Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jun 15, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #13,591 of 15,897
@FiiO

I finally decided to do some updates. Did the update to 1.2.1 - no issues.

Decided to upgrade the Fiio Music Player with the new version posted v3.4.1 and it would not update - said V3.4.3 aleady installed - any ideas on how that happened?

Must say... not impressed with the new updates. The black background looked much classier and was easier to read than the new white background. Is there anyway to change it back to black?

I don't understand why you would waste time and resources changing the background color when there are other more important issues and features which have been requested.

Is there an actual engineering or software depart that we can contact? Because, they are either NOT getting the messages left here... OR ... They are NOT understanding them.

Thanks

Jun 15, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #13,592 of 15,897
Why are you upset when the firmware update also included an updated music app above a previously released one?
I don't understand your frustration. Fiio have stated the music player updates can be made separately from the firmware, not that they have to. Be happy Fiio did this for you.

As for the white theme, change it back to black or play with the blue. It's your player to play with and the themes are there. Again be happy Fiio have given you choices.

@FiiO

Decided to upgrade the Fiio Music Player with the new version posted v3.4.1 and it would not update - said V3.4.3 aleady installed - any ideas on how that happened?

Must say... not impressed with the new updates. The black background looked much classier and was easier to read than the new white background. Is there anyway to change it back to black?

I don't understand why you would waste time and resources changing the background color when there are other more important issues and features which have been requested.

Is there an actual engineering or software depart that we can contact? Because, they are either NOT getting the messages left here... OR ... They are NOT understanding them.

Thanks

Jun 15, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #13,593 of 15,897
@FiiO

Thanks

Suggest you take some time to actually look at the options :)

In FiiO Music > Settings ) Theme => You have the choice of Classic Blue, Deep Black and Simplicity White.

And the upgrade wasn't about the use of themes - all three have been included for some time. Looks like they just had the white as default with the upgrade.

Jun 15, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #13,595 of 15,897
Meh. I'd be happy if I hadn't spent $400 on a player that annoys the crap out of me every time I use it.

So sell it - that's your obvious choice. Then accept one of the following:
  • Buy another Android based player which will also have similar short-comings (because almost all of them do)
  • Go to a smart-phone + DAC/amp combo (there are some good bluetooth ones worth exploring)
  • Spend a lot more $$$ for a TOTL AK or Sony which has the functionality you want.
Bottom line - every DAP I've seen has issues in some form or other. I guess I look at things in a different light because it seems not that long ago (5 years) I spent $400 on a very basic HiSound Audio Studio V3 DAP which had practically no features, no choices (but sounded great). Nowadays for the same money I get something which is comparatively extremely functionally rich, and also sounds great.

Is it perfect - no, and we should keep pushing FiiO for improvements. But is it the train wreck that a lot of people are suggesting. Well I guess that is opinion - but perspective is often a great leveller.

Jun 15, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #13,596 of 15,897
  • Buy another Android based player which will also have similar short-comings (because almost all of them do)
  • Go to a smart-phone + DAC/amp combo (there are some good bluetooth ones worth exploring)
  • Spend a lot more $$$ for a TOTL AK or Sony which has the functionality you want.
Bottom line - every DAP I've seen has issues in some form or other. I guess I look at things in a different light because it seems not that long ago (5 years) I spent $400 on a very basic HiSound Audio Studio V3 DAP which had practically no features, no choices (but sounded great). Nowadays for the same money I get something which is comparatively extremely functionally rich, and also sounds great.

Is it perfect - no, and we should keep pushing FiiO for improvements. But is it the train wreck that a lot of people are suggesting. Well I guess that is opinion - but perspective is often a great leveller.
Always making a lot of sense Brooko.

Jun 15, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #13,597 of 15,897

Honestly, it's not worth my trouble to deal with the hassles of selling it. I'm limping along with its marginal functionality (for my purposes) until it gets to the point where it will no longer function. Then I will evaluate other options, which hopefully will show significant improvement by that time. FIIO likely will not be among those I consider, unless they have likewise made substantial improvements. I understand being snarky here solves nothing, but you'll forgive me if I get an urge to air my dissatisfaction when I see a member telling others to "be happy" with what I consider to be a subpar product.

Jun 15, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #13,598 of 15,897
Definitely we will each have our ideas of what is acceptable. I'm just advising that in the current market - I think you'll find that most Android dedicated audio players have a lot of bugs and feature restrictions. Its sad - because we should be able to have a lot of these fixed. For me, the one feature which should have been added a long time ago is normalisation of audio levels. FiiO had it working with the X5ii and X3ii - nothing since. I miss the option. I can use it on Neutron - but I'm one of those who actually quite likes FiiO Music.

