Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jan 9, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #961 of 15,899
  I've been following this thread for quite some time, since I'm in the market for a new DAP that will supplant my X5 II and probably even my phone > DAC combo. Seems like the 3rd gen is a really good choice as a transport (Google Play services compliant with option to use streaming services) with no differences between dedicated music mode and Android mode DAC output. I'm just curious on the power output, however. It's not quite as say, powerful as an X7 with the amp modules, but will it be good enough to power planars? I have the Audeze Sine and it's not really known for its sensitivity - thus a need for the Oppo HA-2 as my DAC/amp - and the X5 II barely drives the Sine to my preferred listening levels.

Any opinions on if the X5 III will be able to drive such cans? Thanks.

Can't give you a direct answer, but I can confirm X5III will be louder than HA-2. HA-2 on high gain should max out around 2.52Vrms in DAC/amp mode. In comparison, X5III on high gain should give you around 2.82Vrms.

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #962 of 15,899
Can't give you a direct answer, but I can confirm X5III will be louder than HA-2. HA-2 on high gain should max out around 2.52Vrms in DAC/amp mode. In comparison, X5III on high gain should give you around 2.82Vrms.

That's odd. He says he's dissatisfied with the 2nd Gen, but that has the same 250mA output and 0.2 more voltage peak-to-peak than the 3rd Gen.

Maybe he's just not hearing things truthfully. :D

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #963 of 15,899
That's odd. He says he's dissatisfied with the 2nd Gen, but that has the same 250mA output and 0.2 more voltage peak-to-peak than the 3rd Gen.

Maybe he's just not hearing things truthfully.
biggrin.gif

There is a way to make HA-2 outputs a little more voltage - by using it as a pure amp and feeding it a high enough line-out signal (>>1Vrms), then it can be pushed to near 3Vrms. However, it will start to clip when it is reaching that volume. As good as it is, HA-2 isn't meant to driver very demanding headphone. You will get better result with amp like FiiO A5, where then max output reaches over 5Vrms.

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #964 of 15,899
Just preordered my Fiio X5 3rd gen (black version obviously) here in Italy. Official Fiio seller says it is going to be in my hands in about 25 days! Price here in Italy: 449€.

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #965 of 15,899
Can anyone with a bit of knowledge explain a bit more on the 5 rolloff filters included?

Will these affect low or high end? Will these be available when outputting bitperfect audio?

Thanks

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #966 of 15,899

Thanks, that's a good sign. Will definitely keep a close eye on the X5 III. 

Also if there's rooting potential for this, I'll be even more on board with it. :)

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #967 of 15,899
I've been following this thread for quite some time, since I'm in the market for a new DAP that will supplant my X5 II and probably even my phone > DAC combo. Seems like the 3rd gen is a really good choice as a transport (Google Play services compliant with option to use streaming services) with no differences between dedicated music mode and Android mode DAC output. I'm just curious on the power output, however. It's not quite as say, powerful as an X7 with the amp modules, but will it be good enough to power planars? I have the Audeze Sine and it's not really known for its sensitivity - thus a need for the Oppo HA-2 as my DAC/amp - and the X5 II barely drives the Sine to my preferred listening levels.

Any opinions on if the X5 III will be able to drive such cans? Thanks.

First, let's look at some specifications. The X5ii outputs 436mW@16 Ohms and 235@32 Ohms. The HA-2 outputs 300mW@16 Ohms and 220mW@32 Ohms. Essentially the X5ii is slightly more powerful than the HA-2 so your conclusion that the X5ii isn't as powerful as the HA-2 is simply incorrect. The X5iii is close to the X5ii in power output and will be more than enough for the Sine.

Second, the Audeze Sine are known for their sensitivity. The headphone has an impedance of 20 Ohm and although there is no specific SPL sensitivity listed the Sine has been measured to require a whopping 0.38mW to reach 90dB SPL. The Sine is meant for mobile phones, specifically marketed for Apple devices with the cypher lightning cable option, and their power output is very weak, including the DAC/amp built in to the cypher cable.

I'm sorry, but if anyone feels the X5ii barely drives them loud enough for their preferred listen listening levels then either something is wrong with the X5ii, the Sine, or their hearing.

