Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 29, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #6,376 of 15,899

Ok, i find a FiiO answer in the FAQ:
http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=41961&extra=page%3D1

What's the difference between Android and Pure Music mode?
In Android mode, you can install and run the third-party apps just like operating on an Android tablet. In Pure Music mode, only the FiiO Music app will be running and all operations will be limited to FiiO Music. In this way the X5 will work as a stable and pure music player

So I deduce that there is no difference in audio quality level, so I do not really worry about losing the "pure audio" in exchange for opening a bit the Android ecosystem

​I was listening to Celine Dion and found in Android mode the vocals had a divide in the middle of my face with her voice on each side, and in pure music mode that divide was gone and her voice was in front of me.  I don't understand why but the Onkyo app sounds like FiiO music app in pure music mode.  The FiiO music app in Android mode sounds different than the Onkyo app.

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #6,378 of 15,899
I
Ugh... I was really thinking about getting one of these... but it seems like everyone here is still Beta testing the product. 

I agree, I think I'll wait this out till further firmware refinement!

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #6,379 of 15,899
I just posted my impressions of WindowsX's latest public firmware mod here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/842635/fiio-x5iii-firmware-modification-project-purist-remixed-with-1-0-9-kernel#post_13384194

Bottom line, I found it to be a notable improvement to SQ in balanced mode. I haven't done much SE listening, so I can't really express a meaningful impression.

I'd love to hear what others think

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #6,380 of 15,899
Wow thanks for allowing that, you are so generous!

LOL

You're entitled to your opinion. I personally hate the clipping sockets on older models. It looks cheap, it's hard to unclip to me and as you said, needs a cover.

​Actually the design on the X3ii where you push the card in and push to release it is far better. All it needs is a cover to keep dust out. The tray is flimsy at best.

Come one, you two! 

Who could care less about this?! 

I prefer not having to deal with clips, but honestly, how often do I really take the mSD cards out? Maybe 50 times in the product lifetime, and that is when I'm comparing products. In my general usage, I almost never take those out! Also, in my normal usage, it is in a case! 

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #6,381 of 15,899
  Dear Darren Cotter,

Thank you for the support to us. 
We did have a testers group in China and also some testers abroad.
However, due to different using habits and that some of the problems may only happen in rare conditions, we could not detect all the problems during our tests. But we're working on to improve this situation now. 
One of the benefits of Android system is that we could keep adding new functions by firmware update. Therefore, the smart phones or other smart devices could be upgraded continuously during their product cycles and get more and more playability with each update.
Besides, in the light of customer-oriented principle and to improve user experience, we also added some functions mentioned by our users which we didn't plan to add before. 
Your kind understanding would be highly appreciated.

Best regards

I honestly appreciate your titanic effort for doing all of this, @FiiO 

It is rare that you see a company doing so much effort for ensuring its customers have a hassle free experience and I do appreciate getting the results! 

As for the stability, from what I've read throughout time, my usage patterns are similar to your Chinese testers (using only folder browsing, music ripped and tagged by me via MP3 TAG, only cover file in folder and no embedded cover art), but in those conditions, X5-3 is stable and a fully operational and enjoyable device! 

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #6,382 of 15,899
  Dear Marco Angel,

I have a Bug to report: Im on the Artist View (all my music is on a SD) Two diferent artist have an album named the same "greatest hits", and if im playing something from this "artist1-greatest hits" and want to change the song to something from "artist2-greatest hits", it keeps playing and changing from the first "album1-greatest hits". it only corrects if i choose to play something else and retry to play what i wanted to

--If the artists is different, even though they have songs in same albums, the songs by other artist may not be displayed in the same album of current artist in artists category. Do you mean that you want something like this?

If you want to play the album including different artists, you can go to album category and play this certain album to see whether it helps?

Also, if i have the screen lock settings on NONE, and play some music, it keeps locking and have to swipe the screen >=(

Do you want that the screen would never lock?
You can go to settings(Andriod mode)--Display--Sleep--Never to see whether it helps?

Best regards

In the SD, each artist have its own folder with its own album folders. On the X5iii, shows correctly (artist view) BUT, i could be listen to something from "motley crue - greatest hits - track 3", and if i try to switch to "billy idol - greatest hits - track 1" it behaves strangely, as i enter the folder of billy idol, the album art that normally shows correctly, then changes to the one of "motley crue- greatest hits", as i enter the album, it shows the songs o "billy idol - greatest hits" with it own album art correctly. But if i choose any song, it only repeat the song i was playing from motley crue.
It only solves by playing anything else from some artist that dont have an album named the same as the previous ( greatest hits in this case)

On the screen bug, I use it only on pure music. I have changed on Security - screen lock - none, and only works correctly: if i lock the screen, it unlocks as i press the power button. but if im playing something, and i lock the screen, now it ask me to swipe the screen to unlock it. If i pause the music, it works normally again. It doesent matter if its on android mode or pure music mode.
Also try your sugestion of "never sleeps" but it doesent helps.

Hope to have myself explained =)

Keep the great work, no other big brand name do the customer research as you do.