The suggestion i would make for you though (GH) is to maybe think about something like the Q5 if your phone handles everything else you need it to do. It's my preferred combo at the moment. YMMV.

Jun 15, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #13,599 of 15,897
Definitely we will each have our ideas of what is acceptable. I'm just advising that in the current market - I think you'll find that most Android dedicated audio players have a lot of bugs and feature restrictions. Its sad - because we should be able to have a lot of these fixed. For me, the one feature which should have been added a long time ago is normalisation of audio levels. FiiO had it working with the X5ii and X3ii - nothing since. I miss the option. I can use it on Neutron - but I'm one of those who actually quite likes FiiO Music.

The suggestion i would make for you though (GH) is to maybe think about something like the Q5 if your phone handles everything else you need it to do. It's my preferred combo at the moment. YMMV.
I appreciate the suggestion. Thank you.

Jun 15, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #13,601 of 15,897
lol the drama in this thread is unreal

What drama? If people with shared interests coming together to compare experiences with audio hardware is "drama" - I think you may live a pretty sheltered life (IMO of course) :wink:

Jun 15, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #13,602 of 15,897
brooko in the past few weeks i read this entire thread after purchasing my own X5 III
you know dang well what drama i mean as you've often stepped up to go against it lol
i'm not going to get into it and bring yet more....hopefully these people will some day come to see it themselves.

i guess the only thing i will mention is that people never give up on the idea that "fiio doesn't care, fiio is not responsive"
i for one was pretty amazed to see there have been active representatives posting here all along since this thread's inception.

anyway i think that our lives are quite similar along the lines of being here in the first place :wink:

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #13,603 of 15,897
Oh - I see that as less drama, and just some people trying to make a huge issue out of something that often affects a few, and not really having a lot of experience with other DAPs (so no real reference to balance against). There is the occasional stirrer who seems intent on bad mouthing FiiO at any opportunity - but you get that in many other threads too (with different manufacturers).

I think if people approached the issues differently, and realised FiiO are trying to make things better - but they are still learning a lot of the ins and outs of the software they're using - then they might temper their approach a little better. I guess I work a little closer to some of the FiiO staff - and I have found them to be incredibly polite, always willing to help, but also quite frank when they come up with an issue they can't solve. And that happens a lot - they are a lot better with hardware than software.

Funny thing is though - X5iii - yep still has some bugs, and probably more than that - still has some missing features. But compare it to other DAPs bin same price range - and they have many of the same short-comings. Like I said - I'm a realist. I also recognise that if something isn't working - you sell it, move on, and appreciate that others might actually be OK with the device you don't like. It does more harm than good if you constantly deriding a product because it doesn't meet your individual needs. We are all different - thats one of the first things to learn. The world doesn't revolve around us - that is the second. Hard ideas/ideals to work with though :wink:

For FiiO's part - it would be nice if they could give a roadmap for each product. What they are working on, and what won't be. I've been waiting for replay-gain (normalisation) forever. Just a little hint of whether it is on their radar and when would be appreciated.

For those who haven't the time to wait - for around the same price of the X5iii, you can get the Q5 and pair it to your smartphone. great sound - all your smart phone's features. Win - Win - Win.

Life's too short to get bitter and twisted over a device. Thats my view anyway.

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #13,604 of 15,897
For those who haven't the time to wait - for around the same price of the X5iii, you can get the Q5 and pair it to your smartphone. great sound - all your smart phone's features. Win - Win - Win.
As a bonus, you even get better than X5iii sound :wink:

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #13,605 of 15,897
Oh - I see that as less drama, and just some people trying to make a huge issue out of something that often affects a few, and not really having a lot of experience with other DAPs (so no real reference to balance against). There is the occasional stirrer who seems intent on bad mouthing FiiO at any opportunity - but you get that in many other threads too (with different manufacturers).

Funny thing is though - X5iii - yep still has some bugs, and probably more than that - still has some missing features. But compare it to other DAPs bin same price range - and they have many of the same short-comings. Like I said - I'm a realist. I also recognise that if something isn't working - you sell it, move on, and appreciate that others might actually be OK with the device you don't like. It does more harm than good if you constantly deriding a product because it doesn't meet your individual needs. We are all different - thats one of the first things to learn. The world doesn't revolve around us - that is the second. Hard ideas/ideals to work with though :wink:
Maybe The Bit was on to something when they decided to strip android of all its features.

Can't complain about something that was never offered :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back