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #968 of 15,899
First, let's look at some specifications. The X5ii outputs 436mW@16 Ohms and 235@32 Ohms. The HA-2 outputs 300mW@16 Ohms and 220mW@32 Ohms. Essentially the X5ii is slightly more powerful than the HA-2 so your conclusion that the X5ii isn't as powerful as the HA-2 is simply incorrect. The X5iii is close to the X5ii in power output and will be more than enough for the Sine.

Second, the Audeze Sine are known for their sensitivity. The headphone has an impedance of 20 Ohm and although there is no specific SPL sensitivity listed the Sine has been measured to require a whopping 0.38mW to reach 90dB SPL. The Sine is meant for mobile phones, specifically marketed for Apple devices with the cypher lightning cable option, and their power output is very weak, including the DAC/amp built in to the cypher cable.

I'm sorry, but if anyone feels the X5ii barely drives them loud enough for their preferred listen listening levels then either something is wrong with the X5ii, the Sine, or their hearing.

Yeah, it's likely the X5 II. I was actually surprised to hit 120 steps on high gain when specs should be able to drive my cans to blistering, unlistenable levels. Must be the amp section that's quite busted, which will also explain the unusually high noise floor on high gain mode. 

Also for your second point, yeah the Sine isn't like the HD600 I had in terms of sensitivity, but it was certainly not as sensitive as something like a V-Moda M80 I owned. Back when I had the aforementioned headphone, my Nexus 6P can easily drive it - the Sine necessitated the use of the HA-2 to reach a comfortable listening volume for me.

Sorry for the confusion that may have been caused by my post, My bad! 

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #969 of 15,899
Any apps that outputs sound on X5III will use the exact same DAC as the FiiO music app. There is no such a thing as an 'inferior sound chip' on the SoC. The problem is, In normal Android, Google has implemented a simple SRC (sample rate convertor) into the audio driver that will degrade the sound quality on any sound that isn't natively encoded into 16/44.1. But on X5III (as well as X7), FiiO has rebuilt the audio driver from the ground up so Android no longer degrade the SQ. In theory, whatever apps you choose to use should give you the same SQ as the FiiO music app.

That's great. The more I read about the X5iii, the more I realize it's exactly what I'm looking for (well, except for the price - although I recognize that many will find the price more than reasonable).

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #970 of 15,899
  Can anyone with a bit of knowledge explain a bit more on the 5 rolloff filters included?

Will these affect low or high end? Will these be available when outputting bitperfect audio?

Thanks

We sort of covered these already:

Ok, this one requires a bit more explanation: Sharp and Short Delay Sharp have the same line, blue in the graph and the flattest. Slow and Short Delay Slow have the same line as well, in purple. Super Slow, in yellow, is by itself. In case you wonder, both the sharp and both the slow have the same FR curve, but they different in ringing, ripple and phase, which this graph can't show you but will sound different in your ears.

In any case, I took this from Absolute Sound that sort of explains the difference between these filters:

Untitled.png

I don't understand what you mean by 'outputting bitperfect audio'.

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #971 of 15,899
@clieOS

How are yoh liking the X5iii as a transport for the Mojo? I will be buying this as a transport for the Mojo as opposed to the way overpriced Poly. I think this may be a real game changer for me.

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #972 of 15,899
@clieOS

How are yoh liking the X5iii as a transport for the Mojo? I will be buying this as a transport for the Mojo as opposed to the way overpriced Poly. I think this may be a real game changer for me.

Via coax-out, everything works fine. Via USB-out, Onkyo HF Player is more stable than UAPP, but they both has small glitch from time to time. Unless you are into streaming, I think getting an X5III purely as digital transport is kind of a waste. For a pure music playback digital transport for Mojo, I am more inclined to recommend Shanling M1, or Sony A30 series (or the A10 series if you don't play with DSD).

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #975 of 15,899
Via coax-out, everything works fine. Via USB-out, Onkyo HF Player is more stable than UAPP, but they both has small glitch from time to time. Unless you are into streaming, I think getting an X5III purely as digital transport is kind of a waste. For a pure music playback digital transport for Mojo, I am more inclined to recommend Shanling M1, or Sony A30 series (or the A10 series if you don't play with DSD).

Thanks!

I thought about the M1 but I like the 2 mSD slots. I do want to stream Tidal for sure. I know its like a waste but I would use it on its own from time to time as well being i really like the AKM DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back