Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Nov 6, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #13,951 of 15,897
Im using a Hugo 2 , Ifi Black, Cayin N8 , and still using the X5III because it sounds very good.

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #13,952 of 15,897
If it runs some flavour of android (and I can persuade the vendors to release the source code as per GPL) then I'll most likely be able to make a kernel for it...

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #13,953 of 15,897
Just wanted to know if anyone else is getting this issue.
Sometimes when i transfer albums with songs over from my PC to the external folder(SD card) it will sometimes copy two of the same song in the album. ex: album of 8 songs becomes 16. the files all play but its extremely annoying to have two sets of the same song in the album folder. so far its been happening to me more often than usual.

could it be cable connection? or formatting of the songs? all my songs on PC are FLAC 16 bit or FLAC 24 bit. :S hopefully someone else has seen this issue. i'm on the latest firmware X5III FW1.2.1

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #13,954 of 15,897
Hi Fiio, my X5 III works almost always well, maybe because I use it exclusively in Music Mode (no WiFi, no blutooth). Unfortunately - especially with FW1.2.1 - the Music App sometimes does not start when I power on the player and I have to launch it manually; after pausing the player for some minutes the App seems freezed, and it takes a minute or so to wake up, tapping and tapping; the 'Genres' view duplicates some genre groups; ... There are no disastrous things, but of not good usability.
I'd like a new Music app version, with no additional functions & frills: a more stable and smart version would be fine. Is there some plan about this? Six months are passed since FW 1.2.1 and last app version, the 3.4.3....
Let me know, thanks.

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #13,955 of 15,897
Actually - that's not correct. A few clarifications are in order here just so we're all clear on the (hardware) limitations and performance adjustments of this player.

First off, the RK3188 chip has been designed with a clock speed of up to 1800MHz, the FPGA datagrams are very easily found on the web. The higher speed is possible due to the die fabrication process, so it has (and will) run at these speeds perfectly well.

The limitations of this player are not due to the CPU, but rather the battery that's been coupled with it, together with the default voltages. If you recall your O- (A-?) level physics, P=IV, and the (high) power dissipated is mainly due to the default voltages being used. Thus the main reason why FiiO (most likely) limited the clock speed is due to the low battery capacity, to increase battery life. Undervolting increases the lifetime of the battery and components because there's less current-stress through the board. Which is also why with my kernel you achieve higher performance *and* higher battery life than the stock voltages. Remember that low voltages (and low charge current, which I've also custom modified in my kernel) are key to preserving battery life. Which is why my current battery wear level is only at 2% after more than 18 months of use.

If you really want to do this, you can simply install Kernel Adiutor and limit the clock speed to 1410MHz on boot. That will achieve exactly what you want. But again - see my quote above.

I highly doubt that. To date there have been over 1000 downloads of the kernel (with 0 donations incidentally... good thing I don't do this for a living) which probably covers a fair bit the circulation of existing FiiO X5iii's sold so far. The barriers to installing are not OC features, but lack of awareness + tech capabilities. I should add that probably an easier install method would help as well, but I'll try and do that when I have some downtime.

Hope this helps.

So initially i assumed that the clock base of the cpu was 1.4ghz i didn't had idea that fiio did underclocked the cpu for whatever reason, my assumption was based on you're words as well because you said few post earlier "OC". Thanks to you're last post i just learnt that a this clock chip is 1.8ghz so basically you're just making this chip to work as should, thumbs up for this.

Agreed on the Undervolting which i guess is pretty much clear for everyone all the benefits that this brings. Of course less power consumed by the hardware will translate in a overall better battery performances.

At this stage kernel auditor at least on the cpu side will not mean to much, because the cpu works within the manufacturer specs. Still stays a bit of concerns on the GPU side which if i recall properly is been oc to work at 800mhz ? But stock freq. is 600mhz.

As well the oc on ram side. Btw how much oc did u applied on the Ram ?

Sad that no one felt that should donate but to be honest i didn't notice anywhere that a donation was appreciated. To install the kernel is actually quite easy perhaps a step by step guide will help a lot but i do agree with you on the lack of knowlegde that most users out there has.

