Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 19, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #13,187 of 15,897
Haven't you been to the N5ii thread? You must have balls of steel!! :D

I don't surf threads about items I would never buy or rec.

Can anyone who has or listened to a Dragonfly Red comment on the sound compared to the X5iii?

This would be my first DAP I'm considering since it has TIDAL built-in. I'm wondering how much of an improvement it would be over an iPhone 6S + DFR considering it would mean carrying two devices on the go instead of one.

If the current combo has no issue as far as battery life and it works then stay there. Phones still handle streaming with less issues than most droid based DAP's

Apr 20, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #13,188 of 15,897
@FiiO

When will you have a patch / upgrade that will allow us to put our own icons and names on the 9 EQ's that you have built in?
Dear friend,

:disappointed_relieved:We don't have the plan about that.Will report for you still.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 20, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #13,189 of 15,897
I apologize if this question has been asked before, but why does it say in my X5 that I am running out of space in internal storage, however, it says that I have 26.08GB of available space in NAND Flash? Is there any setting that I need to change to start using the NAND for my apps and stuff?

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #13,190 of 15,897
Only 2Gb has been set aside for the installation of apps. The rest of the internal storage has been set aside as flash memory.

At a guess I would say that Fiio took the decision that users wouldn't be installing many apps but would want as much space as possible for music.

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #13,192 of 15,897
Only 2Gb has been set aside for the installation of apps. The rest of the internal storage has been set aside as flash memory.

At a guess I would say that Fiio took the decision that users wouldn't be installing many apps but would want as much space as possible for music.

Well, I like the player very much, but that is a really crappy design choice for sure.

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #13,193 of 15,897
Well, I like the player very much, but that is a really crappy design choice for sure.

It actually makes sense to me. The X5iii has a relatively slow processor and not much RAM, it is designed first and foremost as a music player rather than for use with lots of apps.

I've got Spotify, Amazon Music, Podcast, UAPP, BBC Radio and TuneIn installed and still have 1Gb free. It is after all a media player.

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #13,195 of 15,897
Thanks for the feedback jokobuba. You may now rest easy knowing that you are NOT the only one with this problem. I have also written to the devs. We'll see what they have to say.

The dev responded back to me and let me know that track skipping via the hard buttons should be working just fine. Even though I was running 4.2.5, it was not working for me so on a whim, I completely uninstalled UAPP Pro and reinstalled it. Now my skip buttons are working fine.

I'm thinking that perhaps my non-functioning buttons were due to uninstalling the demo version *after* I installed the full version. Perhaps some shared code or a config setting somewhere got stomped when I removed the demo version.

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #13,196 of 15,897
Why don't they just do it like any normal android device and not split it?

Yeah, this was one of the most frustrating realizations about this otherwise fun little machine. Let me decide how much crap-ware I want to install and then let me realize that I'm killing the thing and pare it down. I wonder if a future firmware update might free up the internal. I think 6gb would have been a better decision, still would have left 20gb for storage. I mean you can put half a terabyte in SD cards inside of it.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #13,197 of 15,897
Why is my dap runs warm everytime i run spotify offline?

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #13,198 of 15,897
@FiiO
I think it is interesting that Fiio is failing to see the forest for the trees. Let's face it, most of the posts here are from owners and/or real DAP enthusiasts. Almost all of the suggestions being made here are for the improvement of the product through software - cheap to modify, cheap to beta test (we are all willing), cheap to distribute. There haven't been many requests and/or suggestions made here that involve hardware changes.

One can only assume that there have been hundreds or thousands of anonymous viewers that come here to learn without ever joining or posting. These are the exact people that you want to impress with your responsiveness and willing to not only listen, but also to act. How you perform here reflects on the entire Fiio product line.

As a dedicated DAP which is what most people are looking for with this product (after all they already own phones), Its hard ware design has impeccable specifications. While the processor is not the speediest it is more than adequate for a DAP. It's the DAC's, OpAmps, Clock Crystals, build quality and audio quality that are all outstanding at this price point. Now there are those that will slam the wi-fi and the lack of USB3.0 - but these certainly are NOT killing factors and certainly do not affect the audio quality

The mitigating factors are OS upgrades and software upgrades - which are easy, cheap and relatively fast.

Fiio... this forum should be your first line of marketing.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #13,199 of 15,897
@FiiO
I think it is interesting that Fiio is failing to see the forest for the trees. Let's face it, most of the posts here are from owners and/or real DAP enthusiasts. Almost all of the suggestions being made here are for the improvement of the product through software - cheap to modify, cheap to beta test (we are all willing), cheap to distribute. There haven't been many requests and/or suggestions made here that involve hardware changes.

One can only assume that there have been hundreds or thousands of anonymous viewers that come here to learn without ever joining or posting. These are the exact people that you want to impress with your responsiveness and willing to not only listen, but also to act. How you perform here reflects on the entire Fiio product line.

As a dedicated DAP which is what most people are looking for with this product (after all they already own phones), Its hard ware design has impeccable specifications. While the processor is not the speediest it is more than adequate for a DAP. It's the DAC's, OpAmps, Clock Crystals, build quality and audio quality that are all outstanding at this price point. Now there are those that will slam the wi-fi and the lack of USB3.0 - but these certainly are NOT killing factors and certainly do not affect the audio quality

The mitigating factors are OS upgrades and software upgrades - which are easy, cheap and relatively fast.

I think they have probably moved on from this product and doubt we will get much more in the way of updates to software. I don't think they have the skills (command of English for sorting) for example to fix the music software glitches that many have complained about. It works well for me, just wish the sort thing was a final fix. All in all the number of users complaining is probably pretty small to the total units sold, which probably isn't a big number anyway.

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #13,200 of 15,897
@FiiO

I've always thought of the X5III as physically gorgeous but definite software issues. The thing is such a physical gem it's hard to resist even if you have to deal with stuff. A certain amount of satisfaction is gained just by its mere existence.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back