Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 6, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #4,141 of 15,897
  Hi,
i finally received new x5 today. 3 major first impressions:
- pc dac function is working without problem, driver instalation is piece of cake - watch and learn, Astell Kern
- not impressed by sound quality, but it is too soon to judge
- it's so much better to have big touch screen, than small display and wheel!

3 questions:
- there are 5 lowpass filter settings. What sound characteristic differences should we expect from them?
- would you recommend using it on low or high gain with 42ohm closed back full size headphones with 102db/mW sensitivity?
- can you recommend me your favourite classical albums in high res (im especially looking for best sounding Violin Concerto from Tchaikovsky and New World Symphony from Dvořák)?

Sharp Rolloff sounded cleanest and most detailed to my ears. 

Always use high gain for what is hard to drive, or if you want more granular control use low gain. I wouldn't expect anyone to reach the maximum volume fast enough to need high gain with your described settings. 

No idea about classical in hi-res. My favorite classical composer, George Enescu, a romanian composer, doesn't seem to exist at all in any hi-res format. If you want to hear something rather refreshing in classical music, Enescu's compositions are genius level. 

Not for the faint of heart though

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #4,142 of 15,897
THEY...THEY ARE REAL. THEY DO EXIST!

Nah, in all seriousness, it came in today. Time to have some fun... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #4,143 of 15,897
i owned in the past the most expensive dap ak380 and its amp, paid over 3900 usd, went to the hotel un-wrapped the box, and loaded my sdcard hooked up my iem. Excitement was taking over me getting ready to press play. here comes the moment when it hurts after pressing play, one thing came crashing, how on earth is that different than ak100ii which costed me only 500 usd used. Dam what did i do, I spent around 3400 usd extra on what i owned previously. What improvement did I get in return a slight 5% difference. I was crushed by it.

My wife noticed this as I was in the hotel room and she witnessed my reaction. All the excitement before un-wrapping got replaced with a huge slap on my decision making.

Yes the ak380 is better than my ak100ii but by how much? as I mentioned maybe 5% better but did that 5% worth the extra 3400 usd of course not. 

I learned one thing, I made a decision I will only buy daps that are max priced 1000 usd, but to shell out the 1000 usd it has to sound dam fantastic something that will be a real new offering in terms of tech and audio experience. Now with fiio x5iii for 400 usd man how on earth can anyone complain about it. This dap is just an example of a respectful company that keeps things real, and from the reports it sounds great. I own the fiio x7 now and i am content with it and I will add the x5iii to my arsenal as it has a different sound signature than the x7

I will try my best to not get at all into spending over 1000 usd on a dap or any hype train products from now on. I learned it the hard way, along which I lost lots of money buying and selling

Now with fiio their products are affordable, so whenever they release a new flagship I can simply buy it as well without worrying about my wallet thinning 

Final thoughts is that we wish Fiio to continue with this approach 

And final words, for people who are new into this hobby, do not expect at all if a song is mastered like trash that it will sound amazing even if you buy the best dap in the world. It will sound like trash and maybe even worst 

Right now after owing tons of gears, I like my fiio x7 hooked to alo mk3 B+ using my oppo pm1, the best I ever heard of course having viper effect in play . The oppo pm1 responds so well to eq and never ever distorts, and I use eq as well. And the bass boost on alo mk3 B+ is simply a huge mistake by Alo to drop that approach, as that is the best bass tuner on an amp, its a literal bass tuner. I wish more companies adopt this type of bass boost like Alo did in the past. Alo amp is a gem by istelf with its huge power and hugggggeeeeeeeeee sound stage.  I simply adore that setup.  Soon I will replace the x7 with x5iii in the chain. That is a real end game setup to me. 

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #4,145 of 15,897
  Mine arrived today from Sky by Gramophone. It was packed to survive a Nuclear blast. Nice job guys! Plus they shipped it 2 day which I appreciate especially as they didn't charge for shipping. Great service!

