Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 11, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #7,351 of 15,897
I've finally been bitten by one of these "bugs" in either the software or firmware. I get tracks that either randomly restart, or simply switch to a different track. How did this pass "QA"?  I will look around and see if there is a "simple" fix. 

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #7,352 of 15,897
  Agreed with your thoughts. I think with my iems not really much difference but it is my cans I can clearly tell the resolution and expanded dynamics of the BL. Love my BL but also love my X5iii. Both get used every day.  

In fact I use the X5iii line out to my BL via coax. Works great for desktop performance on the go. 

Nice! do you find the SQ is better with coax instead of 3.5mm line out?

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #7,353 of 15,897
That is normal :gs1000smile:

Let's not bring this conversation here for too long, this has been discussed in FiiO X5-2 thread as well. 

It happens because of how digital data works. 

The long story is a bit more complicated. 

That's what I figured, but some people we're talking as if they got something closer to the full amount. I thought maybe I could format differently and get more space.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #7,355 of 15,897
That's what I figured, but some people we're talking as if they got something closer to the full amount. I thought maybe I could format differently and get more space.

​Maybe you could user a higher FLAC compression if you really need to squeeze in a few extra songs per Gb? Maybe @Dobrescu George can advise on optimum compression rate for playback processing on X5-3 or even if it actually matters whether compression is high or low? I guess it just takes a bit longer to produce more highly compressed files but not sure about consequences (if any) on playback?

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #7,356 of 15,897

Hi

You had me worried for a second, I just checked my X5III and it appeared as though it was not working, however, it is working, but it is very subtle. 

Moving the balance two postions to "Left 2" on my X5II is noticable and corrects the defect in my left ear, however, on the X5III the difference is hardly noticable, I have to move the balance to "Left 5" for the sound to feel fully balanced.

Sorry that yours is not working, either yours is faulty or you have not moved the balance enough for it to be noticable.

One good point, your comment has improved the sound of my X5III as it now sounds fully balanced.

Thanks.

i will do factory reset and see why on earth it does not work for me

does ur slider work when u use the single headphone out?

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #7,359 of 15,897
You tried all of these through the X5? Very nice stuff by the way!

Thanks. :)

Yes, I was on the review tour and took the pic for my impending review. I ended up purchasing one for use as a transport and simple convenience when travelling (and also so I could spend more needed time with it for the review). Unfortunately the digital audio out from USB is still not implemented as advertised, and coaxial out is limited for some reason so I'm delaying said review. Maybe next FW update as FiiO mentioned recently.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #7,360 of 15,897

Nice! do you find the SQ is better with coax instead of 3.5mm line out?

Good question. Considering my BL is brand new I have not had time to test out both extensively thus far I have been just using coax out. Will give it a go with line out and report laters. 

So far I love the convienience of just using the X5iii with iems and even easy to drive headphones like my Thinksound On2, Philips Fidelio L2 and ATH-MSR7. All 3 sound excellent on the X5iii.

X5iii + BL --> TH-X00.. This right here is about as good as it gets for me. 

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #7,361 of 15,897

I am beginning to wonder if “Add to Now Playing” is an option that is even available in
the Fiio/Android OS.

I wonder that if it wasn’t there at the outset of the source code – it might be very difficult to implement it later.

In the Microsoft Zune players it was a snap – Add to Now Playing and the song showed up as the next selection, without otherwise disturbing your cued songs.

I requested it – was I in a minority?
Well, we’ll see in the next FW update.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #7,362 of 15,897
  @FiiO apparently I have a problem with the balance slider it simply does not work at all for me I am on firmware 1.1.4, i tried factory reset, and nothing, then I tried to do factory reset by pressing power and volume up and i cleared cache 3 times and did factory reset, and still no avail. Also I tried an older firmware 1.1.1 and still the balance slider does not work

How can I solve this issue shall I return it to the distributor where I bought it from or what shall I do?

Best wishes

​Maybe a silly question but are you sliding and then saying OK? If you don't click OK it doesn't do anything. Duh I did this the first few times and thought that doesn't do anything. Also trying a different IEM or phones changes response. I'm using Pure music mode as well.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #7,363 of 15,897
  i will do factory reset and see why on earth it does not work for me

does ur slider work when u use the single headphone out?

Hi,

I guess I should use my words carefully around audiophiles. 

I am using the standard headphone out, my headphones are not balanced. 

I meant that by adjusting the balance slider the music sounds balanced to me as my hearing through my left ear is weaker than my right.

It is working for me but it is very subtle, the old X5II is much better at balancing the channels.

I setup the X5III to "Left 2" the same as my X5II, I did not check it until you asked the question. 

Having checked it I have had to move the slider to "Left 5" to balance the sound properly.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #7,364 of 15,897

Well, we’ll see in the next FW update.

When Fiio have fixed the accepted bugs & provided the officially delayed functions (USB out, in-car feature, etc.), it would be great if they could then give us a few little extras as a "Thank You" for being such a lovely bunch of buyers. Maybe you'll get the Add to Now Playing & I'll get Playlist Import if these are popular amongst the user-base? I wonder what extra features other people would vote for (only one vote each)? I think parametric EQ might be up there?

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #7,365 of 15,897
Like many, I started off with Bose headphones mainly due to owning Bose docks, since then I have purchased AKG’s, Sennheiser’s, Denon’s etc., all sub £400.

I then purchased a cheap pair of B&O Beoplay H2s for travelling and was surprised by the clarity considering their price, however, they were not quite there, so I purchased a pair of 2nd Gen Beoplay H6s.

Personally, I believe that the H6s are AMAZING for their price, I would say that they sound better than many headphones costing twice, if not more.

I am an Old Fart who listens to mainly Rock & Alt Rock, and I find the H6 perfect for those genres.

After listening to a little R’n’B, (as I found myself liking some of Rag’n’Bone Man’s music), I discovered a whole new bass level coming from the Fiio x5III.

The Beoplay H6 delivers this full thumping bass without any distortion, nothing like the muddy sounding Beats.

The H6 is one of the most comfortable headphones that I have tried, I have large ears that fit comfortably within the H6, they grip my head well and provide good isolation.

Thanks for your reply, very instering, I didn't think about b & b cans. Isolation is good, you say: does it mean that outside people cannot hear your music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back