Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Dec 19, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #376 of 15,897

Thanks for your impressions so far. Do you know if it is possible to run the (Chinese?) version internationally, so with US/UK language?
Maybe @FiiO can tell?: Will there be different versions of the X5III for different regions?
Maybe I can get myself one from China.

FiiO hasn't made any regional specific DAP yet, so there is very unlikely they will do that anytime soon, given there isn't any good reason to do so.  Language is selectable in the Android setting, which is more of a Google thing and not really a FiiO thing. The only real difference will be that the Google service apps are likely not going to be included in the Chinese X5III (as China government blocks all Google service anyway). However, you can easily ask FiiO to send you a copy of their international firmware that do include all the Google service apps and update the firmware manually.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #380 of 15,897
Problem is, you can't always know what cable is not made to spec. Even some brand name cables are not made to spec. So tell me, how would you know when a cable is made to spec? You won't know. You'll just have to go with it and if it isn't made to spec, you can kill your device. I'd rather stick with micro USB than risk damaging my device.

USB-C was a good idea, but the implementation is garbage.

I've been using USB-C for over a year and haven't had a single problem. A Google engineer has done the research on the good/bad cables and the information is readily available. I'd assume if you're on a forum like this then you're smarter than the average consumer that buys cables at a gas station. If you're really afraid of the cables then go buy a micro-USB to USB-C adapter and use your old cables.

Android phones are going to USB-C, it makes sense for HiFi DAPs to follow suit.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #381 of 15,897
I've been using USB-C for over a year and haven't had a single problem. A Google engineer has done the research on the good/bad cables and the information is readily available. I'd assume if you're on a forum like this then you're smarter than the average consumer that buys cables at a gas station. If you're really afraid of the cables then go buy a micro-USB to USB-C adapter and use your old cables.

But Fiio would likely want to maintain compatibility with their recently released docks so I think micro USB will stay for this generation of products at least.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #382 of 15,897

Besides poor USB-C cables. there is the recently released docks. The docks use microUSB and if you want to have people not be able to use them with the X5iii, then sure, go USB-C. Won't happen in order to keep compatibility.

But I see no need for USB-C. You don't need it. And not everyone will know about Benson and his reviews. So until USB-C is more widely used with crap cables no longer being made, then stay away from USB-C.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #383 of 15,897
489 EUR :D ... im audiophile and im willing to pay for musical device much more, than 95% of other people, but there is a limit. Especially if you have ordinary job and you live in Czech republic with like 4x times less income, than in Germany, France, GB, or nordic countries. And our imperialistic friends overseas get it for 400USD, even if euro is stronger, than dollar... I bought discounted x5 2nd gen year after realease for 6500 czech crowns, which is 240EUR. Thats the price of monthly rent in our capital city. My monthly wage is currently 550EUR as state employe in capital city btw.

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #384 of 15,897
489 EUR :D ... im audiophile and im willing to pay for musical device much more, than 95% of other people, but there is a limit. Especially if you have ordinary job and you live in Czech republic with like 4x times less income, than in Germany, France, GB, or nordic countries. And our imperialistic friends overseas get it for 400USD, even if euro is stronger, than dollar... I bought discounted x5 2nd gen year after realease for 6500 czech crowns, which is 240EUR. Thats the price of monthly rent in our capital city. My monthly wage is currently 550EUR as state employe in capital city btw.

Everyone must find their own budget. There's no shame in buying used. Half my audio equipment came to me secondhand.

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #386 of 15,897
Aliexpress banned?

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #387 of 15,897

Thank you for being honest.Actually you are doing a bit better then Romanian wages.

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #389 of 15,897
  @FiiO how much will it be in China? 

Odd that Fiio haven't yet stated (in this thread) how much it will be in CNY, even though they've stated prices in others regions:

the suggested price is 399.99USD in the US market.

Quote:
  The suggested price in India is 27299 INR.

Singapore is SGD 569 (suggested retail price)

the suggested price in the EU is ERU 489.99

Dec 19, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #390 of 15,897
Thank you for being honest.Actually you are doing a bit better then Romanian wages.

Considerably better than Romanian wages if we consider Romanian economy and how much the average person makes, not to mention the costs of living. 
biggrin.gif

I'm a bit worried that some people might not afford it as easy as they could afford X5ii, but I guess that it's all up to the sound. If the sound is 40% better or more open as ClieOs stated, the increase in price could totally be worth it 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back