Regards,

Nov 7, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #13,956 of 15,897
Hi Fiio, my X5 III works almost always well, maybe because I use it exclusively in Music Mode (no WiFi, no blutooth). Unfortunately - especially with FW1.2.1 - the Music App sometimes does not start when I power on the player and I have to launch it manually; after pausing the player for some minutes the App seems freezed, and it takes a minute or so to wake up, tapping and tapping; the 'Genres' view duplicates some genre groups; ... There are no disastrous things, but of not good usability.
I'd like a new Music app version, with no additional functions & frills: a more stable and smart version would be fine. Is there some plan about this? Six months are passed since FW 1.2.1 and last app version, the 3.4.3....
Let me know, thanks.
This also happens to me.

Nov 7, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #13,958 of 15,897
Let me know, thanks.
Happens to me as well. Usually if I just hit the left arrow at the bottom it will restart the app. Every app has its fair share of quirks on this player and the built in one seems to be the most stable for me. I wouldn't be expecting them to support this unit very much.

Nov 7, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #13,959 of 15,897
Good, it seems that my Fiio Music issues are almost common. I understand the complexity of the development process and managment (it' my work too), but... the frequent join between Fiio and users was a good and distinct value: an answer about future improvement would be fine. So:
Do you have an idea about the date for a more stable Music app (weeks, months, never...)?
It would be nice to allow the customization of the default player in Music mode, in order to choose the preferred music App; what do you think about?
I'm still happy with X5, and my impression is that it does not need a huge development to make your Music App more friendly and satisfying. As I see, many people are asking about this..
Fiio, I'm happy in music: would you help me to be a little more happy?
Thanks for your answers.

Nov 7, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #13,960 of 15,897
Good, it seems that my Fiio Music issues are almost common. I understand the complexity of the development process and managment (it' my work too), but... the frequent join between Fiio and users was a good and distinct value: an answer about future improvement would be fine. So:
Do you have an idea about the date for a more stable Music app (weeks, months, never...)?
It would be nice to allow the customization of the default player in Music mode, in order to choose the preferred music App; what do you think about?
I'm still happy with X5, and my impression is that it does not need a huge development to make your Music App more friendly and satisfying. As I see, many people are asking about this..
Fiio, I'm happy in music: would you help me to be a little more happy?
Thanks for your answers.
we all hope that Fiio will keep the promise and will keep supporting the DAP is not a very old one therefore there's no reasons on why they should stop. And yes in my opinion as well they should focus mostly on the fiio app to make it work perfectly at all times and why not add an option to let you choose what app use for the pure music mode. I found that foobar2000 works very as well Aimp. no need to buy expensive apps. just my 2cents

Nov 7, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #13,961 of 15,897
Yes, choose which app use for the pure music mode seems really good. And this are my 2 cents, of course.
Curiosity. Do someone know if it's possible to install Fiio Music app previous version on current 121 FW? I remember that Music app 341 had no freeze for me, and I'd like to check this.
I tried to override current version with 341, but Android exit suddenly from installation process saying 'not installed'.
Thanks

Nov 7, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #13,962 of 15,897
As much as i'd like to use the fiio music app with viper effects, it too quirky for me, if i start the app it just does nothing, i have to quit the app and start it again for it to work. sad. I just use an alternate app to play my music.

I installed the full, paid version of Onkyo HF Player on my X5III and am really enjoying it. I like to listen to my local music collection in random mode and I found that the Pure Music Player on the X5 would freeze up every 5-7 songs, especially if I was pushing next, next, next in quick succession. The Onkyo player is very smooth and hasn't frozen up on me yet in random. Sounds great too, easily as good as the Pure Music mode in the FiiO.

Nov 7, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #13,963 of 15,897
Let me know, thanks.
Dear friend,

If everything goes well, the new firmware will be released this month.
The latest version FiiO Muisc is the 6-12 version, you may have a try: http://fiio-file.fiio.net/FiiO Music0612.apk

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 7, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #13,964 of 15,897
Nov 8, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #13,965 of 15,897
Dear friend,

If everything goes well, the new firmware will be released this month.
The latest version FiiO Muisc is the 6-12 version, you may have a try: http://fiio-file.fiio.net/FiiO Music0612.apk

Best regards
Dear Fiio, that's version 3.4.3 who ever is on the last firmware has that version... no news in town unfortunately...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back