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #6,383 of 15,899
  In the SD, each artist have its own folder with its own album folders. On the X5iii, shows correctly (artist view) BUT, i could be listen to something from "motley crue - greatest hits - track 3", and if i try to switch to "billy idol - greatest hits - track 1" it behaves strangely, as i enter the folder of billy idol, the album art that normally shows correctly, then changes to the one of "motley crue- greatest hits", as i enter the album, it shows the songs o "billy idol - greatest hits" with it own album art correctly. But if i choose any song, it only repeat the song i was playing from motley crue.
It only solves by playing anything else from some artist that dont have an album named the same as the previous ( greatest hits in this case)

On the screen bug, I use it only on pure music. I have changed on Security - screen lock - none, and only works correctly: if i lock the screen, it unlocks as i press the power button. but if im playing something, and i lock the screen, now it ask me to swipe the screen to unlock it. If i pause the music, it works normally again. It doesent matter if its on android mode or pure music mode.
Also try your sugestion of "never sleeps" but it doesent helps.

Hope to have myself explained =)

Keep the great work, no other big brand name do the customer research as you do.

I had a very hard time reading what is going on and imagining it 
biggrin.gif

The problems might be from your files given how specific they are I would take a look at the tags, just to make sure. 

I also think that FiiO might need those file to analyse this. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #6,384 of 15,899

Chris (HBB) - haven't had a crash yet for the last 4-5 software updates.  It's pretty much flawless.

The issue is people who have not held the product, used the product, heard the product - making noise in the thread, and perpetuating claims that their are serious issues with it.  That is the ongoing noise.  And its frustrating - because its drowning out the reality.

My reviewing career is coming to an end because of my work load.  I will buy this from FiiO, and I'm quite happy to return all their other DAPs once I pull the pin.  But this is the one.  My end-game.

Never had a lock, crash or any of the problems folks are citing.
I am a massive pain in the a**. I would be all over FiiO in this thread. It ain't happening because I am not having issues. FiiO is active every single day in this thread addressing folks directly. You folks out of your mind.

You know how many companies address folks directly in this manner and in this volume?

Zero

You know how many Android devices that allow 3rd party apps have issues?

All of them.

This is the nature of the beast. I am actually having no issues with FiiO. Neutron? yes, but that is not under FiiO's  purview. OTA...that is a issue that FiiO needs to deal with. Appeal to the masses get ready to deal with the masses (bandwidth of all kinds)

This comes down to two options in my no problem having mind.

1. Some units have unit specific issues ( no other explanation as to why I do not suffer the ills of others)
  2. Some folks are just not too bright.

I can't pick one so I will pick both.

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #6,386 of 15,899
Never had a lock, crash or any of the problems folks are citing.
I am a massive pain in the a**. I would be all over FiiO in this thread. It ain't happening because I am not having issues. FiiO is active every single day in this thread addressing folks directly. You folks out of your mind.

You know how many companies address folks directly in this manner and in this volume?

Zero

You know how many Android devices that allow 3rd party apps have issues?

All of them.

This is the nature of the beast. I am actually having no issues with FiiO. Neutron? yes, but that is not under FiiO's  purview. OTA...that is a issue that FiiO needs to deal with. Appeal to the masses get ready to deal with the masses (bandwidth of all kinds)

This comes down to two options in my no problem having mind.

• Some units have unit specific issues ( no other explanation as to why I do not suffer the ills of others)
  • Some folks are just not too bright.

I can't pick one so I will pick both.

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #6,387 of 15,899
  Dear denony,

Yes, you can press the power button and the previous song button at the same time, and hold them for a few seconds to make a screenshoot. You may need to try few time and you will catch on soon. :)

Best regards

Hello

Thank you for the explanation. You were right, I needed a few tries
wink_face.gif

Now that I can take screenshots, may I suggest a small improvement in the main FiiO Music screen.

When FiiO Music is playing, the title of the song is displayed with "white letters", and it is difficult to read.

Would it be possible to darken the wallpaper image where the text is displayed, or change the font color ?

Thank you,

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #6,388 of 15,899
  Dear Darren Cotter,

Thank you for the support to us. 
We did have a testers group in China and also some testers abroad.
However, due to different using habits and that some of the problems may only happen in rare conditions, we could not detect all the problems during our tests. But we're working on to improve this situation now. 
One of the benefits of Android system is that we could keep adding new functions by firmware update. Therefore, the smart phones or other smart devices could be upgraded continuously during their product cycles and get more and more playability with each update.
Besides, in the light of customer-oriented principle and to improve user experience, we also added some functions mentioned by our users which we didn't plan to add before. 
Your kind understanding would be highly appreciated.

Best regards

Hi all at FiiO

Thanks for your reply. I understand and accept your explanation regarding Android. My previous posts questioning regarding the use of Android were too simplistic and it is of course, a better way forward to work out the bugs and then have a more functional unit compared to a non Android solution.

I am still undecided as to what to go for next. I think it would be an X7, but the only UK shop I have found where you can buy the X7 without an amp and then choose the amp, doesn't take the UK VAT off. Therefor, I am forced to get a unit with the AM1, when I really want an AM3.

Regards

Darren

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #6,390 of 15,899

Hello

Thank you for the explanation. You were right, I needed a few tries
wink_face.gif

Now that I can take screenshots, may I suggest a small improvement in the main FiiO Music screen.

When FiiO Music is playing, the title of the song is displayed with "white letters", and it is difficult to read.

Would it be possible to darken the wallpaper image where the text is displayed, or change the font color ?

Thank you,

FWIW, I have no trouble reading the letters, but being a bit bolder font would certainly help. Someone will probably offer a tweak at some point so you can go in and do that yourself. Also have you tried the other Theme that is in settings? Easier to read for sure although not as colorful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back