Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 27, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #3,421 of 15,899
I will have the FiiO A5 in hand, tonight. PinkyPowers and I will audition tomorrow in a mini-meet, as we exchange the x5iii. Looking forward to the A5 synergy with the x5iii.

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #3,424 of 15,899
[quote name="FiiO" url="/t/828402/fiio-x5-3rd-gen-2x-akm-4490-balanced-out-dsd-dxd-dts-android-dual-card-slot/3400_40#post_?

Some friends suggested us to make the bands a little closer together to stack with a variety of amps and DACs.   

We use our current stacking kit  to stack with Mojo well , as the following pics , how do you think about it ?

[/quote]
I have the mojo , where can I buy the x5 gen 3, can't find it anywhere.

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #3,425 of 15,899
Thank you.  I guess I misunderstood the term smooth as a super lush warm sound.  I don't really understand the terminology some.

That is great

Thank you

Riley

I just want to be clear because my original post could be mis-read (late night posting). The X5-3 has a mid forward sound with a bit of warmth, but it's also clean in the detail that it presents without glossing over that detail and without the slight etch the X5-1 has in the treble. Without comparing the two the X5-1 sounds ok on its own, but then once you compare them and get past the slight mid forward warm sound of the X5-3 the treble detail is cleaner on the X5-3. Smoother.

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #3,426 of 15,899
Anyone here who also got the X5-ii, if you had some files on your SD card that the Fiio X5ii refused to play do these work on the x5iii?
I have a few tracks that wont play on my 2nd gen but play fine on PC and Sony walkman. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #3,427 of 15,899
Anyone here who also got the X5-ii, if you had some files on your SD card that the Fiio X5ii refused to play do these work on the x5iii?
I have a few tracks that wont play on my 2nd gen but play fine on PC and Sony walkman. 

What format are the files? Do you have anything else in the same folder besides the music files?

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #3,428 of 15,899
I just want to be clear because my original post could be mis-read (late night posting). The X5-3 has a mid forward sound with a bit of warmth, but it's also clean in the detail that it presents without glossing over that detail and without the slight etch the X5-1 has in the treble. Without comparing the two the X5-1 sounds ok on its own, but then once you compare them and get past the slight mid forward warm sound of the X5-3 the treble detail is cleaner on the X5-3. Smoother.

Thank you Relic!  The X 3 should be good for me than.

Thanks

Riley

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #3,430 of 15,899
Its a mix, some of the files are mp3 and others 16 bit 44hz FLAC.
Nothing else in the folder, only contains music files.

Hopefully I wont have to format my SD card once my X5iii comes.

Huh. I used my 200GB Sandisk card formatted with the X5-2 as FAT32 and besides the .pdf files giving the X5-3 some grief everything worked out fine. If I may suggest try to narrow down the tracks that are causing an issue and see if there's anything different with those tracks from the ones that play fine. Also, make sure your album art isn't huge (over 1000x1000).

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #3,431 of 15,899
Huh. I used my 200GB Sandisk card formatted with the X5-2 as FAT32 and besides the .pdf files giving the X5-3 some grief everything worked out fine. If I may suggest try to narrow down the tracks that are causing an issue and see if there's anything different with those tracks from the ones that play fine. Also, make sure your album art isn't huge (over 1000x1000).

Will check album art thanks.

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #3,432 of 15,899

Some of my embedded album art is pretty massive, have you noticed this having a negative effect on the x5iii?

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #3,433 of 15,899
Some of my embedded album art is pretty massive, have you noticed this having a negative effect on the x5iii?

I've noticed it's generally a resource hog with any DAP I've used. Also, reading the Cayin i5 thread, it's an issue for that device as well. The screen is 480 pixels wide so there is no need for larger album art size on the DAP than 480x480. Generally all my album art is 500x500 for simplicity sake.

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #3,434 of 15,899

I know I'm being pedantic, and you probably didn't mean it like this, but as a permanent tinnitus sufferer, I abhor it when flippant remarks like this are stated.

One of the most common causes of tinnitus is listening too loud.  You damage your hearing, and the brain basically replaces the frequency you can't hear by a high pitched ringing.  I would give anything to simply be able to listen to silence again.  Its something I can't do now - the ringing is always there.  You learn to live with it so that most times you don't notice it, but when it is quiet, its impossible to block it out.  And for anyone interested - mine wasn't listening too loud for extended periods of time, it was one concert (a 3 hour event) where I was stupid enough not to take hearing protection, and the organisers had the system jacked up too loud.

Back to George's comments.
  • Stating that you won't get tinnitus or listener fatigue and you can basically listen louder is like saying that you can drive as fast as you like with a new Ferrari, and because of the road handling, you don't need to worry about a seat-belt.  It is patently, utterly wrong.  Always use restraint with IEMs, and try to keep the volume levels well under 80dB.
  • No matter what DAP you have - smooth or sharp, thin or full bodied - they can all cause tinnitus or hearing damage if you listen too loud.
  • The X5iii does not "work better" if listened to at high volumes.  Its better for your long term hearing if you train yourself to listen at safe volumes - and I can assure you that at 65-75dB you can still get all the enjoyment you need from the X5iii.

As an ENT, I would also emphasize that it is not just the volume that causes damage but also the duration of exposure.  Hence OSHA limits on industrial noise exposure that include duration as well as dB.

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #3,435 of 15,899
I've noticed it's generally a resource hog with any DAP I've used. Also, reading the Cayin i5 thread, it's an issue for that device as well. The screen is 480 pixels wide so there is no need for larger album art size on the DAP than 480x480. Generally all my album art is 500x500 for simplicity sake.

Bollocks, having to change all those manually will be painful.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back