Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 28, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #6,212 of 15,899
Did anyone ordered the black X5 from the Tinbel Store on Amazon?  Amazon was stated they were going to ship it today but it was pushed back until tomorrow.  It is also weird that the Tinbel Store doesn't have any more X5s in stock and it isn't listed on Amazon.  

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #6,214 of 15,899
  I think this is the problem on my surface book... It's a power problem...

Confirmed: Even a dual USB-A to Micro USB doesn't work on the Surface Book... Tried all connection combinations. Fiio X5 3rd gen does NOT work on a Surface Book with Windows 10. That is highly dissapointing. :frowning2:

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #6,215 of 15,899
Today I tested older Fiio firmware. I heard people went back to 1.1.1 for superior SQ but I guess I found another gem. My friend lent me Fiio X5iii yesterday and it was 1.0.9. It sounded very good the point I wonder why people complaining about SQ on FW. After flashing 1.1.4, I realized why they were complaining.

I'm gonna repack Fiio X5iii firmware with kernel from version 1.0.9 and files from 1.1.4 and publish soon. That'd be awesome for Fiio X5iii fans to appreciate analog sounding kernel. :)

What are the sound differences you hear?

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #6,216 of 15,899
@FiiO the click issue with line out between song is really ruining the listening experience

please look into it, I know you took note earlier, this only goes away if you turn on gapless in stock player

but some 3rd party player do not have gapless so this is an issue that really we appreciate if it can be solved

To @FiiO
 or anyone who might have the answers. 

Ill skip the pleasantries and get straight to the point. 

I've had the x5 for 3 days now and am currently on version 1.1.3 of the software. 

Some problems/questions:

1) If I pause the player for an extended time upward of 10-20 seconds and hit play again, theres a noticeable lag in playback. Sometimes it skips the song I'm currently playing altogether. The lag can be up to 10-15 seconds. 

2) How do I access the album of the current track playing? Im yet to figure this out and it grinds my gears. Perhaps Fiio can incorporate this option into the 3 dot button? Maybe im missing something completely...

3) How to fast forward a song? I thought long pressing the next button would do the trick (on the screen and hardware) but with no luck. 

4) Sometimes there is a click when changing sample rates, at times it can get loud. Also, this occasionally happens when moving from track to track of the same sample rate. 

5) It gets warm after 45min or so of playback. This might be due to the climate I'm in? (Tropical)

6) How do I purchase the viper effects? When I click pay with paypal a barcode comes up, what am I suppose to do with that? (sorry if that sounds silly but I really have no idea). 

Minor hiccups aside with the software, you really have created something beautiful. Musically, this DAP makes my legs wobble and arouses me in all the right places.

Thank you to anyone who gifts their answers.

To answer 6 you need a QR Code reader on your smart phone. Run it and focus your camera on the code. It will translate it and take you to the URL where you want to make your payment, (In my case PayPal). Each effect seems to cost 49cents.

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #6,217 of 15,899
Is the bootloader unlocked on the X5iii?

Will check and report back

**edit** Quick trip to fastboot and I can't get the device to detect. It finds a fastboot device, I can install the driver just fine, detects as working. The fastboot interface just doesn't pick up the device.

ADB works fine though. Able to boot in recovery mode just fine too...

Once rooted, you're able to flash zips and modify system without getting flagged with a locked bootloader though, so I guess they just chose to break fastboot instead of securing the device. :wink:

I'm pretty sure I could boot a custom recovery and test... If only I had some time. :wink:

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #6,218 of 15,899
Without quoting the entire post, I must echo one of Krisna13's points.  Is there no FF >> feature (or RW <<)???

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #6,219 of 15,899
@Fiio I'm finding that tracks played offline with Tidal on my X5 3rd gen often stutter really badly and you have to forward to the next track to stop the stuttering (which doesn't always work). This is very frustrating.

On a separate note, please keep updating the firmware with the same regularity as you have been recently. The Fiio support is excellent.

I am experiencing this too. I don't know if I will describe it as stuttering though ... its more like crackling, popping noises (imagine bad radio signal)
Wonder if this is in anyway related to offline files on the SD card.

"Tidal Offline playback from SD card" is the killer feature for me, so I would appreciate if @FiiO can look into this.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #6,220 of 15,899
  Today I tested older Fiio firmware. I heard people went back to 1.1.1 for superior SQ but I guess I found another gem. My friend lent me Fiio X5iii yesterday and it was 1.0.9. It sounded very good the point I wonder why people complaining about SQ on FW. After flashing 1.1.4, I realized why they were complaining.

I'm gonna repack Fiio X5iii firmware with kernel from version 1.0.9 and files from 1.1.4 and publish soon. That'd be awesome for Fiio X5iii fans to appreciate analog sounding kernel. :)

Could you elaborate on this a bit more? What do you mean by 'analog sounding kernel'? What kind of sound changes have you identified? Using which app?

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #6,221 of 15,899

Could you elaborate on this a bit more? What do you mean by 'analog sounding kernel'? What kind of sound changes have you identified? Using which app?

Keep in mind the reason the kernel changes is not only for sound differences, but hardware driver bugs which were fixed... I honestly don't think it's a great idea to play around with older kernels unless you're sure of what you're doing. :) 

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #6,222 of 15,899

Keep in mind the reason the kernel changes is not only for sound differences, but hardware driver bugs which were fixed... I honestly don't think it's a great idea to play around with older kernels unless you're sure of what you're doing. :) 

I agree, but I am curious as to what kind of sound changes people have been reporting seeing as none of the FiiO changelogs post 1.0.9 contain any mention of changing the sound signature. Not to mention this is purely a function of the underlying hardware and any changes would simply be considered software EQ. I find it doubtful that there have been any meaningful changes as suggested. Also, I daresay the actual Android kernal version probably hasn't changed either...

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #6,223 of 15,899

Sorry, how send the files?

Anyway, this is the content of the battery log betwen full charge (23:20) and capture screen (7:40)

Dear MacPac,

We have contacted the engineer about that. The battery life of your X5III is normal. Because of the chip limitation, our X5III may have bigger stanby current than some phones.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 28, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #6,224 of 15,899

I think this is the problem on my surface book... It's a power problem...

Confirmed: Even a dual USB-A to Micro USB doesn't work on the Surface Book... Tried all connection combinations. Fiio X5 3rd gen does NOT work on a Surface Book with Windows 10. That is highly dissapointing. :frowning2:

I have had similar issues with another device and the culprit was a couple of conflicting drivers.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #6,225 of 15,899

Because not everyone sticks to the status quo or draws inside the lines. Launcher 3 is limited for my tastes and android is a bonus for a DAP to me if customizable to my tastes. If you allow third party apps, at least don't limit power users. That and Nova is blazing fast on this device. I also had 3 crash/redraws with launcher 3 out of the box, which is disconcerting.I don't expect to use this as a phone, but I did expect minimal tailoring capabilities, which this does not permit. If you guys don't care about this, great! I have different requirements. :wink: I don't care if gmail or calendar doesn't work. The launcher is dissapointing to me. But knowing how to circumvent this only makes this an irritant. If other people like me have the same gripe, at least I've done what I could to inform them if they haven't jumped onboard yet. :) To each his own.

Dear Karendar,

Setting the third party Launcher 3 to default is not available. It will lead to the crash in Pure Music mode. Sorry if bringing inconvenience to you.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back