Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 12, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #7,442 of 15,899
I wonder if FiiO will consider updating the firmware to Android O. With native LDAP support, AAudio Pro API and battery improvements there are several improvements that directly benefits a DAP. Not to forget all the other performance and battery saving improvements since Android 5.1.

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #7,445 of 15,899

Oh, great to hear that.
Do you dock X5-III with leather sleeve or without?
If it works with the leather sleeve, I'll get one for me then ...
A charger with benefits  :)

I've no clue, why FiiO does not mention X5-III as supported on their homepage ... 

I doc my X5iii with the dk1 docking station every day. it works with the fiio leather case because the case is open on the bottom. I also dock it with the clear fiio rubber case ( my preferred case ), but had to remove the small usb flap/cover on the bottom. The only issue i have is if i pause the unit when docked and come back after a few, the line out volume/power is cut in half ( nothing to do with the case).  I then have to undock and dock again for full volume. Fiio said they are aware and will try to fix with next FW. I have also found that while docked the power/wakeup button, is much easier to push with the clear rubber case than the leather.

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #7,447 of 15,899
Just finished loading my first couple of folders of songs and have run into a couple of issues - hopefully resolvable.  These have been loaded into the Music folder of the Fiio's Internal 32GB storage.

I have Android version 5.1.1 and FW 1.1.4 - running in Pure Music Mode.

1.  There are 6 folders (6 artists) with multiple folder under each artist corresponding to individual CD's/Albums. Most are WMA Lossless or VBR.  Each track has all of the necessary ID3 Tag information including album art as a 400 x 400 jpg image.  Album art does not show next to all listings.  Some do and some don't. And when playing, some show on the home screen - some do not.  Even if the album folders have a separate jpg file in their contents - it does not show - random - some do and some do not.  This could be a deal breaker.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

2.  In regards to Viper Effects.  There are some I would like to try, but they are obviously "paid" effects.  The problem is if you try to choose one, it brings up a QRM code to be scanned but no where tells you what the price of the module is???  Anyone know how to find out the price of these modules before you buy them?

3.  Finally... in the pure music mode, is there anyway to get the album art for the CD that is playing displayed bigger than the little mini-box at the top of the screen?  I have not been able to get anything displayed on the screen that looks like the pictures shown on the websites.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #7,448 of 15,899
I wonder if FiiO will consider updating the firmware to Android O. With native LDAP support, AAudio Pro API and battery improvements there are several improvements that directly benefits a DAP. Not to forget all the other performance and battery saving improvements since Android 5.1.

FiiO had mentioned previously that they actually wanted to use 6+ but RockChip hasn't updated their firmware to support it. They may have to drop RockChip in future devices in order to migrate, though the cost of production would be substantially higher.

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #7,449 of 15,899
Just finished loading my first couple of folders of songs and have run into a couple of issues - hopefully resolvable.  These have been loaded into the Music folder of the Fiio's Internal 32GB storage.

I have Android version 5.1.1 and FW 1.1.4 - running in Pure Music Mode.

1.  There are 6 folders (6 artists) with multiple folder under each artist corresponding to individual CD's/Albums. Most are WMA Lossless or VBR.  Each track has all of the necessary ID3 Tag information including album art as a 400 x 400 jpg image.  Album art does not show next to all listings.  Some do and some don't. And when playing, some show on the home screen - some do not.  Even if the album folders have a separate jpg file in their contents - it does not show - random - some do and some do not.  This could be a deal breaker.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

2.  In regards to Viper Effects.  There are some I would like to try, but they are obviously "paid" effects.  The problem is if you try to choose one, it brings up a QRM code to be scanned but no where tells you what the price of the module is???  Anyone know how to find out the price of these modules before you buy them?

3.  Finally... in the pure music mode, is there anyway to get the album art for the CD that is playing displayed bigger than the little mini-box at the top of the screen?  I have not been able to get anything displayed on the screen that looks like the pictures shown on the websites.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Modules are 49cents

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #7,450 of 15,899

Android O is quite some time away isn't it?

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #7,451 of 15,899
Thanks for the info on the modules... anyone got any thought on album art issues?

Now that I own an X5, I have to admit that I'm so far somewhat disappointed.  While the sound is very good - the experience is less than so. None of my other devices - older Zune, Sonos, Squeezebox Touch and more have any issues with the same files with the same album art.  Flawlessly find the embedded art and display it beautifully.  Not so much with the Fiio - I would say it's less than a 50/50 chance of working.

And on top of that... on the files that it does display it - a constant message that there are no lyrics found.  I could care less about lyrics - and there does not seem to be a way to turn off the message.

Unless something changes real soon, I'm afraid this baby will be going back to the vendor and I'll wait till Fiio decides to get their interface cleaned up and working.

Looking for fixes.... still hoping.

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #7,452 of 15,899

'3rd quarter', according to currently published schedules.  First developer preview was released Mar. 21, with additional previews scheduled for May, June and July.

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #7,453 of 15,899
Thanks for the info on the modules... anyone got any thought on album art issues?

Now that I own an X5, I have to admit that I'm so far somewhat disappointed.  While the sound is very good - the experience is less than so. None of my other devices - older Zune, Sonos, Squeezebox Touch and more have any issues with the same files with the same album art.  Flawlessly find the embedded art and display it beautifully.  Not so much with the Fiio - I would say it's less than a 50/50 chance of working.

And on top of that... on the files that it does display it - a constant message that there are no lyrics found.  I could care less about lyrics - and there does not seem to be a way to turn off the message.

Unless something changes real soon, I'm afraid this baby will be going back to the vendor and I'll wait till Fiio decides to get their interface cleaned up and working.

Tap on album art to cicle display info.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #7,454 of 15,899

If you started loading music before you updated to the latest firmware, you may need to clear you album art folder. Using the file browser (ES File Explorer or any other you installed), navigate to FiiOMusic and delete the folder called 'album'. Next, open the Fiio Music app, click on the settings icon (or swipe from the left), scroll down and select 'Reset database', then click 'ok'. Next, scroll back up the settings menu and select 'Scan for songs', then tap 'Scan all'. This should fix your embedded album art issue.

As for the lyrics message, as another member has said, you simply tap the album art to cycle to the next display screen.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #7,455 of 15,899

'3rd quarter', according to currently published schedules.  First developer preview was released Mar. 21, with additional previews scheduled for May, June and July.

Please lets not get ahead of ourselves and technology. The RK3188 is limited to Android 5 at this point in time. I would be thankful if they let Android M run on this chip to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back