I took it out of the box and put it on a charger for three hours (trained to do this by the Chord Mojo) I had a brand new 200GB card, XFAT from the factory so I just loaded it up. I found out how to open the Card TRAY before I found the instructions that say how to do it. A card tray, interesting. I turned it on, struggled a bit with my local nightmare wifi situation and got it updated. I have been listening to it for a hour or so. It seems nice. I already have the coax cable so I will plug in the Mojo in a bit and see how different the X5iii sounds from my normal Mojo sound.

Thoughts...
I had to find out how to disable the left side skip buttons when it's in lock mode. I kept hitting them when I pick it up. I think I need to learn how to defeat those buttons all the time. 
Bootup takes a while. I have the current human .0000001ms attention span and this may take some getting used to.
I have washed my hands until I started removing flesh, and still each time I touch the screen it's like I have peanut butter on my hands. Gah.
I love the size of this thing. And the interface seem pretty swell at this early stage. (I am using the Pure music Mode)

Can anyone tell me how to enable LastFM Scrobbling? (If you don't know what scrobbling is, please ignore this entire sentence)

You got me again Fiio! Thanks!

Update: Some have described this thing as sounding "smooth". To me it feels like I am wearing pajamas while listening to it. It is very comfy.

Congrats you got your X5 3. Can you post the pictures of how connect the Mojo to X5 3 and cables you use? which will really help me.

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #4,148 of 15,897
Yes there seems to be some problem with the Fiio website??!!

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #4,150 of 15,897
someone said there was a FW update so wanted to check... is there a FW update?

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #4,151 of 15,897
Quote:

Mine arrived today from Sky by Gramophone. It was packed to survive a Nuclear blast. Nice job guys! Plus they shipped it 2 day which I appreciate especially as they didn't charge for shipping. Great service!

I took it out of the box and put it on a charger for three hours (trained to do this by the Chord Mojo) I had a brand new 200GB card, XFAT from the factory so I just loaded it up. I found out how to open the Card TRAY before I found the instructions that say how to do it. A card tray, interesting. I turned it on, struggled a bit with my local nightmare wifi situation and got it updated. I have been listening to it for a hour or so. It seems nice. I already have the coax cable so I will plug in the Mojo in a bit and see how different the X5iii sounds from my normal Mojo sound.

Thoughts...
I had to find out how to disable the left side skip buttons when it's in lock mode. I kept hitting them when I pick it up. I think I need to learn how to defeat those buttons all the time. 
Bootup takes a while. I have the current human .0000001ms attention span and this may take some getting used to.
I have washed my hands until I started removing flesh, and still each time I touch the screen it's like I have peanut butter on my hands. Gah.
I love the size of this thing. And the interface seem pretty swell at this early stage. (I am using the Pure music Mode)

Can anyone tell me how to enable LastFM Scrobbling? (If you don't know what scrobbling is, please ignore this entire sentence)

You got me again Fiio! Thanks!

Update: Some have described this thing as sounding "smooth". To me it feels like I am wearing pajamas while listening to it. It is very comfy.

Congrats you got your X5 3. Can you post the pictures of how connect the Mojo to X5 3 and cables you use? which will really help me.

Cable is a New Handmade Dyson Audio Fiio DAP DAC HP AMP 75 Ohm Digital Jumper TRRS/TS 3.5mm and works swell. 

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #4,153 of 15,897
Response from fiio regarding adding UAPP compatibility:

"Thank you for the feedback. We didn't recevied any information from the UAPP developer you mentioned before. And he seems offline for more than one week. And it seems that not so many users are using this APP. When we need to add this APP in our products, we need to have a look in the requirement  of the users first.  If there are enough users want this APP, we will surely considering whether making a cooperation with the UAPP."

I guess let fiio know if anyone is interested in using UAPP on the x5iii/x7

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #4,154 of 15,897
  @FiiO

sorry to bring old topic, any status on Red device ( you had mentioned would get distributed in March)

antz123,

Yep, the red version is estimated to released into market at the end of this month.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 6, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #4,155 of 15,897
Could anyone please answer whether one can export playlists created while using x5iii to view and edit them on a PC?
I really don't want to buy the device and discover that this is not possible. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back