Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 12, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #7,426 of 15,899

Fair enough, I look forward to your impressions. I'm unsure whether its worth getting an decent optical cable. What iems are you using with the Fiio?

Newest cans I just got from a recent crazy sale on newegg. Unbelievable pairing here. The DT1350 was on sale for $120 with a $20 credit.  

Tried out line out of the BL. I can't tell the difference between Coax or line out. Both sound very clean to me. As per iems used. I have a lot of different flavors but I feel dynamic drivers do better with the smooth clean sound of the X5iii more so than BAs. My HEM8 kinda sucks on the player.  My CKR10 is fantastic, 

FX850, CKR9, Hybrids like my PM4. My Sony Z5 balanced is crazy nice as well. 

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #7,427 of 15,899

This issue has been previously reported by other posters here (including me) so you're not alone in experiencing this. Fiio has acknowledged the issue and stated that a fix for it should be in the next FW release. I sure hope they do fix it soon because it's quite annoying.

When it happens to me, I just turn the dock off (with the volume knob), wait a second and turn the dock back on. It's pretty much the same thing as undocking the X5III but I figure that there is less wear on the USB port this way.

Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to the next firmware release!

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #7,428 of 15,899

Geez!
I have close to 20,000 files in folder mode, every one of them sounding better than ever before.

My X5-3 (Betsy) has become my constant companion and I do mean constant, I can’t even use the crapper w/o my headphones…only time I get a break is when she’s charging….so thinking of getting a Betsy II.

Maybe I need to check in to some kind of fiio rehab…or something.

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #7,429 of 15,899

Geez!
I have close to 20,000 files in folder mode, every one of them sounding better than ever before.

My X5-3 (Betsy) has become my constant companion and I do mean constant, I can’t even use the crapper w/o my headphones…only time I get a break is when she’s charging….so thinking of getting a Betsy II.

I completely understand the constant need to listen to Betsy. My X5III is playing non-stop as well. No need for a Betsy II though. Just grab yourself a K5 dock instead. Drop Betsy in the dock when you're listening at home or at work and you can keep listening even while recharging.

Having said that, I would never stand in the way of someone purchasing a second X5III if that is their desire. Do what makes you happy!

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #7,430 of 15,899

I completely understand the constant need to listen to Betsy. My X5III is playing non-stop as well. No need for a Betsy II though. Just grab yourself a K5 dock instead. Drop Betsy in the dock when you're listening at home or at work and you can keep listening even while recharging.

Betsy insists she would not sing as well without Clyde (my headphones) (she likes to dance around all over the place)
Women!!!!

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #7,431 of 15,899

Geez!

You're a funny fellow, dear sir 
biggrin.gif

Glad to see you're enjoying it so much! 

This is how I felt when I got my first X5 a few years ago. Nowadays work is needs to be done so much that I have to multitask listening and focusing on music with getting my work done 
gs1000.gif

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #7,435 of 15,899

A new avatar! That you Dobrescu George?

You’ll be disappointed:
Sony MDR1R – the plain ol’ one with no bells and whistles.

And you?

Yes, since I drawn it yesterday, I feel quite happy about this little logo 
gs1000.gif

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.ro/

MDR1R is something I don't think I tested yet, but the higher end Sonys had a warm sound that was quite friendly. The higher end models are the kinda headphones you want when you want all your music to sound friendly, happy and like a treat to yourself! 

I'm using ie800 and Meze 99 Classics. Both are lovely <3 I'm quite happy with both at the moment to be honest. There are headphones and IEMs that I am curious about, but these two brought me great happiness for the time being. As for the DAP, I really wish I culd get me one X5-3 or X7 but I'm stuck with an X5ii at the moment 
wink.gif
. Not a complain though, it sounds awesome! 

Music is love for me as well 
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #7,436 of 15,899
as you mention the K5 dock ...

Is it true, that you can't dock Betsy with the leatherette on?

I read that in a Head-Fi review ...

Second question: 

Why can't DK1 dock a X5-III ?

You can't dock the X5iii into the K5 with either case on sadly. As for the DK1, I have no issue using it with the X5iii.

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #7,438 of 15,899

Yes, since I drawn it yesterday, I feel quite happy about this little logo 
gs1000.gif

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.ro/

MDR1R is something I don't think I tested yet, but the higher end Sonys had a warm sound that was quite friendly. The higher end models are the kinda headphones you want when you want all your music to sound friendly, happy and like a treat to yourself! 

I'm using ie800 and Meze 99 Classics. Both are lovely <3 I'm quite happy with both at the moment to be honest. There are headphones and IEMs that I am curious about, but these two brought me great happiness for the time being. As for the DAP, I really wish I culd get me one X5-3 or X7 but I'm stuck with an X5ii at the moment 
wink.gif
. Not a complain though, it sounds awesome! 

Music is love for me as well 
wink.gif

Looks good.

I edited my previous reply to indicate that I do not own the Sony MDR1R with Bluetooth.
Sony went on a binge and created at least 3 or 4 MDR models all looking similar.
Then Amazon (probably in it’s confusion) seems to have lumped all the customer reviews together, which I think will make it even more confusing for new prospective purchasers.
Well in today’s marketplace “old” is more than two years.

Wow Senn IE800 and  Meze 99 Classics. I fear you’ve outclassed me.
Dunno about X5II or X7 – my first Fiio was the X3II. That X3II still sounds good, just not AS good.
Every time I though about returning the X5-3 because of the reported bugs (I have had none in folder mode), I made the mistake of listening to it “one more time”.

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #7,440 of 15,899
Ugh! After all this time ugly bugs are surfacing. When I change modes from android to pure music I get no sound and I have to turn the unit off and back on to get sound.

More worrying is the black screen bug where the unit is unresponsive when I power the unit on ( I turn it off because in standby battery life really goes down ) nothing responds only the blue LED light is on. I can't charge it, can't connect to the computer, basically it's unresponsive. Not even a reset works.

Eventually after playing with the buttons it starts up, but sometimes it's unresponsive for hours. This has happened like 5 times in the last week. And I've done nothing to the unit. The new firmware can't come soon enough.

Also sometimes when I switch modes it's playing a completely different song. What's weird is this just started about 2 weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back