Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 18, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #14,926 of 15,897
Welp, I'm done with the trial for GoneMad. Physical controls no workee. Not a big deal, I'm happy with either Hiby or the stock player.

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #14,931 of 15,897
and the smart playlist
I appreciate the crossfade, even among the albums. I don't have to replayigain very much. I prefer when music resembles a classic CD playback. 2 seconds between songs is just right, but crossfade is nice. From Neneh Cherry to Joe Satriani is an experience.
Flipping through my xx directories doesn't please me. I always use a library or even a better search by text - the fastest way to have a specific taste.
I don't know any music player that can't play directories. VLC, Media Monkey, UAPP, Neutron, Hiby BlackPlayer, PowerAmp - even the smallest and fastest Apollo player, I think it was in Cyanogenmod 8 - such an old man knew that in the last millennium. And it's always in the main menu - Library, Queue, Folders, Playlists, Network etc. But sometimes the main menu has a lot of items, and it's on the second sheet ...It is, of course, a matter of well-being and preference

Apr 19, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #14,934 of 15,897
After a few weeks of torture, testing - more torture, yelling at my family members because of frustration and just being angry, testing and yelling at my dogs (yes a 'simple' device can have this impact on people) I'm now fully enjoying my X5III and finally can just listen and enjoy some g'damn music! Yeah!
I was also a bit spoiled - using the iPod Classic for some years (which is just simple device that just works) and moving to the almighty FiiO X5 1st gen which is just awesome if you just want to play some music files of your SD card. Then I a few weeks ago I purchased the X5III and we all know that it's a slow monster and has some really strange quirks... I was almost selling this 'monstrosity' and use my trusty X5 1st gen again. Then I noticed that there were some clever people which created a modified firmware (Keetakawee) and even a custom kernel (jkbuha) so I was hooked and tried a lot of combinations (firmware, root, custom kernel).
I was unfortunate that my device uses a lower-grade RK3188 chip so the first week of 'torture' my device constantly reboots with the custom kernel... but jkbuha send me a modified 'modified' kernel which fixed the reboots. In the meantime I also purchased the Fidelizer Advanced Rom - so I installed it with the modified kernel but I was not a perfect match for me. So going back to the standard Fiio firmware with the modified kernel and everything was fine again. Fidelizer released his new rom based on 1.2.4 and I made the 'radical' decision to just install this Fidelizer version and just install one extra app - USB Audio Player PRO. This app is just genius! I plays my files perfectly (bit perfect), it plays Tidal files better then the Tidal app (even has MQA support) and 'Album Artist' support!

So I'm happy now. Only using USB Audio Player PRO which plays my files, Tidal, Radiostreams (from RadioTunes) and everything is super smooth and fast. It's tempting to push the most of your device but if you want to play Fortnite then buy a Nvidia Shield :wink:
I'm not using jkbuha excellent kernel right now (It's really awesome and you really must send him some beer money for his excellent work if you are using it!). After the weeks of my personal torture I finally have a device which is super stable, fast and just plays music.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #14,935 of 15,897
After a few weeks of torture, testing - more torture, yelling at my family members because of frustration and just being angry, testing and yelling at my dogs (yes a 'simple' device can have this impact on people) I'm now fully enjoying my X5III and finally can just listen and enjoy some g'damn music! Yeah!
I was also a bit spoiled - using the iPod Classic for some years (which is just simple device that just works) and moving to the almighty FiiO X5 1st gen which is just awesome if you just want to play some music files of your SD card. Then I a few weeks ago I purchased the X5III and we all know that it's a slow monster and has some really strange quirks... I was almost selling this 'monstrosity' and use my trusty X5 1st gen again. Then I noticed that there were some clever people which created a modified firmware (Keetakawee) and even a custom kernel (jkbuha) so I was hooked and tried a lot of combinations (firmware, root, custom kernel).
I was unfortunate that my device uses a lower-grade RK3188 chip so the first week of 'torture' my device constantly reboots with the custom kernel... but jkbuha send me a modified 'modified' kernel which fixed the reboots. In the meantime I also purchased the Fidelizer Advanced Rom - so I installed it with the modified kernel but I was not a perfect match for me. So going back to the standard Fiio firmware with the modified kernel and everything was fine again. Fidelizer released his new rom based on 1.2.4 and I made the 'radical' decision to just install this Fidelizer version and just install one extra app - USB Audio Player PRO. This app is just genius! I plays my files perfectly (bit perfect), it plays Tidal files better then the Tidal app (even has MQA support) and 'Album Artist' support!

