope, I question the possibility of 

3) last.fm scrobbling
Whether it's scrobbling straight from the player (like what happens with the last.fm app, and when you listen to music on your phone), or the old fashioned way (where you listen to a song ten times on your player, it syncs those ten plays to your iTunes/musicbee/etc, and from there, the last.fm plugi/desktop app scrobbles it to your account). I tried it with the last.fm app installed on the x5, but it didn't work when listening to music through the Fiio player app. Perhaps I should use a third party player app (at the risk of losing functionality/benefits of the fiio player app  >< )?

Any help, direction, links, etc would be wholly appreciated!

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #7,598 of 15,899
I'm getting low speeds (10-15MB/sec) when copying files to the SD cards.

I expected these speeds when connecting the X5 to the computer with USB, since that's USB 2.0

But I'm also getting these speeds when I use the cards in a memory card reader (Kingston FCR-HS4, USB3)

that's supposed to go upto 100MB/sec.

I'm using Sandisk Ultra 200MB SD's. Formatted in the X5, so I guess they are formatted as FAT32.

Any thoughts?

I have 2 of those - $78right now at B&H and Newegg. Minimum write speeds for class 10 and U1 is 10MB/s. U3 (V30) is 30 MB/s, V60 and V90 are 60MB/s and 90 MB/s. I think I might've seen write speeds near 20 MB/s a few times - mainly when using USB3 card reader.

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #7,599 of 15,899
This is for Fiio Tech Support:  I think I have pretty much confirmed that the X5 III does not like Windows VBR WMA (using the Windows 10 codecs) files with embedded album art.  I randomly sees some and not others.  I went through and put a nice sampling of cuts and albums which I reconverted and re-embedded the art.  dbPowerAmp sees it, Media Monkey sees it, Sonos sees it, Squeezebox Touch sees it, as does VLC and Windows Media Player on my laptop.  

Just tried the same thing with APE files - same result.

FLAC files work fine and show all art.

Just converted the FLAC files to MP3's (Yuck) - they all show album art fine.

All conversions in all above tests were done using dbPoweramp version 16 (latest version) using their codecs from their website.  

Going to try the same procedure tonight with different conversion utility.

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #7,600 of 15,899

I just made my first backup using the Kingston card reader and getting 70 upto 85MB/sec reading speeds!
Which is totally cool with me. Making backups is the most timeconsuming activity anyway.
Won't be adding much music anyway when I'm done filling the cards. I do make backups a lot though.

Memory cards aren't meant for long term storage. I've had problems getting data off cards I've let sit for a year or more.

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #7,601 of 15,899

I just made my first backup using the Kingston card reader and getting 70 upto 85MB/sec reading speeds!
Which is totally cool with me. Making backups is the most timeconsuming activity anyway.
Won't be adding much music anyway when I'm done filling the cards. I do make backups a lot though.

Memory cards aren't meant for long term storage. I've had problems getting data off cards I've let sit for a year or more.

That's interesting. 

I had a few cards from 2008 - and although I did power them once every six months or so, I was able to recover even old deleted data and overwritten files with the correct software. 

Those were kingston, but the Romanian market is invaded by over 20 Kingston cards that have the exact same capacity and I'm too afraid to ask which one is the good one and which one is original and such so I bought Samsung. 

Running Samsung since 2015 and didn't really have much problems - though I only read the files from them with my phone or DAP. 

X5-3 recognized all those cards instantly, never had a problem with X5ii or any FiiO product recognizing my cards. 

Speed is much better if transferring files using an SD adapter which I actually use because the samsung one is handy to have and use. X5-3 is not that far from my smartphone in mSD transfer speeds (xiaomi mi max), so it didn't really bother me - plus my cards usually stay filled with my music, only transfer when I buy new albums and that's not that often these days since I have a large collection already 
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #7,602 of 15,899

I meant I was backing up the memory cards to the harddrive of my computer. Hence the read speeds.

Apr 14, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #7,603 of 15,899
  Hello everyone,

I was recently gifted this beautiful player, and I've been doing my best to trying to figure out how to get what I want out of it. Sadly, I feel I'm a little bit over my head.  I'm sorry if these are basic questions, but I've looked around and can't quite really find a good place to start.

I'll let you know what I'm ideally looking for, and hopefully there will be some way to make this possible!

Currently, my library exists under itunes, and since itunes doesn't support flac files, I have copies of both flac and alac for a large part of my library. I'd like to move to musicbee or another music program that plays flac files so I can do away with alac files. 

1) My first main concern is the syncing process. I hoping for something not too far off from syncing an ipod to itunes in that after I add an album to my manager (let's just use MusicBee for example), whenever I hook up my x5 to my computer, that newly added album to my library will sync onto my fiio as well. Which music managers could make this possible?

2) My second concern is play counts. All posts pertaining to this are usually from 2015 or before, and they often result with a) fiio players don't track play counts and b) someone asking why does anyone care about play counts?

As for the latter, I think it's just something people do or don't care about, and there's no sense trying to convince one of feeling the other way about it. Concerning the former point, a lot of the posts came before the x5iii was anywhere on the radar. I hope with the expanded functionalities the x5 utilizes, this can perhaps be a possibility now.

And with this same hope, I question the possibility of 

3) last.fm scrobbling
Whether it's scrobbling straight from the player (like what happens with the last.fm app, and when you listen to music on your phone), or the old fashioned way (where you listen to a song ten times on your player, it syncs those ten plays to your iTunes/musicbee/etc, and from there, the last.fm plugi/desktop app scrobbles it to your account). I tried it with the last.fm app installed on the x5, but it didn't work when listening to music through the Fiio player app. Perhaps I should use a third party player app (at the risk of losing functionality/benefits of the fiio player app  >< )?

Any help, direction, links, etc would be wholly appreciated!

​MediaMonkey  the paid for GOLD version does what you want. I'm using the free version so far and it occasionally does some weird stuff, but I just close and restart and it seems to do it right. I tried MusicBee for a bit, but found MediaMonkey to be better for my needs.

MM does a better easier job of synching Iphones, etc. than ITunes so I have no hesitation using it.

last.fm, I have less than zero knowledge of it. Scrobbling sounds like what a chicken does on the farm when it is hungry, am I close? lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back