Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 28, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #6,196 of 15,899
Yep, it's the X5 3rd generation that I'm talking about. Sorry for any confusion!

Yeah, funnily enough, the X5iii does that. I hope it's fixed in a firmware update.

Yes, the X5iii supports drag and drop via Finder on a Mac. You don't need to run Android File Transfer to do any file transfers to its native storage.

I have actually enjoyed using Android Flle Transfer on my MacBook with previous Astell & Kern DAPs I've owned. Can't seem to get the Android File Transfer to recognize the X5iii currently.

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #6,198 of 15,899
  To @FiiO or anyone who might have the answers. 

Ill skip the pleasantries and get straight to the point. 

I've had the x5 for 3 days now and am currently on version 1.1.3 of the software. 

Some problems/questions:

1) If I pause the player for an extended time upward of 10-20 seconds and hit play again, theres a noticeable lag in playback. Sometimes it skips the song I'm currently playing altogether. The lag can be up to 10-15 seconds. 

2) How do I access the album of the current track playing? Im yet to figure this out and it grinds my gears. Perhaps Fiio can incorporate this option into the 3 dot button? Maybe im missing something completely...

3) How to fast forward a song? I thought long pressing the next button would do the trick (on the screen and hardware) but with no luck. 

4) Sometimes there is a click when changing sample rates, at times it can get loud. Also, this occasionally happens when moving from track to track of the same sample rate. 

5) It gets warm after 45min or so of playback. This might be due to the climate I'm in? (Tropical)

6) How do I purchase the viper effects? When I click pay with paypal a barcode comes up, what am I suppose to do with that? (sorry if that sounds silly but I really have no idea). 

Minor hiccups aside with the software, you really have created something beautiful. Musically, this DAP makes my legs wobble and arouses me in all the right places.

Thank you to anyone who gifts their answers.

@FiiO the click issue with line out between song is really ruining the listening experience

please look into it, I know you took note earlier, this only goes away if you turn on gapless in stock player

but some 3rd party player do not have gapless so this is an issue that really we appreciate if it can be solved

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #6,199 of 15,899
  Yes, it's okay.  Some of the early testers recommend it.  My X5iii and A5 are stacked even when listening to my iem's although I'll go through the X5iii headphone-out from time to time just for the change of pace/sound signature....
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Thanks for the answer. Very close to getting the X5 3rd Gen. It has been recommended by Brooko over the X7 and with the option of stacking with my A5 amp, I presumably don't need the amp swapping ability of the X7.

Was there ever any talk about 3rd parties producing X7 amps?

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #6,200 of 15,899
I have actually enjoyed using Android Flle Transfer on my MacBook with previous Astell & Kern DAPs I've owned. Can't seem to get the Android File Transfer to recognize the X5iii currently.

It doesn't mount using the MTP that Android File Transfer is intended (required) to talk to.

FiiO did it right and implemented standard USB Storage Class support.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #6,201 of 15,899

I need help why is the X5 showing my SD card as internal storage and asking if i want to download my music to the SD card. Yet it shows the SD Card as having 26.1 GB which is the internal storage amount. I have a 128 GB Samsung Select Micro SD card yet it is reading it like it is internal storage and treating the internal as the SD card.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #6,202 of 15,899
It doesn't mount using the MTP that Android File Transfer is intended (required) to talk to.

FiiO did it right and implemented standard USB Storage Class support.

Cool, thanks . it seems this is part of the "learning curve" of a new device.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #6,205 of 15,899

Some spanish forum mates are telling me that after each firmware update, their downloaded playlists from Spotify get lost as well as the configuration where they can be obtained from. This seems to happen with 1.1.3 and 1.1.4.
confused_face(1).gif
 Not the same issue with Tidal, though. 

Can anyone let me know if there's something to be done about it? Or do we have to wait until it's addressed by upcoming releases?

Thx in advance. 
wink_face.gif

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #6,206 of 15,899
Getting ready to pull trigger on the X5-3 and am not sure if it has been addressed in a more recent firmware update (got to posts on the v1.1.2 release on pg 350ish)  and while I have a large flac collection, I still stream at least 75%+ of the time and I believe it was stated that the streaming services have no EQ available and I'm just not sure flats happening with my hearing loss. In particular I'm wondering about Google Play Music.  It's been my experience that in the GPM app one needs to go into settings and there (depending on the smartphone) it will show an equalizer setting. Is anyone seeing this setting?  TIA.

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #6,207 of 15,899
Today I tested older Fiio firmware. I heard people went back to 1.1.1 for superior SQ but I guess I found another gem. My friend lent me Fiio X5iii yesterday and it was 1.0.9. It sounded very good the point I wonder why people complaining about SQ on FW. After flashing 1.1.4, I realized why they were complaining.

I'm gonna repack Fiio X5iii firmware with kernel from version 1.0.9 and files from 1.1.4 and publish soon. That'd be awesome for Fiio X5iii fans to appreciate analog sounding kernel. :)

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #6,209 of 15,899
@Fiio I'm finding that tracks played offline with Tidal on my X5 3rd gen often stutter really badly and you have to forward to the next track to stop the stuttering (which doesn't always work). This is very frustrating.

On a separate note, please keep updating the firmware with the same regularity as you have been recently. The Fiio support is excellent.

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #6,210 of 15,899
Is the bootloader unlocked on the X5iii?

I believe it's unlocked since I can modify boot image and replace kernel data myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back