So I'm happy now. Only using USB Audio Player PRO which plays my files, Tidal, Radiostreams (from RadioTunes) and everything is super smooth and fast. It's tempting to push the most of your device but if you want to play Fortnite then buy a Nvidia Shield :wink:
I'm not using jkbuha excellent kernel right now (It's really awesome and you really must send him some beer money for his excellent work if you are using it!). After the weeks of my personal torture I finally have a device which is super stable, fast and just plays music.

And plays divinely !! And all genres, from bluegrass to post rock. As I wrote in the report - you won't be the first to sell it, try AK, Hiby, IBasso and back to X5.
The disaster is just a USB audio output to another DAC.
Almost always restart FiiO, also repeatedly, then without sound etc. I found out that when I kick UAPP, Hiby, FiiO Music (all apps that declare USB out !!), both Apollo, Spotify, Radio Paradise and any player play USB out ! And smoothly. 2-3 days and the moment comes - without cause - when the connection drops and restart. Everything runs smoothly next. That is, charging doesn't work absolutely.
It has happened to me the third time. I got a slight panic for the first time, it is not even Vehicle Mode when FiiO is automatically picked up and at least FiiO Music is played. Neither reflash fw 1.2.1 helped. Only after a total battery discharge and about 10 hours of death will it finally start charging. This is the only recipe for success. I found the FiiO blog similarly - with Chord Mojo. FiiO's answer is typical - our engineers look at it. I think they're looking at those really nice Chinese models from FiiO ads and can't focus. Or fled to Hiby as James@FiiO. (He also returned to FiiO)
2 times it happened to me on the stock version - no kernel and TWRP. Always only USB OTG cable FiiO ML06 or Topping USB OTG cable.
You can live without it, but the DAC combo with Topping NX4 has been a beautiful sound. It's stupid, but it was like combining the best and AK4490 and ES9038.
I wrote on FiiO support mail. Nothing. Perhaps the bird flu

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #14,936 of 15,897
Aaaand now, the physical buttons are working for GMMP. I tellz ya, one thing I absolutely LOVE about this device, it always keeps you guessing. I love a mystery!!!!

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #14,938 of 15,897
"kaosnews"

Have you try neutron player? do you think USB Audio player is better?

I also purchased Neutron - and it’s a good player. Personally I don’t really like the UI and it crashes sometimes because there is not enough internal memory. Also there are lot of options/settings and the problem is that I don't really know (with all these settings) that I'm getting the most of this player. Do I need to check this option or not, is this correct? Etc. Others may find the overwhelming number of options a big plus.
USB Audio Player is very stable (after a few days of testing It never crashed) and you can also play Tidal, Qubus, Google Music, Shoutcast etc. directly in the player (if you want and in high quality - MQA even with Tidal). Settings are very clear (you can change a lot of settings), really like the UI and it's made in the Netherlands which is very, very important :wink: (yes I'm Dutch).

Don’t think there is a difference in sound quality. Both are bit-perfect but my experience is that USB Audio Player is a more stable player for the X5III. Neutron is definitely not bad - so it's just what you personally like. Some people like beer other like wine - both are fine drinks for getting drunk and the next day you always have a headache if you drink too much :)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #14,939 of 15,897
Quick update, an insightful discovery, and a request for info from the community.

