Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 1, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #1,936 of 15,899
First @Rhythmy thank you for the kind words. I'm glad I was able to help.

Quote:

Hey there, @chowmein83 

There is a little bit of inconsistency between your thoughts on X5-3 and other people's - especially when it comes to how it compares to X5ii. My main question is why you thought that X5ii was warmer - since I also owned X5ii since it's launch and I could never describe it as warm really. FiiO said it themselves that X5-3 will be warmer right in this thread 
redface.gif

Maybe I didn't say so clearly, but I don't think that the X5ii is actually that much warmer than the X5iii. In fact, I think the tonality between the two is very similar, just that the X5ii has slightly (and I mean slightly) more mid-bass. Personally, if I listen to the X5ii alone by itself I wouldn't call it warm, but since I have been able to extensively compare it to my X7 I can say that it sounds slightly warmer in comparison.

Does anybody know where can I buy Fiio X5III in Beijing? I will be visiting China in a few days and I tought I could buy it there since its not available on Amazon. Wiil it be working with no problem in Europe? - I mean all the apps installed in Chinese version? Is it better than Cowon Plenue M2 in SQ?

I can't help you with where to buy it in Beijing, but I can say that you will be OK picking up a Chinese unit. In fact, the X5iii that I am borrowing is the Chinese version, and that already comes with the Google Play Store. So no need to worry about apps and if it will work in Europe.

@chowmein83 , Which tracks did you use to come up with your opinions? Thxs.

I usually listen to new music that I'm interested at the moment whenever I test out something, but I do have some tracks that I always go back to. Some of these include:

1. "Hotel California" by the Eagles (both original and live)
  2. "Money" by Pink Floyd
  3. "Buena" by Morphine
  4. "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk
  5. "Blue Rondo a la Turk" and "Take Five" by the Dave Brubeck Quartet
  6. "The Four Seasons: The Vivaldi Album" played by Anne Akiko Meyers
  7. "Ole Bull: Concerto Fantastico – Allegro Affetuoso (La Notte)" played by the Norwegian Radio Orchestra

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #1,937 of 15,899

Maybe I didn't say so clearly, but I don't think that the X5ii is actually that much warmer than the X5iii. In fact, I think the tonality between the two is very similar, just that the X5ii has slightly (and I mean slightly) more mid-bass. Personally, if I listen to the X5ii alone by itself I wouldn't call it warm, but since I have been able to extensively compare it to my X7 I can say that it sounds slightly warmer in comparison.

I can't help you with where to buy it in Beijing, but I can say that you will be OK picking up a Chinese unit. In fact, the X5iii that I am borrowing is the Chinese version, and that already comes with the Google Play Store. So no need to worry about apps and if it will work in Europe.

I usually listen to new music that I'm interested at the moment whenever I test out something, but I do have some tracks that I always go back to. Some of these include:

1. "Hotel California" by the Eagles (both original and live)
  2. "Money" by Pink Floyd
  3. "Buena" by Morphine
  4. "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk
  5. "Blue Rondo a la Turk" and "Take Five" by the Dave Brubeck Quartet
  6. "The Four Seasons: The Vivaldi Album" played by Anne Akiko Meyers
  7. "Ole Bull: Concerto Fantastico – Allegro Affetuoso (La Notte)" played by the Norwegian Radio Orchestra

Thank you for your answer! 
biggrin.gif

Sounds like X5-3 is a really cool device so far! 

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #1,939 of 15,899
  i wonder if Fiio could add some function in the new firmware such as very low gain like in onkyo dxp1 so my iem can not hiss anymore. 

Why not submit a support ticket to FiiO so they can answer this question? Then you can enlighten us all with their response :)

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #1,941 of 15,899
  i wonder if Fiio could add some function in the new firmware such as very low gain like in onkyo dxp1 so my iem can not hiss anymore. 

Note that the amount of hardware gain is determined during the design phase, thus the noise produced by the hardware is fixed. Any software gain adjustment will likely only affect (*limit) how high the DAC's voltage output is, it won't change a bit on how much the amp section's hardware gain is, nor how much the background noise produced by the hardware.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #1,943 of 15,899
Is the latest firmware the official one? Or is it still on beta?

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #1,945 of 15,899
Boz:  Someone use "Desire" and "Sarah" from Dig and really test the X5iii LOW bass capability :)     Those are my go-to tracks right there.  Wish someone would release this in (even stereo) SACD...MoFI/AF/AP?  The DVD-Audio has a terrible bloated mix.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #1,946 of 15,899
Anybody has an LG V10 to compare, sound-quality wise? To me, V10 superseded the x5ii, so I was wondering what sounds better now.

X5ii should easily surpass V10 with virtually any headphone or IEM. Maybe you have a specific synergy in there and this means that only testing by yourself would provide a clear answer to this question.. 

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #1,947 of 15,899
Boz:  Someone use "Desire" and "Sarah" from Dig and really test the X5iii LOW bass capability :)     Those are my go-to tracks right there.  Wish someone would release this in (even stereo) SACD...MoFI/AF/AP?  The DVD-Audio has a terrible bloated mix.

Interesting. I own more than a hundred DVD-Audio discs and Dig has always been one of my go to titles.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #1,949 of 15,899
I use it with various headphones, but yeah testing it myself would be the ideal solution.......However I don't have that ability right now, so any other experiences and opinions will be appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back