Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 4, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #1,967 of 15,899
What's a safe, cheap place to buy the fiio x5 if I'm in Canada?

Person-to-person hand-off with Justin Trudeau. He's the local supplier.

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #1,971 of 15,899
What's a safe, cheap place to buy the fiio x5 if I'm in Canada?

Karender where are you in Canada?

I live in Toronto and there are several stores here that carry Fiio products.  Two fairly big retailers in Canada that carry Fiio products are Canada Computers and shop.ca.

If you can wait until in launches in Canada you should have no problem finding it at a good price.

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #1,972 of 15,899
Karender where are you in Canada?

I live in Toronto and there are several stores here that carry Fiio products.  Two fairly big retailers in Canada that carry Fiio products are Canada Computers and shop.ca.

If you can wait until in launches in Canada you should have no problem finding it at a good price.

I'm in Montreal, but I really didn't find anything worthwhile here. I go to Toronto once in a while, so we'll see when it does come out

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #1,974 of 15,899
Karendar:
not sure if laytonaudio is a good place.  I found the website but I have no experience buying over there

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #1,975 of 15,899

Congratulations!

Congrats James!!

Really nice way to start off with a new year, no?

Enviado desde mi H1

normal_smile .gif
Thank you! We will keep on working hard!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 4, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #1,977 of 15,899
Originally Posted by chowmein83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

First, the X5iii vs. the X5ii as a whole: Listening to the single-ended outputs of the both the X5iii and the X5ii using my Etymotic ER4S and my Sennheiser HD700, I felt that everything seems to be a bit sharper and clearer on the X5iii. The X5iii seems to have a slightly “airier” sound, in that I can more clearly hear the reverberations in the concert hall or in the recording room. The tonality between the two players is very similar – except the X5ii seems to have slightly more bass bloom (sounds a bit more mid-bassy). Separation and layering (perceiving which sounds are closer and further) of sounds is better on the X5iii. The soundstage width presented by the X5ii and the X5iii is about the same, but the X5iii gives a slightly deeper soundstage. Both players really didn’t have too much problems driving the ER4S or the HD700.

Overall, while the X5iii taken as a whole sounds better than the X5ii taken as a whole, I would be still happy to just listen to the X5ii.

Finally, a brief comparison on the DAC sections of each player: First off, the X5iii and the X7 DACs leave the X5ii in the dust. The X5ii DAC, in comparison to the ones on the X5iii and the X7, simply doesn’t have as black of a background and sounds too smooth in comparison with some details missing. Also, the X5ii DAC has worse separation as well as less depth and layering in the soundstage.

I read this as an indictment on the X5iii amp section.  When you compared X5ii to X5iii "as a whole" you didn't find much difference...slight/subtle.  But, when comparing the DAC's using a common external amp you say the x5iii DAC leaves the x5ii "in the dust."  If the X5iii amp section was good and transparent you should see the same difference in the "as a whole" test.  But, apparently the x5iii amp/analog section is not so good so as to mask the inherent advantage of the x5iii DAC.... 

Are you sure about your observations?

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #1,978 of 15,899

I read this as an indictment on the X5iii amp section.  When you compared X5ii to X5iii "as a whole" you didn't find much difference...slight/subtle.  But, when comparing the DAC's using a common external amp you say the x5iii DAC leaves the x5ii "in the dust."  If the X5iii amp section was good and transparent you should see the same difference in the "as a whole" test.  But, apparently the x5iii amp/analog section is not so good so as to mask the inherent advantage of the x5iii DAC.... 

Yes, that's actually how I would put it (sorry if I didn't make it clearer earlier). Like I said, I feel that the amp is really holding back how good the X5iii can sound, since I really feel that the X5iii's DAC is very nearly as good as the one in the X7.

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #1,979 of 15,899
Yes, that's actually how I would put it (sorry if I didn't make it clearer earlier). Like I said, I feel that the amp is really holding back how good the X5iii can sound, since I really feel that the X5iii's DAC is very nearly as good as the one in the X7.
same reason the AK380 has an Amp to attach to it.

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #1,980 of 15,899

This is a very interesting subject (quality of the dac and amp part in a dap) imo.

I still have a (1st gen) X5 over here, which I mainly use with a Headstage Arrow 5P amp. The X5 stand alone doesn't come close (in sq) to my P1 or LPG, but the combination with 5P does (at least to my ears). So I guess this means that the X5 classic also has a pretty good dac inside. Would be interesting to know how much the dac of the X5 iii can improve on that
rolleyes.gif

Another thing is that X5 stand alone hisses pretty badly with my Zeus, adding the 5P amp gives it an almost black background as well. So, the X5 hiss must be due to the amp part?
blink.gif

Btw, @jmills8 I know you have the Arrow amp as well. Have you tested it with your X5 iii from line out? Did sq improve in your opinion with that amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back