Version 3.0 is almost ready to be released, and one of the final features that is to be added is the support for DSD256. In testing, I've realised that (on my player at least) I cannot get the sampling frequency to increase beyond 192kHz. Note, this is not what the apps report (UAPP, Neutron etc all report 384kHz), this is what android actually reports on its subsystem, and is the real bit value.

Thus I'd like to ask the community (anyone who understands how to adb into their machine) for the following:

1) Play a high-resolution sample (FLAC, WAV, DSD etc) ideally at the highest possible frequency allowed by the player (probably not in bit-perfect mode, but anything that pushes the sampling frequency to the max)
2) adb shell (or ssh, whatever your preferred choice)
3) dumpsys media.audio_flinger
4) The HiFi (or Direct) audio channel should be active, and will display technical audio info for the channel. One of these is Sample rate, as per my dump below:

Code:
Output thread AudioOut_4 Direct 0x41489300:
  Normal frame count: 2560
  Last write occurred (msecs): 32
  Total writes: 2138
  Delayed writes: 0
  Blocked in write: yes
  Suspend count: 0
  Sink buffer : 0x415c6000
  Mixer buffer: 0x415c9000
  Effect buffer: 0x415ce000
  Fast track availMask=0xfe
  I/O handle: 10
  TID: 11615
  Standby: no
  Sample rate: 192000
  HAL frame count: 2560
  HAL buffer size: 10240 bytes
  Channel Count: 2
  Channel Mask: 0x00000003 (front-left, front-right)
  Format: 0x1 (pcm16)
  Frame size: 4
  Pending config events: none
  AudioMixer tracks: 0x00000003
  FastMixer not initialized
  Stream volumes in dB: 0:0, 1:-24, 2:-6, 3:0, 4:-6, 5:-6, 6:0, 7:-24, 8:-18, 9:0, 10:0, 11:0, 12:0
  Normal mixer raw underrun counters: partial=0 empty=0
  2 Tracks of which 1 are active
    Name Active Client Type      Fmt Chn mask Session fCount S F SRate  L dB  R dB    Server Main buf  Aux Buf Flags UndFrmCnt
       0     no    127   12 00000001 00000003       0  15360 I 0 44100     0     0  00000000 0x415c6000 0x0 0x000         0
       1    yes  11648    3 00000001 00000003      13  10240 A 3 192000     0     0  005AF1A1 0x415c6000 0x0 0x000         0

Would be interesting to see if anyone actually has got a higher value than 192kHz...

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #14,940 of 15,897
Code:
Output thread AudioOut_4 Direct 0x41489300:
  Normal frame count: 8192
  Last write occurred (msecs): 3
  Total writes: 134942
  Delayed writes: 0
  Blocked in write: yes
  Suspend count: 0
  Sink buffer : 0x4161b000
  Mixer buffer: 0x4157d000
  Effect buffer: 0x4158d000
  Fast track availMask=0xfe
  I/O handle: 4
  TID: 535
  Standby: no
  Sample rate: 352800
  HAL frame count: 4096
  HAL buffer size: 32768 bytes
  Channel Count: 2
  Channel Mask: 0x00000003 (front-left, front-right)
  Format: 0x3 (pcm32)
  Frame size: 8
  Pending config events: none
  Stream volumes in dB: 0:0, 1:-6, 2:0, 3:0, 4:0, 5:0, 6:0, 7:-6, 8:-6, 9:0, 10:-43, 11:0, 12:0
  Normal mixer raw underrun counters: partial=0 empty=0
  1 Tracks of which 1 are active
    Name Active Client Type      Fmt Chn mask Session fCount S F SRate  L dB  R dB    Server Main buf  Aux Buf Flags UndFrmCnt
    none    yes  27282    3 00000003 00000003      33 129024 A 3 352800     0     0  0054A000 0x4161b000 0x0 0x000         0
  0 Effect Chains

Using Neutron with DSD128 (.dsf) file, "Oversampling" 2x, follow source frequency turned on AND off it returns 352800. (also any DSD/DoP related settings have all been disabled/unchecked)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back